Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Endurance Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-21, 08:24 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,730 Times in 1,007 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
That's good, but, well, what's so special about Canyon? And how will I know if it will fit if I can't sit on it first? Frame geometry numbers can only go so far.

No clue about Canyon, sorry, I was just referencing your statement on taking the Canyon to your LBS and asking them to work on it. That's all.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 08-16-21, 08:42 PM
N2deep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
I think two of the best are the Domane SLRs and the Diverge Carbons. Both designs mitigate road chatter which I find essential for consideration due to the condition of our roads and it also helps if you elect to do a little gravel. Another consideration should be tire width. Disk brakes typically allow for a little wider tires, this too helps reduce the chatter and opens up other possibilities like gravel,rides.

have fun
Old 08-16-21, 09:32 PM
cj3209

Bikes: Pinarello; Canyon; Lauf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 38 Posts
That's good, but, well, what's so special about Canyon? And how will I know if it will fit if I can't sit on it first? Frame geometry numbers can only go so far.
I'm only using Canyon as an example of an online-only bike company. There are others such as Lauf. You'll find that an online bike company's pricing is what sets it apart from other bike companies with local dealers; they are less expensive with similar components to Trek, etc. You look at the bike frame's geometry and top tube height and use their general recommendations for sizing. Adjustments can be made in the seat posts and handlebar/stem height. Unless you have very unusual physical dimensions, with all online return policies, it is very convenient to order a bike online, especially with the LBS supply constraints. Most bikes can be assembled in 30 minutes or less, usually front wheel, seat post, and handlebar/stem installation, which is relatively easy. Admittedly, returns are a bit of a PITA but it's not too bad as they will usually provide a return label.

Hope this helps as an option for you to get the bike you want!
Old 08-17-21, 08:30 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4391 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,988 Posts
Canyon are top quality bikes at a competitive price (cutting out the retailer margin). No better than Specialized, Trek, Giant, Cannondale, etc, etc, but just as good. In general you tend to get a level up on component spec for a given price point.
Fit is only really an issue if you are between frame sizes, otherwise you simply pick the frame size based on your current bike and preferences.

To be honest I find most shops harder to deal with and these days they rarely carry much inventory anyway. Demos seem a lot harder to arrange too. So even if I was buying a bike from a local shop I would probably end up ordering the bike from them online to get the mandatory 30 day return policy. I just had this exact discussion with a local shop when enquiring about a demo ride on a Bianchi Infinito. They have no plans to get any demo bikes for 2022 but they do have a 30 day ride and return policy if you buy online (but not if you buy in shop!). They don't have any bikes to even sit on in the shop. It was all very different 20 years ago when you could simply borrow a demo bike for the weekend from almost any shop.
Old 08-17-21, 10:43 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by cj3209
I'm only using Canyon as an example of an online-only bike company. There are others such as Lauf. You'll find that an online bike company's pricing is what sets it apart from other bike companies with local dealers; they are less expensive with similar components to Trek, etc. You look at the bike frame's geometry and top tube height and use their general recommendations for sizing. Adjustments can be made in the seat posts and handlebar/stem height. Unless you have very unusual physical dimensions, with all online return policies, it is very convenient to order a bike online, especially with the LBS supply constraints. Most bikes can be assembled in 30 minutes or less, usually front wheel, seat post, and handlebar/stem installation, which is relatively easy. Admittedly, returns are a bit of a PITA but it's not too bad as they will usually provide a return label.

Hope this helps as an option for you to get the bike you want!
That part about physical dimensions, well, I'm an outlier. I'm 5' 9" tall with a 34" inseam. So I always need to swap parts, like the stem, or flip it, or substitute bars with something "upswept." Just me, of course, but that's my reality. My current ride, a 2017 Roubaix, is as close to a stock bike as I've ever owned. All I had to do is flip the stem since it already had upswept bars and a more relaxed geometry. So I'll keep it for a while.