Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Ride Clean

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-17, 11:13 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
there is a single uci gf world champ per age group. not top 30. top 1. wtf are you on about?

you have to be some % of age group in the qualifiers. those are not the the WC race.

you gotta know when @tetonrider is not disagreeing with me that you're in the wrong.
can we agree to not disagree?
Old 06-28-17, 11:23 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
@tetonrider USAC cannot send out invitations until UCI provides them with authorization. IMO, USAC does a good job in managing this matter but most of it is out of their control.
Old 06-29-17, 06:46 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Thanks for linking that. I worked for Carson Hedrick up in Seattle. Steve was his dad. This is some of the first info I've been able to find about his dad's legacy. He didn't like to talk about it much, so I never learned too much. This lead me down a pretty interesting path!
I've looked up a lot of those names. I just looked up Steve. To this point it is primarily a SoCal competition, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it change. We've had visiting World Tour Pros contest, and some out-of-state riders.

It is the epitome of grass roots racing. The ride roles out slowly and stops after 30 min for a remembrance/prayer time. Then it is a race to an imaginary line or intersection - all categories, all ages, dopers and non dopers. Riders must stop at traffic controls and self police. Last couple years the finish was moved to not have 3 lights affect it (good idea). Much of this route was used for the 2008 national TT.

Here is a 2014 write-up and clip.
SoCalCycling.com Video: Roger's Cup
Old 06-29-17, 07:34 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
there is a single uci gf world champ per age group. not top 30. top 1. wtf are you on about?

you have to be some % of age group in the qualifiers. those are not the the WC race.

you gotta know when @tetonrider is not disagreeing with me that you're in the wrong.
To qualify for that single UCI GF world championship, you have to place in the top 30 of your age group at a qualifying race, leading to a potential water-downed peloton of lackluster racers and participants. That's been said repeatedly. Not sure what's so confusing about that.

I'm wrong? You don't seem to understand how opinions work, nor how to actually refute cogent claims and assertions related to that opinion. Simply regressing to quips of "dog" and "you're wrong" is sorely lacking and is a conspicuous indication of an inability to provide an appropriate counter-claim.

You think getting one of a dozen top 30s in one of a dozen qualifying races leads to a vetted, credible, and distinguished "world champion bike racer"? I do not. I think it's just a money grab for a participation event that has a title that really doesn't mean anything.
Old 06-29-17, 07:54 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Some thoughts:

I see Gran Fondos a lot like the Boston Marathon. It's a legit race at the front, and they guy who wins is generally pretty bad ass. Yeah, there are a lot of participants in the back, but that is OK. And sometimes, it's cool to be able to say you "raced" against so and so.

At masters nationals, I don't see many Cat 3s in the RR or Crit. And the ones who do show up tend to be locals doing it because it's local. They also tend to be near the back or off the back. (I know from experience.)

Speaking of masters track nationals, for the individual events, there is no category requirements for racing. And for the UCI Masters Track Worlds, the only prerequisite is to sign up. I've started racing track this year. I could sign up for Masters Worlds in LA.

As Teton said, money is a major component for any masters championship. Those who have the money to travel to races can do it. Money also seems to be a component in doping (to bring this back around to the focus of this thread.) I'm guessing it's not cheap to get on a good doping regimen.

(Side note, I'm competing in the masters track nats this year. I have minimal experience, but I meet the qualifications to enter. And it's local to me. I would not have traveled to compete. But if I were to win something, I'd totally do stripes on my kit. Hell, I'd probably do a one-off kit to change the colors to red, white and blue, instead of the shades of green we use. And I'd probably wear my medal around my neck for the first week, or month.)

Last edited by topflightpro; 06-29-17 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-29-17, 08:31 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Yeah, I'd put being a cat 3 higher than top 30 in one of a dozen age groups in a fondo. Comes back to the whole "bike race" or not, thing. But that's for masters.

This isn't even masters. It's whoever. Make it an elite amateur event, then. Cat 1 or equivalent. A true amateur world championship.

I'm a mediocre, at best, Cat 3.

The only Gran Fondo I've ever done was L'Etape de Tour. At the front of that there are some seriously talented riders.

I wasn't even close to top 30 for my age group ( there were over 8000 entrants), and I actually felt pretty good finishing in the top 30%.

One of my teammates for the event, also a Cat 3 was swept, not making the time limit.

My understanding is that American Gran Fondos are not as uniformally hard as the one's in Europe. But to me a top 30 in about any age group in a GF like Etape would be much harder than just getting to Cat 3.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-29-17, 08:40 AM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Some thoughts:

I see Gran Fondos a lot like the Boston Marathon.
Since you went there. I once told a BF alumni's wife that contesting a fondo was like jumping on the course of the Boston marathon and mixing in with the participants near the front. People still do both to the benefit of their own selfishness.
Old 06-29-17, 10:02 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
To qualify for that single UCI GF world championship, you have to place in the top 30 of your age group at a qualifying race, leading to a potential water-downed peloton of lackluster racers and participants.

