Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

WOW...REI now carrying Brompton.

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

WOW...REI now carrying Brompton.

Old 03-25-19, 10:21 AM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebikebike
There is a wonderful book entitled "Cheap", that discusses this issue in a insightful way.
Do you know the name of the author?
Old 04-02-19, 09:41 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
Good book on price vs value

Cheap: The High Cost of Discount Culture by Ellen Ruppel Shell
Amazon has it for a dollar and postage, and she has done some YT summaries
Good discussion of value in the auction that is the internet, where traditional value shopping gets twisted about.
In a situation where product dumping is a norm (look at sub $2 objects on ebay)
Alibaba has a Brommie clone for $600, so what if it has a stamped fork?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3SIXTY-Chrome-Steel-Folding-Bike-16-349-Urban-Commuter-Bicycle-with-Caliper-Brake-Rear-Rack-Inner

Support your LBS

Last edited by bikebikebike; 04-02-19 at 09:59 AM. Reason: guilt over large font
Old 11-07-20, 04:04 AM
Jerseyroam

Bikes: Giant Escape, Giant Talon, Adv 1.1 Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Brompton H6R

Hello, I picked up a H6R in red at my local REI yesterday. Gift cards + dividend made the price easier to swallow. I had been looking for one used but was unsuccessful so I went with a new one. I’m 6’1” and I found the H6R to be one of the most comfortable bikes I’ve ridden. The Brompton model I have came with a dynamo hub which makes it convenient when it comes to lighting. The size of the fold is incredible. Love the fact that I can take this bike anywhere.
Likes For Jerseyroam:
Old 11-21-20, 05:10 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Jerseyroam
Hello, I picked up a H6R in red at my local REI yesterday. Gift cards + dividend made the price easier to swallow. I had been looking for one used but was unsuccessful so I went with a new one. I’m 6’1” and I found the H6R to be one of the most comfortable bikes I’ve ridden. The Brompton model I have came with a dynamo hub which makes it convenient when it comes to lighting. The size of the fold is incredible. Love the fact that I can take this bike anywhere.
So Paramus REI finally sold their last Brompton. 1st saw that bike over 4 months ago.
With the Brompton shortage - surprised it took this long to sell. Enjoy.
Old 11-24-20, 03:16 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
There's a shop near me that sells cargo bikes and bromptons, he opened about a year ago. Great shop, great guy. The REI (of which I am an original member) is less than half a mile away. This is definitely going to hurt his business. Wouldn't be surprised to see him either dump Brompton or cut his stock to exclude the REI models and similar. I know he wasn't expecting this :-(.
Originally Posted by Pahana
Maybe this will help the small USA dealer network. As more people ride Bromptons more will want to own one. I was in my local Brompton dealer and a customer bought a 6 speed Ti because she had tried her inlaws bike. More Bromptons out there will mean more sales. Also Rei I'm sure is not going to carry all the different options like bags, racks and parts that only fit on Bromptons. Then you have the issue of repair work that most bike repair men couldn't do. I remember the video of the bike shop owner those customer brought in a Brompton to change out a rear flat. He couldn't figure out how to undo the rear wheel. I maybe wrong but if you build it they will come.

I'll add to Pahana's comments about your nearby shop. Dumping Brompton will certainly annoy all his current Brompton customers expecting service, parts and accessories. Brompton only sells to their dealers so if he cuts the ties, no more Brompton specific parts or accessories.

He could surely beat REI for quality service and accessories that REI won't carry. There are plenty of bike shops that put their own dealer sticker on bikes and offer better service rates or discounts for their existing customers. Even minor stuff like "free flat fixing for life while you wait" for bikes bought here could sway buyers. In this www and mobile computer age, so many buyers do their on line research right in the stores right in front of clerks and owners. A decent website for the local store will pop up as top hit when they start looking up prices.

When I bought my Brompton, I quickly learned many owners are very challenged with repairs and maintenance. It is a cult bike to many who are quite dependent on dealers for help.