Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chain jump only when pedaling backwards (on stand)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-21, 10:41 AM
ronopolis

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a freehub drag issue on a road bike with the latest Ultegra. I have the bike on a stand, and when I slowly spin the pedal backward the chain skips down to a smaller gear. When I pedal forward, the chain goes back up to the correct gear. The bike shifts perfectly otherwise: normal shifting, pedaling forward. I only see this when pedaling backwards.

To clarify, I don't think freehub drag has anything to do with this. That is the reason I happen to have the bike on a stand and pedaling backwards.

What is going on here??

Last edited by ronopolis; 08-01-21 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-01-21, 10:51 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
This is normal. Don't pedal backwards.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 08-01-21, 11:47 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
I'll second that this is normal behavior. The system is not designed to be pedaled backwards. The rear derailleur controls the lower run of chain and guides it onto the selected cog when pedaling forward. When you pedal backwards, there is nothing guiding the top run of chain onto the selected cog, so it tries to take the straightest path from the chainring to the cassette.
Old 08-01-21, 11:49 AM
ronopolis

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, thanks guys. I've had many bikes that do not do this. But I'm all good
Old 08-01-21, 11:53 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Does the chain jump to another sprocket in all gears or only the ones where you are cross chained? Also, bicycles with short chainstays are much more prone to this than bikes with longer chainstays
Old 08-01-21, 01:39 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
I don't think quite normal my bike spins backwards easily although cross chaining does not make it so great but it still has no issue. Something is a bit off and my guess is check B tension screw and go through a complete re-indexing. What shifters and speed/groupset do you have?
Old 08-01-21, 02:21 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
I don't think quite normal my bike spins backwards easily although cross chaining does not make it so great but it still has no issue.
Really? Including in the big chainring/big sprocket combination?

Causing the chain to approach the cassette at an angle is precisely the principle on which derailleur systems are based. Some bikes, particularly bikes with longer chainstays and modern flexible chains, can be pedaled backward in most or even (maybe) all gear combinations without derailing the chain, but that's a matter of happenstance, not a design goal.

I doubt that any of my short-wheelbase racing-geometry bikes can be pedaled backward in the various extreme gear combinations. I'll probably never know.
Old 08-01-21, 02:32 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Really? Including in the big chainring/big sprocket combination?

Causing the chain to approach the cassette at an angle is precisely the principle on which derailleur systems are based. Some bikes, particularly bikes with longer chainstays and modern flexible chains, can be pedaled backward in most or even (maybe) all gear combinations without derailing the chain, but that's a matter of happenstance, not a design goal.

I doubt that any of my short-wheelbase racing-geometry bikes can be pedaled backward in the various extreme gear combinations. I'll probably never know.
No I have a Habanero Ti road bike 58cm. It spins backwards in the big-big easy no jumping. It is Shimano 6800. If fact for me if the big spins good in stand backpedaling it tells me things are lined up good. Indexing will generally be perfect. My Habby is a racing bike type as such chainstay is 405.