Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

2021 Giant Talon 2?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

2021 Giant Talon 2?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-21, 11:16 AM
Miradaman

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Mirada, 1989 Trek 420, 1995 GT Timberline, 1979 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Co-Op DRT 1.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 49 Posts
2021 Giant Talon 2?

Howdy folks, I have the opportunity to score a great deal on a new Giant Talon 2. I'd be using it twice a year out in Colorado for intermediate level trails, plus for the much more rinky-dink trails here in the flat Midwest. I've rented them before and found them to be perfectly adequate for my needs. I'm not doing jumps, drops, etc, just steep rocky uphills followed by steep rocky downhills. My only concern with this bike is the gearing; for 2021 the Talon 2 is going to a 1x with an 11-42 cassette. The ones I've rented in the past were 2xs with 22/36 in front and 11/36 in back, if memory serves correct. So, my main question is, how much of a loss of climbing power does the 2021's gearing incur over the previous 2x setup? Uphills are the big challenge for me out in CO, what with the thinner air and my middle-aged (but fit) status.

Any other input or opinions on the bike would be most welcome. Thanks as always. Bike is linked below.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/talon-2
Old 09-21-21, 11:27 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
I have a 26/36 with 11/42t 11 speed on my carbon frame Felt, 29" wheels. 26/42 would be sufficient for pretty much any climb. i think you should be fine with a 30 or 32t ring (depending on which wheel size you are looking into) , but if we are talking about very crazy hills, it can prove to be slightly challenging. 30t might spin you out going down the hills, but you wouldnt need to be going any faster for safeties sake.

I would prefer 27.5 for climbing, acceleration/braking/handling response. it should work better for your needs. only thing to note is that low end suntour fork. Never liked them. heavy, slow response, not very good dampening. You might want to replace it with an air fork if you get this bike.
Old 09-21-21, 11:32 AM
Miradaman

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Mirada, 1989 Trek 420, 1995 GT Timberline, 1979 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Co-Op DRT 1.3

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
I have a 26/36 with 11/42t 11 speed on my carbon frame Felt, 29" wheels. 26/42 would be sufficient for pretty much any climb. i think you should be fine with a 30 or 32t ring (depending on which wheel size you are looking into) , but if we are talking about very crazy hills, it can prove to be slightly challenging. 30t might spin you out going down the hills, but you wouldnt need to be going any faster for safeties sake.

I would prefer 27.5 for climbing, acceleration/braking/handling response. it should work better for your needs. only thing to note is that low end suntour fork. Never liked them. heavy, slow response, not very good dampening. You might want to replace it with an air fork if you get this bike.
Yeah, I've ridden both 27.5 and 29 out in CO and I prefer 27.5 so that's what I would go with. Given the limitations of this bike, I was wondering if it was worth buying at all, deal or no, or if I'd be better off just continuing to rent when I go out there and keep riding my GT back home here in the Midwest.
Old 09-21-21, 11:42 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Miradaman
Yeah, I've ridden both 27.5 and 29 out in CO and I prefer 27.5 so that's what I would go with. Given the limitations of this bike, I was wondering if it was worth buying at all, deal or no, or if I'd be better off just continuing to rent when I go out there and keep riding my GT back home here in the Midwest.
If only twice a year, rent.
Likes For Moisture:
Old 03-28-22, 02:34 PM
androxylo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dear Talon owners - if you don't mind can you scale your model and post how much it weights? Giant doesn't post any weight stats officially.