Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling after total Knee replacement

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-20, 01:01 PM
Tipmart

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

If anyone else here has had a total Knee replacement, how soon did you start to cycle again after the operation?

I'm due for one later this year or early next year and wondering how long it will be before i can get back on the bike again

Thanks
Old 07-03-20, 01:44 PM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Tipmart
If anyone else here has had a total Knee replacement, how soon did you start to cycle again after the operation?

I'm due for one later this year or early next year and wondering how long it will be before i can get back on the bike again

Thanks
light range of motion on stationary bike should be undertaken around 6 weeks, build up muscle progressively over 6 months before undertaken long rides or the knee will swell from synovitis. Muscle strength should be 90% of the other side before going outdoor with cleats.

partial knee replacement as in unicompartimental knee replacement like the Oxford partial knee tend to hit the milestones earlier around 3 months and forgotten joint score tend to be better.
Old 07-03-20, 01:57 PM
colosteve

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had total knee replacement of my right knee in August 2018. My surgeon did not want me back on the bike for 6 weeks, more for the worry of a fall than issues with the knee.

​​​​​I have a recumbent trike so I rode that for a month or so starting at six weeks and could ride an upright bike no problem afterwards.

I believe I could have ridden at four weeks but followed surgeon's advice. I had a very good surgery and recovery, none of the pain that many have experienced and my new knee has been a life changing experience.

I hope yours goes as well. Be sure to start the presurgery exercises as far in advance as you can as they can be crucial in a good recovery.

​​​​
Old 07-03-20, 02:23 PM
Tipmart

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_max
light range of motion on stationary bike should be undertaken around 6 weeks, build up muscle progressively over 6 months before undertaken long rides or the knee will swell from synovitis. Muscle strength should be 90% of the other side before going outdoor with cleats.

partial knee replacement as in unicompartimental knee replacement like the Oxford partial knee tend to hit the milestones earlier around 3 months and forgotten joint score tend to be better.

Thanks
Old 07-03-20, 02:24 PM
Tipmart

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by colosteve
I had total knee replacement of my right knee in August 2018. My surgeon did not want me back on the bike for 6 weeks, more for the worry of a fall than issues with the knee.

​​​​​I have a recumbent trike so I rode that for a month or so starting at six weeks and could ride an upright bike no problem afterwards.

I believe I could have ridden at four weeks but followed surgeon's advice. I had a very good surgery and recovery, none of the pain that many have experienced and my new knee has been a life changing experience.

I hope yours goes as well. Be sure to start the presurgery exercises as far in advance as you can as they can be crucial in a good recovery.

​​​​

Thank you

That's good to know

I'm getting into shape now for it
Old 07-03-20, 04:10 PM
pvillemasher

Bikes: 1989 Trek 400, 2000 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2013 GT Attack, 2017 Lynskey R250

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I don't know how different hip replacement is, but my brother fell and broke his hip last August, had it replaced. He was riding within 2 weeks and we rode Vail Pass about 5 weeks after he broke it. He was 60 years old.
If I remember correctly his doc was all good with what he was doing.
Old 07-03-20, 06:26 PM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
I had a knee replacement in 2017 and was on a stationary the second week of PT. I started hiking short distances (3-4 miles) at month three I stayed off the bicycle longer than that because I was afraid of injury in case of a fall. I was skiing in six months. No problems. Knee feels great.