Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-21, 05:16 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
For real. Who says that on a group ride?!
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 05-01-21, 06:59 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
For real. Who says that on a group ride?!
He's been doing that ride for over 20 years, and feels like its his ride to dictate. Some of the guys that started riding during that era (at least around here) really like to yell at people...sometimes its deserved but usually its not.
Old 05-01-21, 07:02 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Asking someone to "do their turn" can be done with respect.

It can even be a complement "we are dying, let us draft for a bit!"
Likes For Enthalpic:
Old 05-01-21, 08:19 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
He's been doing that ride for over 20 years, and feels like its his ride to dictate. Some of the guys that started riding during that era (at least around here) really like to yell at people...sometimes its deserved but usually its not.
he needs to be called out on his ******** as many times as it takes
Likes For wktmeow:
Old 05-02-21, 03:48 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
Last day of recovery week, did 90min high z2 outside. I’m a nerd and went to a loop and switched helmets to compare a non aero kask mojito and aero lazer bullet. I’m gonna make a vid but the aero helmet is indeed faster!
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 05-02-21, 04:05 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Did the River Ride again Saturday morning. I was worried that I wouldn’t have any legs because I did a VO2max set Friday after work, but the weird thing is that it felt like it flipped a switch. Never felt like I was in difficulty, I was able to contribute to the rotation at the front, and I made it to both sprints with the front group. Felt like old times.

Today all I did was ride around the block a few times to slosh some sealant I added to a tire. That’s all for today.
Likes For caloso:
Old 05-02-21, 06:04 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked 3,131 Times in 1,646 Posts
Nice ride caloso. With a 6hr ride under my belt from Wednesday (PTO), I kept my rides a bit shorter this weekend, which was nice since I was able to relax at home with the lady and get chores done for a bit longer than usual.

Saturday, I rode my TT bike for 2.5 hrs / 140 TSS. Decided on my way down to Fiesta to drop into a local group ride (Chili's ride) and torture them during some of the open stretches in the early parts of the ride. I think I got about 10' total in full flight (Z5) spread between three sections. I know it's petty of me but it was fun to see the group shattered after my pulls. Headed to Fiesta after for another 2x15' in z4.

Today, Zwift for 90 minutes, with a 48 min A race on the R.G.V. France course, about 4.0 average. After a hard start, a group of 25 or so established, and people got dropped here and there until the Aqueduct KOM which whittled it down to ten of us. I went for my usual 0.5 mi early sprint, but didn't have the legs today (almost puked) and got passed by the whole group lol. I hit up Epic KOM in Watopia for another 12 minutes after to make it an even hour in zone.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 05-04-21, 07:28 AM
hubcyclist

starting trainerroad's sweet spot base 2 HV today, and I woke up with adaptations pending on my calendar, and it's pretty interesting. So my SSB1 HV ended up with less TSS per week compared to the default version of SSB1 HV TR provides to users. Now, the version I currently have planned (and subject to change on a near daily basis) actually has me with more weekly TSS compared to SSB2 HV provided by TR. Interested to see how my plan evolves.
Old 05-04-21, 12:35 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Today is why you practice race day. Battery must have been wonky in the meter as it read stupid low. 200w at 25mph is wishful thinking. Next up, HR monitor acted up the other day some and I didn't clean it and replace battery there either. So it was reading off also.

My hydration idea decided to half choke me out halfway into my 25mi ride. Instead of stop to fix it or ditch it and strap it to the saddle bag for the ride back, I suffered on barely able to get it in deep. Idiot. I'd love to know how Lambie put a hydration bladder under a skinsuit. THAT crap did NOT work today worth a damn other than being able to sip hot water a couple times. Oh, and it was between 90 and 95 degrees the entire time. Winning yo. Winning.

All in all though........worth the learning.
Old 05-04-21, 05:34 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

I had an errand to run at the bike shop, so rather than train outside (+ commute) I stuck to Zwift, 90 minutes all in Innsbruck. I started with a race on "Innsbrucking", 200+ starters, 50 A's. The first hill split us into a group of 20, which stuck together for the next two laps (of three). I sprinted out of that group for 4th overall, then hit up the Innsbruck KOM for another ~23 minutes of SST after the race, for about an hour in zone. Good ride.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 05-05-21, 07:52 AM
hubcyclist

back to the sweet spot work today, 3x20ish, felt pretty easy
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 05-05-21, 08:34 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Did my first 'worlds' ride in over a year Sunday and had a blast. I stayed near the back and didn't work much for most of the ride, but moved up for the three end of lap sprints. Next time I'll have the confidence to participate more up front.

Rest Monday, then hit good numbers on my 1 min intervals last night. It always takes me a couple of sessions of 1 min intervals before I can get my head into them. Ouch.
Likes For cmh:
Old 05-05-21, 11:11 AM
furiousferret

Rest week, needed it both mentally and physically. I've been getting my teeth kicked in since going back to group rides.
Old 05-06-21, 11:21 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

XC race last night. Pretty miserable. Got away quickly and was leading my group to the first climb and technical section. Second climb my HR spiked and I just about shut down. Thought about DNF'ing but decided to just ride at my own pace, which was pretty damn slow. I think I finished last in my group. Hot and dry: 95F/16%RH. I am just not acclimated.
Old 05-06-21, 12:35 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Yikes, that sounds like heat stroke territory! HR spike in those conditions can be dangerous, glad you're OK.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 05-06-21, 12:36 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Commute bookened around work and the Fiesta Island World Champs. Not nearly as good as the Tuesday morning ride, but more trafficked and no e-bike attacks so a different feel. Let's see if the amount of cars and traffic is even remotely tolerable. Last time (first in 2021) it was totally awful.
Old 05-06-21, 02:18 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
2x20ish last night on the trainer. Sweet spot/ftp feels correct again, but man is it hard to bleed heat indoors this time of year.

