Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

My First Crash

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

My First Crash

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-21, 08:51 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
I've had three good crashes in the last 15 years and managed to walk (ride, actually) away from each of them with no more than some good scrapes and a couple of broken helmets. One was when a bunch of us were helping a friend move by bike (so towing trailers) and I got tangled up with another fellow. The second was when some kids decided to throw a recycling bin at me. The third was a hit and run when a car decided it could beat me to the corner and do a right turn ahead of me. I was extremely lucky each time. I was going pretty fast in each case and it happened in my head pretty fast as well -- fast enough that I never got an arm out which probably kept me from being injured further. Sorry to hear about your shoulder and finger. Hope you heal up and keep riding.
Old 08-30-21, 09:09 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
Originally Posted by reverborama
I've had three good crashes in the last 15 years and managed to walk (ride, actually) away from each of them with no more than some good scrapes and a couple of broken helmets. One was when a bunch of us were helping a friend move by bike (so towing trailers) and I got tangled up with another fellow. The second was when some kids decided to throw a recycling bin at me. The third was a hit and run when a car decided it could beat me to the corner and do a right turn ahead of me. I was extremely lucky each time. I was going pretty fast in each case and it happened in my head pretty fast as well -- fast enough that I never got an arm out which probably kept me from being injured further. Sorry to hear about your shoulder and finger. Hope you heal up and keep riding.
A recycle bin? Some kind of creative reuse there. What was that all about?
Old 08-30-21, 01:59 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
A recycle bin? Some kind of creative reuse there. What was that all about?
It was July 3rd several years ago. After an Alley Cat there was a party at a participants house. I headed home from there around 10 or 11PM. It was very dark. I was heading down a residential street at a pretty good clip and really the only thing I could see at all was what my light was illuminating. I was just a few blocks from the party when from nowhere came a big plastic bin that hit me in the head and knocked me over. I jumped up immediately figuring it was a mugging and I heard at least 3 kids running away laughing and one saying, "You got him right in the head!" like it was the greatest thing they'd ever achieved in life. It was so dark I never even saw them. Long story short, a couple of people heard the crash and came out to make sure I was ok. I made my way back to the party, got myself cleaned up, then rode home. Kinda sucked and I have scars on my shoulder and elbow from it but no permanent damage. I'm sure those kids grew up to be outstanding citizens.
Old 08-30-21, 04:50 PM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts
Crashing sucks. Heal well.
Old 08-30-21, 07:04 PM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
My last big crash was hitting a rider that went down in front of me on a perfectly sunny dry day. I held onto the bars as I went over. Drove the shifter through my hand between the thumb and index finger and broke a few bones in my face and broken ribs.
No more twitchy light road bikes. I have a 90 lb big fat e bike with a slack head tube angle and plenty of weight in the rear. I have not gone down since.
Old 08-30-21, 08:52 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by reverborama
... Sorry to hear about your shoulder and finger. Hope you heal up and keep riding.
I may be too compulsive a rider, but I got back on the bike the next day. The doctor said it would take 4-6 weeks to heal, but he also gave me a sheet with some exercises to do, and didn't tell me not to ride. My sprained shoulder hurts pretty much constantly, but riding doesn't seem to make it hurt more. I now have a large bruise on my chest, where gravity has apparently taken internal bleeding from the shoulder injury. No pain or injury where the bruise is. Thanks for your good wishes. Given that I crashed, it could have been a lot worse.
Likes For Random11:
Old 08-31-21, 08:21 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
back in the 90's pre suspension crashing was common place.
i smackid my nutz on bars and shoulders into trees alot.
still cannot fully rotate left shoulder after hitting a tree..
a good ride often had 1 good spill.
Old 08-31-21, 07:50 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
...a good ride often had 1 good spill.
That would be reason enough for me to quit riding.
Old 09-01-21, 03:12 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11
That would be reason enough for me to quit riding.
I did for awhile...then returned. this happened a few times in past 30 years.
​i am back again not as crazy.more careful.
older more careful enjoying it
Old 09-04-21, 09:31 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4405 Post(s)
Liked 4,856 Times in 3,004 Posts
Originally Posted by 3Roch
With an assortment of motocross racing and skiing crashes in my history I have had a number where everything slowed down ....and a number where it was just WACK. My theory is that if your brain has time to realize something really bad is about to happen it slows things down, if it doesn't have that1/4 second of warning things don't slow down. I always thought it would be nice to be able to turn that on manually.
Interesting theory. Thinking back to my crashes, I'm pretty sure most of them were in the "slow motion" category. But I did have one skiing crash that was WACK! I was skiing along in flat light and didn't notice a sudden 2m step down. So I suddenly dropped 2 m and fell backwards hitting my head. Helmet did a good job and I got away very lightly with a stiff neck. But all my bike crashes I've seen coming, so no element of total surprise. So as you say my brain was primed and fully alert at the moment of impact.