Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Step-Over Electra Townies

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Old 06-24-21, 03:15 PM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts

Ok, From the beginning, I always would squeam and squawk about these hideous looking bikes. However, I feel it is an acquired taste. First, I bought my wife a new Step-thru Towie Go (e-bike) a couple of years ago. She rides that bike over gravel and baby heads daily. Nothing ever comes awry. Wheels stay true, hubs stay smooth and solid, frame doesn't crack. Just an impressive build quality. Then I recently serviced a Townie (humpback), and test rode it after. I was quite impressed with the ride and geometry, at least my body was. So, I recently found a 21 speed for a hundred bucks. Bought a new needed rear derailleur, and now I want to ride it all the time!

In the past, I really despised that ugly triple front setup with no chainguard and the stubby mini post to mount the front derailleur.. I really find myself using all 3 chainrings. So, it's purpose really outdoes it's looks. Who knew?
Likes For restlessswind: