Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

It's All About the Shoes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

It's All About the Shoes

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-21, 09:15 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
It's All About the Shoes

I had been looking for a new pair of road shoes for a while, and finally broke down and spend for a pair of Lakd CX 238s. After getting one set that were too tight and exchanging for a larger size, well, I shouldn't have waited so long. The old Shimanos were good shoes, but after a couple of hours on the road they'd develop "hot spots" at various places on my feet. No such problem now The Lake uppers are very supple, the soles are STIFF, and after a few rides they only feel better. Huge difference between the old and the new. So, I guess you just get what you pay for.

Yeah, I know. I shouldn't be surprised.
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 05-21-21, 10:22 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
six years ago I figured I was really overpaying for the shoes I'm still riding very comfortably, happily and without care or concern. now, after all this time - good investment.
Old 05-21-21, 11:45 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Exactly. I never cheap out on contact points. Shoes especially.
Likes For caloso:
Old 05-21-21, 11:59 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22596 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Contact points like shoes/saddles are so personal, you have to find what works best for you.

Glad you found the right shoes.
Likes For datlas:
Old 05-21-21, 12:01 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Lake shoes work really well for my feet. I've been wearing them for years. I do a very simple test when I try on new cycling shoes. Can I stand tip-toe on them with all my weight driving my toes into the toebox? (Really, like a ballerina on point.) Do my nails hit? Did this at Performance with their selection of shoes. Their cheap house brand was by far the best. I rode those shoes into the ground. It took years of riding and commuting year 'round and many cleats. Went back and discover those shoes now carried the Lake name. Cost a couple of bucks more. Lasted just as well and were just as comfortable.

Now, I have come to issues with straps. My feet do not like them, especially riding fix gear where I may have to pull hard against them to go uphill. I've now removed the straps on three pairs of shoes including my two newest Lakes and replaced then with laces. Ahhh! I'd forgotten what a treat they were/are. To set up shoes for laces, go to Tandy Leather and buy the kit for the brass grommets. (I bought two kits, the smallest for most of the holes and one size up for the last one.) I drill the holes with a drill press but the kit comes with a punch so the only tool you need is a hammer and something solid (concrete floor, anvil, vise ...)

"You get what you pay for" My Lakes are a lot cheaper than the shoes I would have bought otherwise. In fact, my "best" shoes are a pair of really light, kangaroo-like leather, very stiff carbon soles that I bought at discount (last year's) for twice what I've ever paid for Lakes. Brought them on my first fix gear Cycle Oregon to wear on the "big" days; the cheap Lakes the rest of the time. (Didn't mind walking the gravel rest stops in the Lakes.) Well, day 3 was Crater Lake, 98 miles and 10,000 feet. After that, I never put the good shoes on again. My next 5 Cycle Oregons were on Lakes and I stopped bring a second pair.

I hope Lake doesn't change. They have made me very good, comfortable and very well made shoes that have held up very well.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 05-21-21, 12:06 PM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
I'm the opposite. My feet don't care. My most comfortable. bike shoes are $25 Nashbar rejects. When I worked for the Post Office, I had walked the equivalent of two laps around the Earth, but never spent more then $50 on shoes. (although went through a lot of them)
Likes For Jack Tone:
Old 05-21-21, 01:11 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
six years ago I figured I was really overpaying for the shoes I'm still riding very comfortably, happily and without care or concern. now, after all this time - good investment.
My father had a saying: the sting of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price.
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 05-21-21, 01:12 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by caloso
Exactly. I never cheap out on contact points. Shoes especially.
That's the thing; I didn't think I was cheaping out on my last pair since they were over $120. But, guess what?
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 05-21-21, 01:14 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by Jack Tone
I'm the opposite. My feet don't care. My most comfortable. bike shoes are $25 Nashbar rejects. When I worked for the Post Office, I had walked the equivalent of two laps around the Earth, but never spent more then $50 on shoes. (although went through a lot of them)
I'm the true opposite of you. I have a high arch and high instep, and bad shoes torture me. Last pair of running shoes I bought (for walking) were Brooks Ghost, and I drove the poor salesman crazy while I kept trying different pairs. But I did buy them so he didn't mind.
Old 05-21-21, 01:27 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I have a pair of Lake CX176. I absolutely despise them. I've read online that lake seems to have a penchant for padding. Is the CX238 highly padded as well? I'm on the lookout for shoes too, but I want something with very little padding. Something like the Sworks 7.
Old 05-21-21, 01:34 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
In about 1986 I was walking back to my tent after day 1 on the Bloomington Indiana Hilly Hundred, and saw a pair of blue cycling shoes by someone's tent with a sign that said "Free". The were size 12 so i took them. Leather uppers, made in China, "Speeder" branded. The only shoe that doesn't give be hotfoot after 200 miles, and I still have them.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 05-21-21, 03:12 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by smashndash
I have a pair of Lake CX176. I absolutely despise them. I've read online that lake seems to have a penchant for padding. Is the CX238 highly padded as well? I'm on the lookout for shoes too, but I want something with very little padding. Something like the Sworks 7.
The 238 is not heavily padded. There is is a nice firm foot pad, but nothing approaching "chushiony" feeling. The uppers are the real treat. Supple and firm, with nice control using the 2 BOA devices on each shoe. And the sole is really stiff. Noticeably stiffer than the Shimanos.
Old 05-21-21, 03:56 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Correction for OP.. you meant "It's Gotta be da shoes"

Likes For Sy Reene: