Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

inexpensive fat bikes

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

inexpensive fat bikes

Old 03-21-21, 04:35 PM
Ted Noiz
Fatbiker

Bikes: 2013 Surly Pugsley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Buy Used

Originally Posted by trace
I see lots of cheap fat bikes on Amazon and Bikesdirect. Are any of these decent? It looks like a lot of them have hi-tensile steel frames and weigh a ton.
Can you get a decent fat bike under $1000?
I'm 5'1". It seems likely only the better fat bikes, the ones made by actual bike manufacturers, would come in different frame sizes.
If you don't mind buying used, you can get a great fatbike for $1,000.00 or even less. I just looked at a stock 2014 Surly Pugsley on Craigslist, barely driven, ready to roll for $850.00 OBO. I buy almost ALL my bikes used because you can get a great bike for less rather than a lesser bike for greater cost.
Old 03-22-21, 08:43 AM
tilsover

Bikes: 2019 KHS 1000; 1990 (or so) Trek 930

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 28 Posts
A buddy of mine has been riding a Reid Hercules for a couple of years and is happy as heck with it. Said it cost less than a grand, new. Might be something to check out.
Old 03-22-21, 09:38 AM
flieger

Bikes: 2016 Kona Wo, 2021 Fatback Corvus

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 13 Posts
My wife is 5'2" with short legs. She was on a specialized Fatboy 24, until I saw this one advertised on FB.
It's a Specialized Hellga Comp we picked up for $1000. 26" wheels with 4.4" Ground controls. 2x10 drivetrain. Notice the standover height:676 mm!
Oh, the Comp has a carbon fork as well. I can't recommend this bike enough for someone of your height, the wife loves it!

Likes For flieger:
Old 03-22-21, 05:45 PM
trace

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So I ended up ordering the Motobecane Boris LTD from BikesDirect. They just got them in stock (it's shipped but I don't have it yet.) $899, seems like a decent bike and comes in XS frame size.
I spent a few months combing through craigslist, FB marketplace, pinkbike, etc but with the combination of needing a less common size, low popularity of fatbikes in my area, and the bike shortage making everyone massively overprice their used bikes, it wasn't looking promising for finding one used.
Old 03-23-21, 08:33 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked 1,177 Times in 768 Posts
Good luck. Friends of the mine that have purchased Motobecane fat bikes from Bikes Direct...The frame broke on every one of them.
Old 03-23-21, 09:53 AM
trace

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hey if it lasts long enough so that I get an idea of how/where/how much I want to ride it, and whether it's worth getting a better bike once bikes are actually available again, I'm OK with that.
Just not a lot of options right now with the bike shortages ... it's kind of crazy. I checked with bike shops in 3 states. Even the shop I mentioned earlier in this thread, that told me they had the Surly Wednesday in stock … it turns out they never actually had it. They said they were getting some in "any day" and then the manufacturer sold out before they got them.
Old 03-23-21, 09:59 AM
Ted Noiz
Fatbiker

Originally Posted by trace
Hey if it lasts long enough so that I get an idea of how/where/how much I want to ride it, and whether it's worth getting a better bike once bikes are actually available again, I'm OK with that.
Just not a lot of options right now with the bike shortages ... it's kind of crazy. I checked with bike shops in 3 states. Even the shop I mentioned earlier in this thread, that told me they had the Surly Wednesday in stock … it turns out they never actually had it. They said they were getting some in "any day" and then the manufacturer sold out before they got them.
Shortages! Shortages! Of EVERYTHING! I've been calling Jeff Jones all winter looking for a Jones LWB and there's NOTHING! Says he will have more bikes in May 2021--maybe! Meantime I scour the Internet several times per day looking for good stuff. Nobody's letting the good stuff go!
Old 07-05-21, 08:04 AM
Wongway

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for the Surly Wednesday suggestion. That looks like a decent price for a new one from a reputable manufacturer.

Any other Fat Bikes in that price range or perhaps lower to consider out there?
Old 07-05-21, 08:39 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Wongway
Thanks for the Surly Wednesday suggestion. That looks like a decent price for a new one from a reputable manufacturer.

Any other Fat Bikes in that price range or perhaps lower to consider out there?
I ride a 2017 Specialized Fatboy I bought used for $700. It does ok.
Old 07-05-21, 09:37 AM
Ted Noiz
Fatbiker

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I ride a 2017 Specialized Fatboy I bought used for $700. It does ok.
Good one. Specialized has got it dialed in.
Old 07-06-21, 08:21 AM
prj71

Specialized quit making the Fatboy.
Old 07-06-21, 10:11 AM
Ted Noiz
Fatbiker

Originally Posted by prj71
Specialized quit making the Fatboy.
Yep. And Surly quit making the Pugsley and the Troll. And Jeff Jones is still out of LWB and SWB Complete Bikes. I'm still looking for a second bike to keep my Pug company in the stable. Not much out there still.
Old 07-06-21, 12:32 PM
prj71

Check pinkbike. All sorts of fat bikes out there.
Old 07-06-21, 12:54 PM
Ted Noiz
Fatbiker

Check pinkbike. All sorts of fat bikes out there.
I'm happy with my Pug. It's the only fatbike I'll ever need. Looking for something steel frame w/ smaller tires for when the snow is not flying here in SD. I like touring bikes, like the Jones LWB, Surly Troll, etc. Something like that. What I really really really want (in the worst way) is the Jones LWB Complete--but good luck finding one. Tempted to spring for the new Jones HD bike, but have hesitated because of the price and it's probably way more than what I need. Meantime--still shopping!
Old 07-06-21, 12:58 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I searched all Spring for a fat bike in my size (XL) before something reasonably priced popped up. No new ones in sight, people were asking MSRP or more for used ones. The only other option was a whole shed load of Northrock (Costco) 'One Size Fits All' fat bikes, which likely wouldn't work for me or OP.

Through patience and a willingness to drive 2+hrs away at moments notice I did find a good quality one (2017 Norco) for less than a new one would cost, but it took a while.
Old 07-06-21, 01:06 PM
Ted Noiz
Fatbiker

Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
I searched all Spring for a fat bike in my size (XL) before something reasonably priced popped up. No new ones in sight, people were asking MSRP or more for used ones. The only other option was a whole shed load of Northrock (Costco) 'One Size Fits All' fat bikes, which likely wouldn't work for me or OP.

Through patience and a willingness to drive 2+hrs away at moments notice I did find a good quality one (2017 Norco) for less than a new one would cost, but it took a while.
I hear you. I have been waiting for the Jones LWB Complete bikes to come in since October 2020. There are none. And if looks like they won't be coming in any time soon. I found one on eBay some months ago, a SWB, just minutes after it was posted. I sent the seller a question and he replied half hour later to answer my question and to inform me the bike had sold already. It was posted less than forty five minutes before it was gone.

I keep on the lookout daily.

Sad times for bicycle drivers.
Old 07-06-21, 03:49 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by Ted Noiz
I'm happy with my Pug. It's the only fatbike I'll ever need. Looking for something steel frame w/ smaller tires for when the snow is not flying here in SD. I like touring bikes, like the Jones LWB, Surly Troll, etc. Something like that. What I really really really want (in the worst way) is the Jones LWB Complete--but good luck finding one. Tempted to spring for the new Jones HD bike, but have hesitated because of the price and it's probably way more than what I need. Meantime--still shopping!
Trek 1120.
Old 07-07-21, 02:36 PM
Ted Noiz
Fatbiker

Trek 1120.
Ha! That thing is outrageous! Cool bike. Good geometry. But no aluminum and no hydraulic brakes for this ol' driver. I go for the ultimate in reliability and practicality. Chromoly and mechanical for me, please!
Old 07-07-21, 03:30 PM
prj71

When they say "steel is real" they always forget the last part of that phrase. "Steel is real heavy" is what it should be. That's a nice 31 lb bike that would be much heavier if it was steel and nothing wrong at all with hydraulic disc brakes. Really no benefit at all to a steel frame and cable actuated disc brakes IMO.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...rCode=bluedark
Old 07-07-21, 04:41 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
I prefer steel. There is a possibility that at some time in the future I might break a frame. I am heavy, and ride on a lot of rough tracks. I am confident that steel can be welded together again. Being cheaper to buy is a bonus.
Likes For alo:
Old 07-07-21, 07:23 PM
Ted Noiz
Fatbiker

When they say "steel is real" they always forget the last part of that phrase. "Steel is real heavy" is what it should be. That's a nice 31 lb bike that would be much heavier if it was steel and nothing wrong at all with hydraulic disc brakes. Really no benefit at all to a steel frame and cable actuated disc brakes IMO.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...rCode=bluedark
It all depends on the type of cycling you're doing. I'm 240 lbs--and drive hard over every kind of terrain you can think of. I commute in town, woods, asphalt, concrete, gravel grind, beach--my bike goes wherever I go. Period. My fat tires are my suspension. Added suspension adds weight, expense and something else to go wrong with the bike. Hydraulic brakes same. Just something else to fix and fuss over. Mech always works and is easy to fix, even in the field.

I don't buy anything but steel. I've had aluminum and it's light and all that, but it does break. I've never broken a steel frame. Yes, it's heavier. But lighter isn't everything. Everyone obsessed with lightness. I certainly understand not adding unnecessary weight to the bike, and most of my components are aluminum, but the weight-weenie thing gets ridiculous. I'm not racing, competing or anything like that, so weight is not an issue for me at all.
Old 07-08-21, 12:55 AM
Happy Feet

It seems the 1120 still comes with 28h wheels. We talked about that quite a bit a couple of years ago in the touring sub forum. There were a number of complaints about spokes breaking back then. Not sure why the low spoke count choice for a bike designed for rugged off road use. More "looks" than practicality IMO.

Funny that in the general forum they are currently arguing endlessly that weight makes no difference and in the fatbike forum there is an argument that it matters.. considering the penalty already paid for 4+ wheelsets. 40-50T cassette cogs makes that a bit of a mute point. I can crank my stock fatboy.up the same climbing trails being done on CF 29r mtbs. It's the motor, not the frame that counts.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 07-08-21 at 01:01 AM.
Old 07-08-21, 03:40 AM
Ted Noiz
Fatbiker

It's the motor, not the frame that counts.
Aye, and for sure. I'm a big, burly kettlebell & mace swinging bastard. I drive my Pug hurling through time and space like a madman. Bike and driver weigh nearly three hundred pounds altogether. Eight speed Shimano hub, heavy duty spokes, fattest tires I can fit on the bike... I never break down. I roll on and on to my heart's content. Bodyweight and bike weight = momentum. On asphalt and pavement my knobby tires sound like a swarm of angry wasps coming up on the walkers and joggers. They jump out of the way as though they're getting stung.

It always surprises me to see how many lightweights just can't keep up with me. They put all this time and effort into this lightweight bike and clothing and the whole bit, but they aren't built strong enough physically and they just peter out after a little while. I think what has a lot to do with people obsessed with lightweight everything is they don't want to put the work in and get stronger and more capable, so they rely on a light bike; they want what everyone else has, afraid to be different; gotta have the latest gear; they like to LOOK pro; mass marketing gets their hooks in them, etc. I do what I want to do and don't care what others think.
Old 07-08-21, 08:48 AM
Happy Feet

I definitely think there is a place for the "best" technology when it comes to bikes and that is when one is riding competitively. If you have already optimized the motor then any advantage one gets from optimizing the bike makes sense.

But... if one talks obsessively about the competitive advantages of one bike over another yet only rides recreationally, as most of us do here, and hasn't optimized the motor, it comes across that the "competition" is just how fancy a bike one can buy. Using a credit card is not a skill. I suspect, except for a few outliers, most people participating on this forum could not out ride the capabilities of even a mid grade fat bike. I know I just took my rigid Fatboy to Alpine Ski Resort in Fernie and the only thing limiting my progression through the runs was skill, not bike.

All that does not mean one can't choose whatever bike they want. That's fair play. But blah blah blah about how one is so much better than the other is boring to anyone who actually gets out and gives it on a regular basis. On the trails I meet few people who give a sh_t as long as you are riding.

Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 07-08-21, 09:04 AM
prj71

It seems the 1120 still comes with 28h wheels. We talked about that quite a bit a couple of years ago in the touring sub forum. There were a number of complaints about spokes breaking back then. Not sure why the low spoke count choice for a bike designed for rugged off road use. More "looks" than practicality IMO.
Rim designs have change (improved) since your talks years ago...Making them sufficiently strong enough with 28 spokes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.