I'm wrong?
yes.

first you compared it to usac category champions which have a barrier of cat-3 which is a much lower qualifier. Now you're pissing into the wind about "world championship" when not every single racer in the world is in the race, ignoring that's the way every single "world championship whatever" works. "world series", "world cup", pro "world RR champ", etc... At the minimum, the GFWC at least has qualifying events and participants from all over the world.

I was salty yesterday from RL stuff, but I'm out now on this. You're being purposefully ignorant at this point. Hold your breath for that UCI World RR Championship, though.
Old 06-29-17, 10:08 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
@rubiksoval - You seem to be convinced that all cyclists who do gran fondos belong to the helmet mirror brigade. Your use of the qualifier "potential" applies as much to regular races as to gran fondos. At a national-level qualifier you'll find folks who have trained specifically for that event, be it road race, crit, gran fondo or whatever. Of course there are folks who are just doing it as participants, just as there are racers who show up knowing they have no chance of winning.

I was there at the event, doing the longer/harder version because I had never climbed more than 12k feet in one ride. My group started before the qualifier and the peloton passed us at about 25-27 mph. And later in the ride I passed some of them. The guy who took first did 100 miles/9800 (?) ft in just over four hours IIRC. Not too shabby. I'm pretty sure he wasn't using a helmet mirror.

Demain, on roule!
Old 06-29-17, 10:27 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
@topflightpro, I know you promote races. Is there a standard "cut" of the proceeds that goes to USAC?
Old 06-29-17, 10:37 AM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by revchuck
@rubiksoval - You seem to be convinced that all cyclists who do gran fondos belong to the helmet mirror brigade. Your use of the qualifier "potential" applies as much to regular races as to gran fondos. At a national-level qualifier you'll find folks who have trained specifically for that event, be it road race, crit, gran fondo or whatever. Of course there are folks who are just doing it as participants, just as there are racers who show up knowing they have no chance of winning.

I was there at the event, doing the longer/harder version because I had never climbed more than 12k feet in one ride. My group started before the qualifier and the peloton passed us at about 25-27 mph. And later in the ride I passed some of them. The guy who took first did 100 miles/9800 (?) ft in just over four hours IIRC. Not too shabby. I'm pretty sure he wasn't using a helmet mirror.
Well, I've certainly neither stated nor implied that. What I did state was that a fondo is not a race, it is a participation event. Which it is. And qualifying (by finishing top 30 in an age group) to go to the "world championships" is not in any way a rigorous task for most bike racers, and apparently some club riders who don't race in the first place.

I don't know why "training" for an event is supposed to give it credibility. Would it make it less credible if guys were using the event for "training" for other races?

The guy who took first is my teammate. He also got third at master's nats, and is racing tomorrow at elite nats. Three of my other teammates also qualified by podiuming their age group. So what? I doubt they'd even list that on their resumes. I cared so little I didn't even bother going just for the training.

Anyway, we all have our opinions. Mine is this. I know my teammate is taking a holiday in France and is going to do the worlds. He wants to do well but he wants to do well at everything. None of my other teammates are because, well, they don't particularly care...

So there's that.
Old 06-29-17, 10:40 AM
rubiksoval

yes.

first you compared it to usac category champions which have a barrier of cat-3 which is a much lower qualifier. Now you're pissing into the wind about "world championship" when not every single racer in the world is in the race, ignoring that's the way every single "world championship whatever" works. "world series", "world cup", pro "world RR champ", etc... At the minimum, the GFWC at least has qualifying events and participants from all over the world.

I was salty yesterday from RL stuff, but I'm out now on this. You're being purposefully ignorant at this point. Hold your breath for that UCI World RR Championship, though.
You've gotten to the point where you're simply ignoring all of my rebuttals to your points and making up something new entirely. I'd assert I'm quite a bit more knowledgeable about this than you based on that alone.
Old 06-29-17, 10:44 AM
rubiksoval

Some thoughts:

I see Gran Fondos a lot like the Boston Marathon. It's a legit race at the front, and they guy who wins is generally pretty bad ass. Yeah, there are a lot of participants in the back, but that is OK. And sometimes, it's cool to be able to say you "raced" against so and so.
I think globecanvas already made that comparison, which is a decent one.

But the guys that win it are not doing the same event as everyone else. They have their own separate race. It's my understanding (and I know this for fact for certain races, though not all) if you are not in that elite corral you're not even eligible for the prize money. Meaning you can go and win the Boston Marathon and you won't officially win it. Same as triathlon. You're in the same event, but you're not racing the pro field and even if you were to beat them, you wouldn't get any of that prize money.

But yes, triathlon and running, both participatory, both involving races. But the actual races are for the actual racers, and that's kind of the point all along.
Old 06-29-17, 10:45 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
back on topic.

