Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

So How Many Have Never Tandem?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

So How Many Have Never Tandem?

Old 02-07-20, 09:00 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1776 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 983 Posts
I borrowed one from a co-worker for a weekend, tried experimenting with it as a touring rig, a version of an 'xtra-cycle' with the panniers on the rear. Didn't really work out that well. The thing I remember most about it was the big turning radius created by the wheelbase that made it inconvenient to turn around on a street or a MUP.

Q: Whenever I see a couple riding one, its always the man in the front and the woman in the rear; any reason for that? I know the majority of the power driving the wheels comes from the person in front, but I've never seen a female up front and wondered if some of you with a complaining S.O. have ever tried it the other way around (so she sets the pace).
Old 02-07-20, 09:13 AM
honcho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
Q: Whenever I see a couple riding one, its always the man in the front and the woman in the rear; any reason for that? I know the majority of the power driving the wheels comes from the person in front, but I've never seen a female up front and wondered if some of you with a complaining S.O. have ever tried it the other way around (so she sets the pace).
Yes, it's very typical to see mixed gender teams with the male up front. From our experience it seems to make sense for the heavier (and perhaps stronger) rider up front as it takes some strength and body english to get things going and maneuver. I'd like to be a stoker at times but whenever we've tried it, even on bikes that were adjustable for for our height difference, the 80 lb weight difference between us made it difficult for my partner to control the bike. When I've ridden our tandem with a partner the same weight as me, the dynamics are very different even though my regular and much lighter partner is very fit and has excellent endurance.
Old 02-07-20, 09:33 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
We first rode a rental tandem in 1978 at Cades Cove in Great Smoky Mtn National Park. Fun, but we continued to ride single bikes together.

Didn't ride one again until we bought our first one in 2000.The goal was to ride together when we rode the Hilly Hundred and other rides. Fun, and we met the goal.

After a decade riding the KHS tandem, we moved on up to riding a RANS recumbent tandem in 2011. No slower and much more comfortable for longer rides.

We enjoy riding tandems by ourselves (the two of us) and with others on club rides - including with our local tandem club and at the last several annual Midwest Tandem Rallies, with hundreds of other Tandemists. Still much fun. But, we also now enjoy riding together on single bikes - my stoker on her e-assist Trek and me on one of my RANS bikes.

Last edited by JanMM; 02-07-20 at 09:36 AM.
Likes For JanMM:
Old 02-07-20, 09:56 AM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I bought one once. I tried it with my wife, and she screamed at me the whole time saying that I was trying to kill her. By the end of the ride, that seemed like a reasonable option.
This.
I have bikes, she's got yoga and it keeps us separate and yet together.
Likes For bargo68:
Old 02-07-20, 10:07 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Mrs. Grouch and I have ridden tandems together for decades.

My take is that riding a tandem is more about the company than it is about the ride. The reason for riding a tandem is that you have a companion that you want to ride with who is unequally matched physically with you. That makes it hard to ride singles together. There is no way we'd still be cycling together today were it not for the experiences we shared riding our first crummy old tandem.
Old 02-07-20, 10:16 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
There was an entry in CL someone posted in the Wacky thread where the seller called his tandem the "argument machine". I've never ridden one, but based on my experience with my wife on a tandem kayak it will never happen. After zig zagging down a river and crashing into numerous objects I finally asked my wife to stop paddling.
Likes For bikecrate:
Old 02-07-20, 10:49 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
My story = same as most others. Bought tandem to ride with spouse. Selected one based on her criteria. Didn't work out with her. After a month of rides, maybe 5 or 6, the 'reason' not to ride she settled on was "What would happen to our children if a car hit us?" It got re-purposed to haul 2 children to school - very popular at the elementary school, where it was dubbed the Seuss-mobile. Then I had a number of stokers, 2 very strong ones. Also a cyclist who had gone blind, a few seniors from a Senior Center fitness program group. My advice for anyone buying a tandem is have at least one 'back-up' stoker before spending your $$$.
edit: contact (or join) an active tandem cycling club, and you will be amazed at some of the diverse requests to try to be stokers.

