Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

So tired after road biking...

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-11-21, 09:56 AM
lyle.coop

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc, Canyon Spectral

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts

I recently started biking in NYC again. Some background - I have mountain biked for years with some road mixed in. Recently I started road biking about 20miles in the morning. Yesterday I did 40 miles at 16mph pace with 1000ft of elevation gain. When I got back I ate pasta bolognese and was immediately exhausted. I had to lay down. I couldn't sleep, just laid in bed for a few hours and read.

I drank over 70oz of water before, during and after that ride.

Today, same thing 35 miles at 15mph pace, I ate an ommelete and some yogurt. I'm again in bed - really tired. 80oz of water today.

Prior to both rides I eat a bowl of oatmeal and a banana. I'll have a bar on the road.

What can I do to prevent the onset of exhaustion after riding? I was thinking maybe some type of sports drink.

I'd like to ride in the morning and have a normal day.
Likes For lyle.coop:
Old 07-11-21, 10:10 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
Had a health check up recently? It doesn't sound normal to be so tired after 35 flattish miles. A Clif bar, candy bar or cookie at about half way should be enough food.
Old 07-11-21, 10:19 AM
lyle.coop

That's interesting. I haven't had a health checkup in years. But when i was riding 2 hours on my mountain bike (pretty intensely) id feel bonked afterwards. This was years ago. Back then I was getting health check ups with normal results. Slightly low vitamin D levels.
Old 07-11-21, 10:35 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
It’s just conditioning, I think, and perfectly typically to be exhausted after a couple of hours of hard effort.

Keep at it, and you’ll get more fit and less tired afterwards.

Unless you’re extremely lean, I’d not worry about fueling for those distances. Perhaps some of the fatigue is from burning through glycolitic energy without the aerobic endurance to support it, so working on stamina and getting your body to run on stored energy may help prevent the energy peaks and troughs which make you feel fatigued in relatively short periods.

I’m no physiology expert, though, so I’ll defer to those who are regarding the mechanics of it, but certainly fatigue following exertion is normal, and fitness improves your ability to do work before the onset of fatigue.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 07-11-21, 10:44 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
What is your overall fitness level like? Age? You said you recently started riding. You're doing 2 or 3 hours of riding which is a fairly long ride/exercise.

For a very long I've felt tired or sleepy after vigorous exercise. I do some bike commuting (morning and afternoon/evening) which is fine. However, I prefer to do vigorous exercise rides in the evenings (make sure you have good visibility clothing and lights if you get out too late).

In some cases,I can roll off the bicycle and into bed within an hour.

In your case, if you were doing well with 20 mile morning rides, then go ahead and keep that up. Perhaps slowly increment them longer. Anything longer, plan on afternoon, evening rides, or longer day rides.
Old 07-11-21, 10:47 AM
CliffordK

Oh, I might add mental stress can also be tiring. So, an NYC ride might be more stressful than a Hudson Tow Path ride.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 07-11-21, 10:53 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
I would have the same reaction as you if I tried what you did without previous conditioning -- your reaction is completely normal. Especially in the hot of summer you need to slowly work up the length and strain on your rides. Either ease up on your pace, add more breaks, or shorten the rides until you adapt.

I would include electrolytes in your water. It also helps to have a heart rate monitor and you will know if you are over-exerting that way so you can ease up or take a break before you wipe yourself out.
Likes For scottfsmith:
Old 07-11-21, 10:58 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I use that as a measure of fitness-

if I can do a hard ride & not have to take a nap after, it means that I'm fit. I could not count the number of times that I've been useless for hours after a tough ride.

So the ride intensity can be scaled back, & gradually increased, or keep the intensity and the naps until fitness catches up.
Old 07-11-21, 11:12 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,596 Times in 5,943 Posts
You'd been doing 20 mile rides and then went twice the distance and were exhausted? Does this surprise you? It shouldn't.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-11-21, 11:48 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Maybe try eating some food during your ride. You are probably burning up around 4-5 hundred calories an hour and you could just be getting depleted.
Old 07-11-21, 12:01 PM
lyle.coop

Originally Posted by chaadster

Unless you’re extremely lean, I’d not worry about fueling for those distances. Perhaps some of the fatigue is from burning through glycolitic energy without the aerobic endurance to support it, so working on stamina and getting your body to run on stored energy may help prevent the energy peaks and troughs which make you feel fatigued in relatively short periods.
5'9", 163lbs. So leanish. But I can definitely reduce some fat around the waist line (front and back).
Old 07-11-21, 12:03 PM
lyle.coop

Originally Posted by CliffordK
What is your overall fitness level like? Age? You said you recently started riding. You're doing 2 or 3 hours of riding which is a fairly long ride/exercise.
Fitness is pretty good. I'm 47.
Old 07-11-21, 12:08 PM
lyle.coop

Sounds I need to either get fitter or reduce my intensity / ride length to avoid napping after my rides. Fair enough. I'll go back to 20 mile rides and build up from there.

Thanks
Likes For lyle.coop:
Old 07-11-21, 12:37 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,709 Times in 2,909 Posts
Yeah, build up the distance/speed incrementally. Try to get down 20g of protein straight after the ride eg 3 eggs or a protein shake. Try electrolytes in your ride drinks too.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-11-21, 12:39 PM
CliffordK

You may not have the BMI of the top pro tour riders, but I wouldn't be overly concerned about your weight unless you have a goal to be a top hill climber. Lose 10 lbs over time?

Mix it up some. So some "routine" 20 mile rides. And, some 40+ mile rides knowing you'll be beat afterwards. Afternoons and evenings?

You could likely push it even longer... 50 miles? 100 miles?

Being tired after a hard workout may actually be a good thing.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 07-11-21, 12:51 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 616 Posts
Eat something before you ride. Do you drive your car without Fuel?

Old 07-11-21, 01:02 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
I tend to associate not hydrating well with prolonged tiredness and fatigue after a ride. But it sounds like you hydrated reasonably. I also tend to feel that under consumption of carbohydrates during the ride also contribute to that same feeling to a lesser extent. But you need to make sure you are getting the carb's you need both during the ride and immediately after.

So how many carb's did you consume while on the ride? A 2.5 hour ride for me will have me consuming 300 to 400 Calories. Almost exclusively what I put in my bottles. I seldom eat anything while riding. When I get finished, I usually get another 300 Calories, mostly carbs and some protein fairly soon after the ride.

I also don't worry much about a "pre-ride" meal. Riding with too much in my stomach has always seemed more detrimental to my performance than not having anything in my stomach.

Mostly it might just be you are doing too much too soon since you said you just started back. Also, if you are riding in a group trying to keep up with them, then you might be over reaching at the moment and fully exhausting yourself just so they don't make fun of you. <grin>
Old 07-11-21, 04:21 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by lyle.coop
Sounds I need to either get fitter or reduce my intensity / ride length to avoid napping after my rides. Fair enough. I'll go back to 20 mile rides and build up from there.

Thanks
Or, you know, plan on a nice nap after your longer rides. Naps are great!

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-11-21, 11:04 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
I recently started biking in NYC again. Some background - I have mountain biked for years with some road mixed in. Recently I started road biking about 20miles in the morning. Yesterday I did 40 miles at 16mph pace with 1000ft of elevation gain. When I got back I ate pasta bolognese and was immediately exhausted. I had to lay down. I couldn't sleep, just laid in bed for a few hours and read.

I drank over 70oz of water before, during and after that ride.

Today, same thing 35 miles at 15mph pace, I ate an ommelete and some yogurt. I'm again in bed - really tired. 80oz of water today.

Prior to both rides I eat a bowl of oatmeal and a banana. I'll have a bar on the road.

What can I do to prevent the onset of exhaustion after riding? I was thinking maybe some type of sports drink.

I'd like to ride in the morning and have a normal day.
80 oz of water during the ride???? or 80 oz of water in 24 hrs ? Typically, water intake should be in the 20 to 24 oz an hour range. At 15 mph, you are looking at 2.25 hours or so...so maybe 40 at the most.

But like others have said, could be conditioning. I did 50 on Saturday then came home and did 2.5 hours of yard work in the sweltering heat\humidity of Florida, but I am used to these conditions.

Old 07-12-21, 05:26 AM
mgwilder

Bikes: 2009 BMC Team Machine, 2012 Jamis Supernova

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
It could be conditioning, or not...

I've ridden for decades. I competed in my 20's and have always been active in one activity or another. My weight fluctuated but I was never obese. I've always had high cholesterol and have taken medication to control it.

I was doing about 200 miles a week at the time (9 years ago). I live across the river from you and often ride up 9W to Piermont and Nyack. I would be tired after my rides like you. When I bought a Garmin I noticed that I would have crazy high HR during parts of my rides, especially during climbs (Clausland, Tweet, Alpine, etc...), like nutz high (240 bpm/50 y.o.). I never really paid it much mind. I'd roll to the cafe, grab an iced tea and a scone and catch my breath.

My wife, in an effort to get me off of statins, sent me to her Cardiologist, who she thought was brilliant. I tell her my stories and give her my riding details and she's stunned. She can't believe my data. So, I do a stress test, which I am sure I'm going to ace. Within 6 minutes she takes me off the treadmill. I'm a damn cyclist, how do I fail a stress test! After going through a battery of other tests (all complete fails) it is determined that 2 of my coronary arteries are completely occluded and the other three have major blockages. The only thing that's keeping me alive is "The most complex set of collateral vessels I have ever seen"-Head Thoracic Surgeon, Beth Isreal.

Don't screw around. Get checked out by a Cardiologist. My first mistake was letting an Internist guide my heart health and making assumptions based on crap guidance from well-meaning friends.
Likes For mgwilder:
Old 07-12-21, 10:03 AM
Mista Sparkle

Bikes: 2007 Fuji Roubaix, 2018 Trek Marlin 5, Huffy Baron (Retired), Schwinn Twinn (On Deck)

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Did you skip your morning coffee?

If I'm up early and forgot my coffee I'm extra tired after my ride. Took a bit to figure that out.
Old 07-12-21, 10:10 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,842 Times in 4,390 Posts

Thanks
This seems like the best idea, build gradually. I'm 67 and 200 pounds and I get pretty tired after a hard ride and I love my naps.
Likes For big john:
Old 07-12-21, 11:06 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Personally, I'd go for the nap.

Also, if you're riding > 2hours in the heat, don't just drink water.

You need something with electrolytes.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-12-21, 01:10 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
There is some good advice here BUT before you do any of it, you need to go see your Doc. This could be basic fatigue from being new to road biking or it could be something medical...My wife was having similar issues and was found to be anemic. Some supplements and she is back on track...
Old 07-13-21, 07:45 AM
lyle.coop

Update --- so the days I was really tired after riding, I'd attempt to nap. Really just laid out on the couch. After a few hours of dragging a$$, I get to the gym and roll my legs on a black foam roller. I'll spend about 10-15 minutes rolling followed by stretching. Then I'll lift weights (nothing heavy). Deadlift, military press, bench, maybe leg press. When I'm finished in the gym, I'm close to feeling 100%. Mentally and physically. My energy level is way up and stays that way until bedtime.

I don't know much about sport science, but I'm wildly guessing the acid built up in my legs after a ride is causing overall body exhaustion. Rolling, stretching and lifting is helping speed up the removal of the acid. Does this idea hold up with current views in sports science?

I'm going to do a ride tomorrow morning, refuel and relax for an hour and then hit the gym. I'm interested in seeing what my energy levels are like during the rest of the day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.