Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

GK Slicks tire pressure?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

GK Slicks tire pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-21, 05:12 AM
MrWasabi

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Traverse 1.3, 2020 Electra Cruiser 1, 1995 Giant CFM-4

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 36 Posts
GK Slicks tire pressure?

I know it's not an exact but just looking for where others may be. I'm running GK Slicks in 35c w/tubes on my Fuji Traverse. My riding is about 80/20 paved/hard pack and I weigh 185. Panaracer has the max PSI at 75 w/tubes. I'm mostly worried about going too low but want to still keep the ride on the cushy side. Most of the guides I'm seeing out there are for tubeless so should I just bump up the PSI about 10-15% from there?

Thanks for any input.
Old 06-27-21, 08:32 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by MrWasabi
I know it's not an exact but just looking for where others may be. I'm running GK Slicks in 35c w/tubes on my Fuji Traverse. My riding is about 80/20 paved/hard pack and I weigh 185. Panaracer has the max PSI at 75 w/tubes. I'm mostly worried about going too low but want to still keep the ride on the cushy side. Most of the guides I'm seeing out there are for tubeless so should I just bump up the PSI about 10-15% from there?
What is your concern with low pressure? Hitting a rolling resistance wall...or pinch flatting? If the latter, I think you can go pretty low at your weight. I'm about 240 pounds and I ride 38mm tires (with tubes) at about 2-3 bar in the front (30-45 psi) and 3-4 bar in the rear (45-60 psi). I'll set it at the lower range if I'm on hard pack for more comfort and at the higher range if I'll be riding pavement and want to feel faster (note: "feel" faster; I don't actually "go" faster!). Even at 2 bar front and 3 bar rear, and at 240 pounds, I've never pinch flatted. If your 35mm tires are pretty true to size (and Panaracer tires generally are), then I think you could very safely run similar pressures to me for comfort.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 06-27-21, 08:53 AM
MrWasabi

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Traverse 1.3, 2020 Electra Cruiser 1, 1995 Giant CFM-4

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 36 Posts
Thanks for the excellent input. My main concern would be the pinch flats. It sounds like I could roll for a good mix of riding with lesser pressures than I thought at my weight.
Old 06-27-21, 09:33 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Use the SRAM calculator for one opinion: https://axs.sram.com/guides/tire/pressure

Looks like they recommend 55 front 58 rear or thereabouts for road, 50 for gravel. I run less than that myself (40s, I am 160lbs) so I agree with hokie that you could try lower.

Pinch flats depend a lot on the kinds of roads, some roads are bad and the risk is high other places it is of minimal concern.
Likes For scottfsmith:
Old 06-27-21, 09:43 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
If you have a pinch flat on what ever your normal riding conditions are, then you know you need to run a higher pressure. Or, just wait for the next pinch flat. Or, go tubeless.

I'll probably never have a pinch flat myself, but I do lower my tire pressures and raise them for the type surface I'm going to be on. Chip seal roads get lower pressures, smooth asphalt higher pressure.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-27-21, 11:29 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by MrWasabi

Thanks for any input.
This TIRE PRESSURE CALCULATOR puts you at recommended approx 50F/55R fwiw. Sure, go ahead and add 5psi to these if you want a little more pinch flat protection.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 06-27-21, 04:16 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Ideal Tire Pressure - Google Sheets
Likes For davidad: