Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Can anyone recommend any very large seats?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Can anyone recommend any very large seats?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-21, 02:25 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
16" wide (406.4mm) saddle on my Day6 semi recumbent. I've bicycled numerous 50+ mile rides since purchasing the bike earlier this year. During my 115 mile 71st year Birthday Ride last Saturday I rode a comfy 15.51 mile segment with it under my .tuchus.

Old 07-13-21, 04:20 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
If you can accept you don't know anything about bike fit or comfort!
I hope you get a lot of pleasure out of being insulting.

You know a tiny bit about me from the little information I have shared on this forum.

Other than that, You don't know anything about me, or anything about what I know.

It seems you think you are highly intelligent, and if I do something different to you, I don't know anything.

People who say those kind of things are normally trying to compensate for feeling inferior.

What about all the other people who use large seats. Do none of them know anything about bike fit and comfort?
Likes For alo:
Old 07-13-21, 04:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Somehow Schwinn has sold a bunch of Airdyne exercycles with monstrous seats.

If they thought people wanted minimalistic road racing seats, they would have sold them with those instead. And, people pedal them just like a bicycle, except the arms move too.

I've ridden one and I really didn't think much about the seat.

I was only on a bikeshare bike for a few minutes, but I believe they also used fairly substantial seats (although not as large as the exercycles).

Many road riders find that if they take a few months off from riding (winter break), then their rear end can be a little touchy for the first couple of rides.

Perhaps the larger seats do better at avoiding those localized pressure points.
None of the saddles you are posting or discussing are shaped like the op. It's very wide, but it also is concave. BTW, I've used an Airdyne, and I don't think the position is anything like riding a bicycle. Even the most upright bike position doesn't match the posture you need to work the arm thingys.

Also, I'm not sure about using Craigslist as a source on this subject as I think we're seeing more saddles people wanted to get rid of than designs that were comfortable.

I'm not against wide saddles, but the one in the op is absurd.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-13-21, 05:19 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
I hope you get a lot of pleasure out of being insulting.

You know a tiny bit about me from the little information I have shared on this forum.

Other than that, You don't know anything about me, or anything about what I know.

It seems you think you are highly intelligent, and if I do something different to you, I don't know anything.

People who say those kind of things are normally trying to compensate for feeling inferior.

What about all the other people who use large seats. Do none of them know anything about bike fit and comfort?
Most people have been trying to be helpful here. veganbikes has given you some pretty good advice, and others here have as well. You will probably continue to get derision like this as long as you ask for opinions, yet insist on being obtuse when people offer it. We've seen you troll other forums using the same modus operandi. Like most of us here, you share affection for bikes, so make an avatar, fill out the info in your user CP, settle down, settle in, and enjoy the fellowship. Upgrading your membership is a good way to gain some respect. This is a good place to be - act like you are invested, and people will invest in you. My friendliest bit of advice is to stop bollixing up every thread you start, or you'll burn up everything you've done here.
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 07-13-21, 05:24 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3656 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
I have an Airdyne. It's nothing like riding a bike. You couldn't ride around the block on a saddle like that. But again, OP's anticipated use is different....
Old 07-13-21, 05:39 AM
alo

Originally Posted by J.Higgins
Most people have been trying to be helpful here. veganbikes has given you some pretty good advice, and others here have as well. You will probably continue to get derision like this as long as you ask for opinions, yet insist on being obtuse when people offer it. We've seen you troll other forums using the same modus operandi. Like most of us here, you share affection for bikes, so make an avatar, fill out the info in your user CP, settle down, settle in, and enjoy the fellowship. Upgrading your membership is a good way to gain some respect. This is a good place to be - act like you are invested, and people will invest in you. My friendliest bit of advice is to stop bollixing up every thread you start, or you'll burn up everything you've done here.
So you think it is ok to be insulting, if you give some good advice.

If you have seen me troll other forums, which forums, and what are my user names? I guarantee with 100% certainty that you don't know. I have no doubt you are confusing me with someone else.

This topic is a very good example of some people trying to impose their ideas on me (there are some others posting good information which I appreciate). I have discussed in previous topics how I am tall and fat challenged, and trying very hard to lose weight. Consider the possibility that I genuinely need a large seat to be comfortable. Anyone telling me I don't is not listening. My body is not like theirs.

Last edited by alo; 07-13-21 at 05:46 AM.
Old 07-13-21, 06:22 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
So you think it is ok to be insulting, if you give some good advice...
I don't see anything particularly insulting in the post you quoted. It is a bit direct, sure. And maybe the assumption about whether "you" specifically are in other forums doing the same thing is misplaced. He could have said that this type can be found in other forums.

I would suggest that you follow the good advice parts of his post. Avatar, share more information, try to find humor where it may be found and resist the urge to become defensive or combative. You'll live longer, too. PG
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 07-13-21, 06:32 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
If you have seen me troll other forums, which forums, and what are my user names?
To clarify, I meant other sub-forums here at Bladeforums, not just here in General. And no, its not okay to intentionally be insulting, but I suspect that you have a very thin skin, and that you post threads in which collecting insults and trolling is your primary intent. Its been the framework for every thread you've started here at BF. If you cant handle someone giving you a reality check, you probably should take your schtick over to Pinkbike.
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 07-13-21, 06:51 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
^ okay. I'm not going to defend this one. I'd likely throw a flag for a late hit. 15 yards...
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 07-13-21, 07:14 AM
alo

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I don't see anything particularly insulting in the post you quoted. It is a bit direct, sure. And maybe the assumption about whether "you" specifically are in other forums doing the same thing is misplaced. He could have said that this type can be found in other forums.

I would suggest that you follow the good advice parts of his post. Avatar, share more information, try to find humor where it may be found and resist the urge to become defensive or combative. You'll live longer, too. PG
The truth is, if you go back over previous topics, veganbikes has insulted me again and again and again. How long should I resist the urge to become defensive? Go back and check. Please moderators, go back and check.

When a person is repeatedly being insulted, it might be smarter to quit the forum, than to provide more information people can use to insult you.

I repeat, this topic is a very good example of some people suggesting I can't know what I am talking about. I am taller than the majority of people on this forum. I have larger bones than the majority of people on this forum. I am fatter than a large proportion of people on this forum. If you had a body like mine, you could not use a small seat. I did not ask what size seat I need. I already know that. I said Can anyone recommend any very large seats? I am never going to suddenly agree that a small seat is good for me, because I know it isn't. Anyone who tells me I should, is not listening. They are not giving good advice.

I think the primary issue in some people's minds is, people are supposed to buy expensive brand name bikes, and upgrade them with expensive brand name parts. Anyone who uses inexpensive parts is not smart enough to know how to impress people. I know a lot of other people also look for inexpensive bikes, and inexpensive ways to repair them. I am not the only one. But those with the expensive bikes are the cool people, and I am not cool. The truth is, those who don't spend excessive amounts on things they can get less expensively balance their budget better, and are the smart ones. I know some people have more money than me, and can afford expensive things. There are also others involved in competition, or the type of cycling, where having a more expensive bike is beneficial. That is ok for them.
Old 07-13-21, 07:30 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
To clarify, I meant other sub-forums here at Bladeforums, not just here in General. And no, its not okay to intentionally be insulting, but I suspect that you have a very thin skin, and that you post threads in which collecting insults and trolling is your primary intent. Its been the framework for every thread you've started here at BF. If you cant handle someone giving you a reality check, you probably should take your schtick over to Pinkbike.
We're not on bladeforums :0) if we were the OP's thread would have been moved to W&C for whining
Old 07-13-21, 07:37 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
alo You are making some big assumption about why people age giving the advice they are.

From my perspective, I have nothing against wider saddles for an upright riding position, but the winged monstrosity you linked is not the answer.

Furthermore, your assertion that your 'bones are bigger' is not indicative of understanding of human anatomy and how it relates to bicycle fit. Not saying your bones aren't bigger, but bigger bones don't change the relative location of the contact and load bearing points.

Also, there are loads of bigger cyclists on these forums. I don't know how many are participating in this thread, but there are many many people who discuss the challenges of being a 200 lb+ or 300lb+ or even 400lb+ rider, and these people are on road bikes and mountain bikes and E-bikes and cruisers and recumbents. Most have come to the conclusion that a standard bike fit with a few tweaks is the answer, not a bike with every components' width multiplied by 2.

But you do you, and all the previous experience and observations we have made in our personal and professional lives don't preclude that you very well might be outside the norms and find a solution that the rest of us wouldn't think of or agree with. Your assumption that we are all cookie cutter racing cyclists who are trying to get you onto a 2" wide unpadded carbon fibre rail is incorrect.But many of us have experience with non-standard saddle-like-objects and determined that they never live up to the hype. The only thing we all have in common is the desire to give advice to increase the comfort and potential cycling fun of people posting questions.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 07-13-21, 07:44 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by alo
The truth is, if you go back over previous topics, veganbikes has insulted me again and again and again. How long should I resist the urge to become defensive? Go back and check. Please moderators, go back and check.

When a person is repeatedly being insulted, it might be smarter to quit the forum, than to provide more information people can use to insult you.

I repeat, this topic is a very good example of some people suggesting I can't know what I am talking about. I am taller than the majority of people on this forum. I have larger bones than the majority of people on this forum. I am fatter than a large proportion of people on this forum. If you had a body like mine, you could not use a small seat. I did not ask what size seat I need. I already know that. I said Can anyone recommend any very large seats? I am never going to suddenly agree that a small seat is good for me, because I know it isn't. Anyone who tells me I should, is not listening. They are not giving good advice.

I think the primary issue in some people's minds is, people are supposed to buy expensive brand name bikes, and upgrade them with expensive brand name parts. Anyone who uses inexpensive parts is not smart enough to know how to impress people. I know a lot of other people also look for inexpensive bikes, and inexpensive ways to repair them. I am not the only one. But those with the expensive bikes are the cool people, and I am not cool. The truth is, those who don't spend excessive amounts on things they can get less expensively balance their budget better, and are the smart ones. I know some people have more money than me, and can afford expensive things. There are also others involved in competition, or the type of cycling, where having a more expensive bike is beneficial. That is ok for them.
I'm not defending anyone else's posts here, just addressing how I've dealt with your posts.

I gave you some guff on the pole thread, not because I don't appreciate cheap solutions to problems, but because the stuff you rigged up really did look dangerously insecure. If you can ride it safely, more power to you, but when you post stuff, it's a natural assumption that you're advocating its use for other people, so I think that makes discussing its safety (or lack thereof) fair game.
I understand that you live and ride in a very different context than I do, with a body that is very different from mine, so I try not to use myself and my situation as some sort of norm to judge you by.

I have ridden was I was 300 plus pounds and 5'9", so I'm not questioning your assessment you need a big seat because I did (and no, I don't buy that "have to call it a saddle" nonsense, I use the words interchangeably). I am concerned here because the picture in your OP really looks like the thing would be unrideable.

I posted a link to a saddle I found comfortable at 300+ pounds, The link was kind of crappy, but it's available from Amazon at $20.08, which I think might be in your budget. It's the Avenir Gel Sprung Ergonomic Cycling Saddle. If you try googling it, maybe it's available where you live at some sort of reasonable price. I actually had it on my bike after I lost about 140 pounds, and rode a couple centuries on it (very slow ones, mind you), so I can vouch for it not causing major problems.
Old 07-13-21, 08:13 AM
alo

If I get what you are trying to say, it is not something I can respond to without examples.

Don't waste a lot of time, but if you can think of a small number of examples that stand out, send me a personal message. We don't want to get even more off topic. If you have genuinely good suggestions, I will take them on board. I repeat, don't waste a lot of time. Only if it is something you can do quickly.

I may have written some things in a hurry, and if analyzed in detail, maybe they could be expressed better.

There are some issues where a short answer does not adequately explain all the details, and people make false assumptions about the details.

There are definitely some things I know, that are impossible to get people to understand who have lived in a different place. For example:

In Australia, I might get harassed by a dog once in 10 years. Where I am now, I get harassed by numbers of dogs every day. Dogs are just left to run wild here. Many people get bitten.

The amount of mud and dust that my bike gets exposed to here is 1000 times the amount of mud and dust my bike gets exposed to in Australia. People in first world countries that have not been here, don't understand even if I tell them.

I replaced my derailleur with a $2.25 derailleur. The derailleurs that some people were telling me to buy are not for sale here, and they kept ignoring that. If they were for sale here, I would still use a cheap derailleur because of the huge amount of mud and dust. Jockey wheels wear out faster when exposed to mud and dust. I expect to replace the jockey wheels or derailleur more often than I would in Australia.
Old 07-13-21, 08:18 AM
alo

Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
alo You are making some big assumption about why people age giving the advice they are.

From my perspective, I have nothing against wider saddles for an upright riding position, but the winged monstrosity you linked is not the answer.

Furthermore, your assertion that your 'bones are bigger' is not indicative of understanding of human anatomy and how it relates to bicycle fit. Not saying your bones aren't bigger, but bigger bones don't change the relative location of the contact and load bearing points.

Also, there are loads of bigger cyclists on these forums. I don't know how many are participating in this thread, but there are many many people who discuss the challenges of being a 200 lb+ or 300lb+ or even 400lb+ rider, and these people are on road bikes and mountain bikes and E-bikes and cruisers and recumbents. Most have come to the conclusion that a standard bike fit with a few tweaks is the answer, not a bike with every components' width multiplied by 2.

But you do you, and all the previous experience and observations we have made in our personal and professional lives don't preclude that you very well might be outside the norms and find a solution that the rest of us wouldn't think of or agree with. Your assumption that we are all cookie cutter racing cyclists who are trying to get you onto a 2" wide unpadded carbon fibre rail is incorrect.But many of us have experience with non-standard saddle-like-objects and determined that they never live up to the hype. The only thing we all have in common is the desire to give advice to increase the comfort and potential cycling fun of people posting questions.
I know you're genuine, but even genuine people can have different opinions. We can all learn from each other.

Even if you can explain that I can use a smaller saddle, what may theoretically be possible, may be something I find uncomfortable. Even if I want to use a larger saddle just because it is my personal preference, people should be able to accept that.
Old 07-13-21, 08:37 AM
alo

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I'm not defending anyone else's posts here, just addressing how I've dealt with your posts.

I gave you some guff on the pole thread, not because I don't appreciate cheap solutions to problems, but because the stuff you rigged up really did look dangerously insecure. If you can ride it safely, more power to you, but when you post stuff, it's a natural assumption that you're advocating its use for other people, so I think that makes discussing its safety (or lack thereof) fair game.
I understand that you live and ride in a very different context than I do, with a body that is very different from mine, so I try not to use myself and my situation as some sort of norm to judge you by.

I have ridden was I was 300 plus pounds and 5'9", so I'm not questioning your assessment you need a big seat because I did (and no, I don't buy that "have to call it a saddle" nonsense, I use the words interchangeably). I am concerned here because the picture in your OP really looks like the thing would be unrideable.

I posted a link to a saddle I found comfortable at 300+ pounds, The link was kind of crappy, but it's available from Amazon at $20.08, which I think might be in your budget. It's the Avenir Gel Sprung Ergonomic Cycling Saddle. If you try googling it, maybe it's available where you live at some sort of reasonable price. I actually had it on my bike after I lost about 140 pounds, and rode a couple centuries on it (very slow ones, mind you), so I can vouch for it not causing major problems.
I don't mind people disagreeing, or even being light hearted. I joke a lot myself. With veganbikes, it has been again and again and again. If the moderators go back and check, they will see.

The thread about the pole got derailed. I said, I first did this so I had something to defend off dogs, but later I realized, if you have a pole each side of your carrier rack, it is a cheap and easy way to secure high loads. I know it is unusual, but it is inexpensive and works well. Obviously a lot of people didn't read the entire post, and it became a discussion about dogs.

I do not have a seat like in the first post, and I said: "But the delivery for a minimum of two is $112.46, where I am. So I am not planning to buy any." But I would like to try out something like that, and see what it is like. I will probably get a different large saddle.
Old 07-13-21, 08:46 AM
alo

A lot of people made good genuine comments, and I appreciate them. Thanks.
Old 07-13-21, 08:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by alo
I know you're genuine, but even genuine people can have different opinions. We can all learn from each other.

Even if you can explain that I can use a smaller saddle, what may theoretically be possible, may be something I find uncomfortable. Even if I want to use a larger saddle just because it is my personal preference, people should be able to accept that.

Can I ask you a question here--have you ever ridden on a seat with the v shape (both horizontal and vertical) like the seat in your picture? It's like someone was trying to design a bucket seat for a bike, and the whole concept looks like a disaster. Like someone else posted, I can't see any advantage in pushing your thighs towards the center and, if anything, it's going to make the problems of riding while big even worse. I've never seen a seat designed like that, and I think there's probably very good reasons why there likely aren't any. Again, I have ridden at 300+ pounds, so I think I have a pretty good idea of what the issues are.

Maybe it would be more helpful if you posted some pictures of other very large seats you're looking at and asking if anyone has any experience with them.

Also, there is a subforum for large people https://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdal...-200-lb-91-kg/ If you post some inquiries there, maybe you can skip some of the lectures from people who've never been there.
Old 07-13-21, 09:03 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Maybe it would be more helpful if you posted some pictures of other very large seats you're looking at and asking if anyone has any experience with them.
And as I suggested above, a photo of the bike with current saddle would likely help people formulate more helpful responses. But that didn't happen.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-13-21, 09:08 AM
alo

Can I ask you a question here--have you ever ridden on a seat with the v shape (both horizontal and vertical) like the seat in your picture? It's like someone was trying to design a bucket seat for a bike, and the whole concept looks like a disaster. Like someone else posted, I can't see any advantage in pushing your thighs towards the center and, if anything, it's going to make the problems of riding while big even worse. I've never seen a seat designed like that, and I think there's probably very good reasons why there likely aren't any. Again, I have ridden at 300+ pounds, so I think I have a pretty good idea of what the issues are.

Also, there is a subforum for large people https://www.bikeforums.net/clydesdal...-200-lb-91-kg/ If you post some inquiries there, maybe you can skip some of the lectures from people who've never been there.
I have already said, I don't have that seat. But I would be curious to try out a seat like that.

When a person speaks up about something like this, the reaction is, he must be over sensitive. I can joke as well as the rest of them, and I can take a joke as well as the rest of them. On a forum we can all express different opinions, and all learn from each other. I don't have a problem with people who genuinely have a different opinion to me.

I don't even mind those genuinely suggesting I could use a smaller seat.

But I had to speak up about veganbikes. He is trying as many ways as possible to insult me. Anyone can check and see for themselves.
Old 07-13-21, 09:17 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by alo
I don't mind people disagreeing, or even being light hearted. I joke a lot myself. With veganbikes, it has been again and again and again. If the moderators go back and check, they will see.

The thread about the pole got derailed. I said, I first did this so I had something to defend off dogs, but later I realized, if you have a pole each side of your carrier rack, it is a cheap and easy way to secure high loads. I know it is unusual, but it is inexpensive and works well. Obviously a lot of people didn't read the entire post, and it became a discussion about dogs.

I do not have a seat like in the first post, and I said: "But the delivery for a minimum of two is $112.46, where I am. So I am not planning to buy any." But I would like to try out something like that, and see what it is like. I will probably get a different large saddle.

I like veganbikes and I like you, but you definitely have opposite philosophies about things. I might suggest that you use your ignore list function if you really don't want to deal with these arguments further.
Old 07-13-21, 09:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by indyfabz
And as I suggested above, a photo of the bike with current saddle would likely help people formulate more helpful responses. But that didn't happen.

Yet. It will or it won't.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-13-21, 09:36 AM
alo

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I have already had a topic about my seat. I have a large seat, which I bought not long after buying the bike. The covering is split. When I sit on it, it goes down, and the split closes, pinching the sensitive area. I could not find another suitable seat at the time. I used tape for a while, but tape slides, so it doesn't last long. I put a piece of rubber from a truck tube over it. The rubber works well, but does not conform completely to the shape of the seat, so it could be improved on. Someone suggested the seat needs a slippery surface, so I put plastic over that. So even if I did photograph it, you could see a piece of plastic over a piece of rubber.

I am in a town in S E Asia, where almost all customers are locals, and most of them are poor. There is little variety, and it is nearly all the cheapest available. There is probably not a large seat in town, but I keep my eyes open.

I have also heard there are upholsterers in town. I may find one, and get a new covering on my seat.

Ebay does not deliver here. A lot of links people post to various websites are blocked here. With many companies, if they don't deliver here, you cant see their website. Of course there are many that can be seen.

The small number of companies that do deliver here are very expensive, so buying things online is not worthwhile.

You can buy most things you need cheaply here. For example, I have a $2.25 derailleur on my bike. The rear axle in my fat bike broke, and they do not sell them here. I got two regular axles, and had them welded together to form a longer axle. It has worked well ever since.

At some time in the future, I plan to go back to Australia. I will possibly buy a couple of seats online when I am in Australia. I could bring one back in a suitcase. So I am getting ideas at this stage.
Likes For alo:
Old 07-13-21, 09:54 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by alo
I am in a town in S E Asia, where almost all customers are locals, and most of them are poor. There is little variety, and it is nearly all the cheapest available. There is probably not a large seat in town, but I keep my eyes open.

Ebay does not deliver here. A lot of links people post to various websites are blocked here. With many companies, if they don't deliver here, you cant see their website. Of course there are many that can be seen.

The small number of companies that do deliver here are very expensive, so buying things online is not worthwhile.

You can buy most things you need cheaply here. For example, I have a $2.25 derailleur on my bike. The rear axle in my fat bike broke, and they do not sell them here. I got two regular axles, and had them welded together to form a longer axle. It has worked well ever since.

At some time in the future, I plan to go back to Australia. I will possibly buy a couple of seats online when I am in Australia. I could bring one back in a suitcase. So I am getting ideas at this stage.

So I think you've gotten a few ideas of things you could look for in Australia, so that part's probably covered. I'm thinking that since we will have no insight into what's likely to become available to you where you are, that maybe you post pictures of things you're considering buying when the opportunity arises and see if anyone has experience with that particular item.

No matter how much anyone tells us there's some sort of science to seat fit, I think the likelihood that someone can tell you what's going to be comfortable for you is vey low--everyone's butt is different. It's like trying to tell someone else what brand of shoes will feel better for them. There's no effective substitute for trying them out.

But I still think the design in the OP can't possibly be good for anyone.
Old 07-13-21, 10:08 AM
alo

I like veganbikes and I like you, but you definitely have opposite philosophies about things. I might suggest that you use your ignore list function if you really don't want to deal with these arguments further.
Hopefully veganbikes will read this and change his ways.

If he doesn't, I have not decided for sure what I will do. But one possibility is to start a new topic with quotes from veganbikes. People look at one example and think it is not a big deal. If I posted many examples of quotes from him, you would understand what I am talking about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.