Tour de France cyclist Talansky uses neuroscience technology Halo - Business Insider

whadaaaafugggg!
Old 06-29-17, 10:49 AM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I'm a mediocre, at best, Cat 3.

The only Gran Fondo I've ever done was L'Etape de Tour. At the front of that there are some seriously talented riders.

I wasn't even close to top 30 for my age group ( there were over 8000 entrants), and I actually felt pretty good finishing in the top 30%.

One of my teammates for the event, also a Cat 3 was swept, not making the time limit.

My understanding is that American Gran Fondos are not as uniformally hard as the one's in Europe. But to me a top 30 in about any age group in a GF like Etape would be much harder than just getting to Cat 3.
You're a 3 who got there by moving up through the ranks of bike racing. That's the entire gist of my post on bike racing being in comparison to gran fondos.

I know little about the competitive aspect of l'etape and the haute routes and all of that in Europe, other than some cursory reading. Oh, and that Michelle Ferrari's son has won a bunch and thinks he should be on a protour team or something because of that but can't get a contract because he's Michelle Ferrari's son.

I'm sure you would have done just fine in Alabama unless you had a pretty rough day.
Old 06-29-17, 10:51 AM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin

Oh, Talansky.
Old 06-29-17, 10:55 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
He's on my fantasy team! Why do I do these things to myself?!
Old 06-29-17, 11:07 AM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by Heathpack
@topflightpro, I know you promote races. Is there a standard "cut" of the proceeds that goes to USAC?
Sort of. There isn't a cut but there are upfront fees.

There is the permit fee, which ranges from $50 to $250 depending on type of event, number of participants, and how far in advance you file the permit paperwork.

Then there is a per-rider insurance fee. It is $2.50 per rider for USAC sanctioned charity rides, $3.75 for races, and $3.50 for gravel races and Gran Fondos.

On top of that, there are local association fees. The LAs are USAC affiliated but independent nonprofits. If I remember correctly, our LA charges $1 per rider if the entry fee is $25 or less, and $1.25 or $1.50 if it's more than $25.

The LA handles most of the local race stuff, including officials, cameras, computers.... I think the LA also would be responsible for implementing any doping controls at its events, as well as funding state/LA championship events.
Old 06-29-17, 11:18 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
placebo at a minimum!
Old 06-29-17, 11:20 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Sort of. There isn't a cut but there are upfront fees.

There is the permit fee, which ranges from $50 to $250 depending on type of event, number of participants, and how far in advance you file the permit paperwork.

Then there is a per-rider insurance fee. It is $2.50 per rider for USAC sanctioned charity rides, $3.75 for races, and $3.50 for gravel races and Gran Fondos.

On top of that, there are local association fees. The LAs are USAC affiliated but independent nonprofits. If I remember correctly, our LA charges $1 per rider if the entry fee is $25 or less, and $1.25 or $1.50 if it's more than $25.

The LA handles most of the local race stuff, including officials, cameras, computers.... I think the LA also would be responsible for implementing any doping controls at its events, as well as funding state/LA championship events.

And then after you as a promoter pay all those fees, you keep all the rest of the money you collect?
Old 06-29-17, 12:04 PM
topflightpro

Originally Posted by Heathpack
And then after you as a promoter pay all those fees, you keep all the rest of the money you collect?
Not quite.

You have to pay the officials - they are organized and certified by the LA, but you have to pay for each one, and their rates vary based on level and experience. Plus, you have to pay their mileage to drive to the event. Sometimes you get stuck with officials who are driving 200-300 miles to your event, and you have no say over it. And USAC tells you how many officials you need.

Then there are venue fees. Sometimes it's rental for a track or city permits or barriers. There may be police fees or porta potty rentals. Police are probably the most expensive piece there. It's usually about $35 per hour per officer, and the police tell you how many officers you need and where.

Then you have to pay for other race related stuff, like numbers, pins, medals, prizes, printing waivers....

Then there is the purse.

If there is anything left after that, you get to keep it.
Old 06-29-17, 09:03 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, Talansky.
is there something wrong with talansky that i missed? serious question.
Old 06-30-17, 05:16 AM
gerundium

Bikes: BMC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Comparing a Gran Fondo to a marathon is roughtly accurate. It's a participation event with a race aspect. The front of a gran fondo is crazy strong though. The most famous one La Marmotte has previous winners such as Laurens ten Dam before he went pro just to give you an indication of the level required to be in the front there.
Old 06-30-17, 07:29 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If there is anything left after that, you get to keep it.
In my case, the club treasury kept it. I got basically nothing at all for being the promoter of record. I don't think that's a rare case either.
Old 07-03-17, 09:12 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider
is there something wrong with talansky that i missed? serious question.
Pretty sure the headset box they sent him after his agent inked the contract had a check in it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.