Last edited by Wildwood; 02-07-20 at 12:07 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 02-07-20, 11:22 AM
tgenec86
Rouleur

Bikes: Felt FC (SRAM Red), Nashbar Carbon (SRAM Red), Felt BR2 (SRAM Red), Salsa El Mariachi 29'er - solid steel, Peugeot PX-10 1972

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 63 Posts
It's been a very long time (1993) but a good friend of mine had a tandem. His wife was an absolute monster sprinter and I was winning practically every Cat.2/3 race in the Tidewater VA area so the two of us teamed up on the Cannondale racing tandem for the stereotypical Tuesday Night World Championships Training Ride. After about an hour we got to know each other's form and really hit a groove. There is one very long stretch of road way out in the country with only a few turns and as soon as we made the turn onto it, we sprinted from the very back of a 30 rider group, hit the front and put the hammer down in a steady intense race pace effort. Seven miles later the group (mostly racers & fit club riders) was blown all over the course with maybe two left clinging desperately to our wheel. That was FUN. Sadly, my wife doesn't ride, so that was my one and only tandem adventure.
Likes For tgenec86:
Old 02-07-20, 11:34 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18392 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
File me under "never." But I have drafted a lot of tandems.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-07-20, 01:04 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
When I was a kid, we had a yellow Schwinn tandem at our school. We'd play "chicken" with it. Not a good idea.

A few years later, a bike-dealer friend of mine got a Santana. We went for a night-time ride on a lakeside bike path. Absolutely terrifying, but fun.

The wife categorically refuses to contemplate it. Maybe some day on vacation or something.
Old 02-07-20, 02:00 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
And 23 Years ago with the wife on the quadracycle in San Diego...
That's something my wife would actually ride with me. Of course, I'd still be doing all the pedaling.

Last edited by FiftySix; 02-07-20 at 03:01 PM. Reason: forgettin' words and such
Old 02-07-20, 02:56 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
There are two things I don't like and would never ride. One is a tandem and the other is a recumbent. No thanks.
Old 02-07-20, 03:45 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
I bought a tandem a few years ago. My wife was not keen on it, and it took a while until she tried it. And she was terrified. But she got over it, and we ride it a bit. Sometimes we do errands on it, as in this picture. My hope is that one day it will enable her to ride longer and farther, but that hasn't happened yet, and maybe it won't ever. She usually prefers to ride her single, and that's OK. She can't ride very long or far.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-07-20, 04:59 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
There are two things I don't like and would never ride. One is a tandem and the other is a recumbent. No thanks.
Never say never.
You don't know what you are missing.
The best things in life should be shared.
Growing old is not for sissies, nor easy on the stubborn.

Besides -
don't forget, two strong riders on a tandem BLOW AWAY 1/2 bikes.

descend at 50mph on a lwb recumbent = no prob. With a full length neoprene body sock on a Calfee Stiletto and Fast Freddie's skills = glorious to witness.

Last edited by Wildwood; 02-07-20 at 06:53 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 02-07-20, 07:34 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I've also ridden a recumbent ... most of the time I'll try different bicycles just to see what they're like!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka...57602327322020

Likes For Machka:
Old 02-07-20, 07:46 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I bought a tandem a few years ago. My wife was not keen on it, and it took a while until she tried it. And she was terrified. But she got over it, and we ride it a bit. Sometimes we do errands on it, as in this picture. My hope is that one day it will enable her to ride longer and farther, but that hasn't happened yet, and maybe it won't ever. She usually prefers to ride her single, and that's OK. She can't ride very long or far.

nice setup

hopefully she gets more into riding this Tandem with you
Likes For Rajflyboy:
Old 02-07-20, 10:13 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I once saw a Schwinn tandem parked, and noticed that it had one of those old Bendix 2-speed kickback coaster brake hubs on it. Now that would be a divorce machine!
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 02-08-20, 10:29 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked 2,469 Times in 1,445 Posts
My wife and I started riding a tandem in 1980. We have done charity rides, self contained touring in Mexico, rode the coast of California from Monterey to Santa Monica and have done tours with Santana tandem in the US and internationally. And we race our tandem in time trials and did one UCI mass start 55 km tandem race in Tahiti in 2018. We also race road and track in timed and team events.

Riding a tandem brings out the best and sometimes the worst in a team. Working as a team is totally rewarding. Success functioning as a team has been some of my best cycling experiences of which riding and racing a tandem is one of them. Some may argue that riding a tandem is a compromise. I would say that it is about having a goal and honing ones skills and learning new ones to achieve the goal.

This pic is from a 20K tandem time trial in 2018. I rig the tandem with clip on aero bars and my wife has speed bars which clipped onto the stoker stem to bring her arms together and lower her position.

Here is the same course and time trial race but we did it on TT bikes as a two person team.

At the start of the race in Tahiti 2018.

We pre rode the race course the day before the race and here is a pic from the road side just outside of Papeete.

Old 02-08-20, 12:36 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I haven't ridden a tandem in decades. When my niece was younger I used two cut apart bicycles and had a competent brazer braze the frames together into a tandem. My niece loved being able to go on long rides with me. She still talks about those rides and that bike.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 02-09-20, 01:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
I rode a tandem briefly with a co-worker and it did not go well. There was a couple from Europe traveling across the country on a crackandfail tandem (something modern) and they needed a place to store it since the house they were staying in couldn't take it so I said sure as long as we get to ride it. I do really want to get a tandem though and get more practice in as we were just screwing around with no real intention of going distance.
Old 02-09-20, 06:17 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Still wouldn't be standard English: "So How Many Have Never Tandem?"

I bought one once. I tried it with my wife, and she screamed at me the whole time saying that I was trying to kill her. By the end of the ride, that seemed like a reasonable option. We wound up giving it away to a mother and adult son with Down's syndrome, and apparently it really improved his (and her) quality of life, so I am happy with my investment.

But I don't think we will ever try to ride one together, again.
We call it a Divorce Horse.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 02-09-20, 06:30 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I’ve ridden one once, but the back seat was empty, so that probably does not count.

Never had much interest. My wife is actually more open to the idea than I am. I guess I do like the idea of being able to pedal as hard as I like and she can totally keep up.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 02-09-20, 07:25 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
I must say, it's hard to captain a tandem. I have to balance for both of us and manage our speed and cadence. I can't turn my eyes away very much. It's even hard to scratch my nose, because taking one hand off the bars is dicier than on a single. Because of the lower power-to-weight ratio, I have to shift gears often, and it's like shifting a tractor-trailer: we go from bottom gear to top gear and back again in a short time. I put a mirror on my spouse's handlebar and ask her to keep watch, but she has trouble remembering. I have a mirror on my glasses, but sometimes her head is in the way of my view. I ask her to do the signalling, and that works out well.

I think I'm going to paste a note on my back to remind her of the commands I'd like her to use. I can't hear her as well as I'd like, so the commands should be short, such as "shift up" rather than "we're pedaling too fast."

SLOW
SHIFT UP
SHIFT DOWN
STOP
SIGNAL LEFT
SIGNAL RIGHT
etc

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 02-09-20, 07:40 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Riding a tandem brings out the best and sometimes the worst in a team.
It's been said that whichever way your relationship is headed a tandem bicycle will get you there quicker.
Old 02-10-20, 12:24 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
We had a tandem....
for a while,
i am tall,
navigator (sometimes also referred to as stoker) is untall.
Navigator did not like the view,
side by side on single bikes is better for us.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.