Punchy **** today. Accidental 1min power record. Couple of other decent 2ish min efforts over the course of the ride. Repeatability seems to be trending in the right direction.
Old 05-06-21, 05:36 PM
furiousferret

Another rest day, tomorrow or Saturday I may do a 20 minute test. I rarely do these and almost always something goes wrong. I somehow ripped off a derailleur on one and the test before that a car drove into the shoulder and forced me to brake (they were stopping at an Orange Stand).

Of course if it doesn't go well, I'll just be like, 'nah, it was just a tempo ride....'
Old 05-06-21, 09:46 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
I think I let myself get unfit just so I can see those fitness gains when I start working out again.

In any case, had a positive week. The kind you want to bottle and open up when you aren't motivated.

Saturday I did a 100k event/charity ride at Fort Gordon, GA (Tour de Gordon). The riders were VERY casual, especially in the shorter distances. Great weather aside from a stiff wind. Figure 8 forward and reverse so you eventually got the wind from all sides. Lots of rolling hills (1450m total). First 100k I've done nonstop. Not that I couldn't do it, I just hadn't. Tried two weeks ago at a charity ride near Atlanta but got a flat and it took forever to remount the GP5000 tire. Power meter battery died at about 45 minutes in and I'd really like to have seen the data but the result was me just focusing on the ride.

Monday I did a mock fitness test. I'm in the Navy and we haven't had an official fitness test since Fall 2019. We can ride an exercise bike for the cardio portion. Twelve minute TT, basically, and the scoring is entirely power/weight (well, calories/weight). Got a new PB with 16 more calories and two fewer pounds since Fall 2019 and the result was a maximum score.

Tuesday I did a Zwift race because I couldn't think of anything else to do. I rarely race. Maybe 5 ever. Did my first TT on a French course. I have no sprint so this seemed like a good idea. Fifteen riders. I was 11th out of the gate. Was 29s behind the leader about 2/3 of the way through at a point where I had moved up to 3rd. The top two riders both quickly faded and I passed both of them at about the same time. Finished 10s ahead of 2nd and 29s ahead of 3rd. I've never really come close to winning a Zwift race before so I was happy. Total race time was about 36 min and I set a new high FTP for my effort over the last 20 minutes. So I'm certain my FTP is higher than that if I can be motivated enough to put out the power.
Likes For guachi:
Old 05-06-21, 10:30 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Dropped into the Fiesta Island worlds tonight, and it wasn't too bad. Cars I mean. Slashed the front often for the hour and tried not to roll too far back in recovery. I mean I pulled through smoothly sometimes, but often found the speed unacceptable so I just tucked low and tightened the screws for a bit. A few (regrettably) solo attacks too.

It was overcast and kind of cool and windy this evening, so the island wasn't so busy. Maybe I'll watch the forecast and pepper this in when the weather might make for less traffic on the island.

Last edited by TMonk; 05-06-21 at 10:34 PM.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 05-07-21, 06:06 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

I took two minutes off my 25mi PR practicing the 40k course last night. Forgot my HR monitor so went on RPE and power. I use the HR to pace a little bit usually. I could have hit 27mph avg if I emptied the tank. But needed to stay out of the haze so I could learn the course. Easy enough course.

The one of very few cars just HAD to get in the way at the only u-turn, so Strava didn't recognize the segment. But, I wanted to hide that one anyway. Not sure what anyone would do different two weeks out anyway if they saw that ride. But it's my little secret for now. Haha. I think it is more of "only race day counts" so don't want anything up until then.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 05-07-21, 07:43 AM
caloso

Got passed by a guy on an e bike last night while I was doing intervals. I was doing 250w and he flew by, just sitting straight up in a headwind. I’m going to get one when I get old enough.
Old 05-07-21, 08:39 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,454 Posts
Two Fiesta workouts this week. 2x20K TTT on the time trial bike using my Giro Selector Aero Helmet. The day started with cooler temps and then the sun came out. Riding with this aero helmet is like putting ones head in an oven. By the end of the second 20K, my visor had been thoroughly washed with sweat and my base layer was damp.

I like to ride with the aero helmet because when I get my head in the right position, the wind noise is very low. This is true in the lead or sitting in. Head position is about the most important technical aspect of TT for reducing drag. And, of course, one has to see the road and traffic ahead.

Second workout was 3x(30” on 1’ off) on the road bike. During the warmup, my legs had the fatigue feeling and like I was dragging and anchor. I thought, this is going to be a hard workout. My legs opened up and the workout felt about right for the power produced and I hit 130% for the 30” intervals. FTP seems about right.

Today is my wife’s BD and for 9 days we are the same numeric age.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 05-07-21, 08:45 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by Hermes
I like to ride with the aero helmet because when I get my head in the right position, the wind noise is very low.
I do once in a while, but usually a Giro Vanquish road helmet.

With the Tempor hunkered down.....it's nearly radio silence. I can hear wrinkles flap on my cheapo older looser skinsuit. I could hear my left pedal needs some grease on the Speedplay cleat. I'm "locked in" when I feel the duck bill of that thing just kiss my back.
Old 05-07-21, 09:12 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Hermes how do you like the selector? I have one and really dislike riding with it. It seems flimsy in it's construction around the visor and I don't like the long tail, probably because I tend to move my head around a lot. Not ideal I know, but a shorter tail helmet might suit me more.

I have a specialized s-works TT helmet that a teammate has leant me for like the past year lol. Now that my bike is configured the way I want, I should probably move towards getting fit and doing some functional testing of the helmets. As long as the S-works at least breaks even for me in Cdr, I'll buy it from my bud. It's much more comfortable for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.