Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Recommendation Needed: Step Through or Mixte

Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Old 01-31-21, 06:01 PM
munkymack

Bikes: Ross Centaur - Pink & White | Surly Pacer - Gravel Conversion | The Black Prince - Vintage Hard Rock upright | Specialized Carbon Frankenroadie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts

The only time my wife ever gets mad and yells at me is if she has to ride up a hill. Sadly, we live three blocks up a (rideable, but still pain in the ass) hill. She currently rides a Public C7, and weight-wise, it's an absolute beast.

Looking for something with some style for her. I'm open to new (or fairly new) but am also down to build up a vintage project bike for her.
  • She's 5'10" (which I know limits all but the upper end of vintage mixtes)
  • She dislikes swinging her leg over a standard triangle - hence the step through / mixte
I've been looking at stuff like the Kona Coco or Marin Kentfield if I go new, but I'd love to hear other suggestions.
  • Something aluminum
  • Upright stance
  • Leaning towards 1x (she gets flustered easily when shifting, so if I can eliminate shifting on the chainring, that might be helpful)
  • Not interested in electric / pedal assist
What other brands should I be looking at? What saved searches should I be setting up on Craigslist / eBay?
Old 02-08-21, 03:51 PM
tpadul 

Bikes: 1984 Sekai 5000 Superbe, 1987 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2021 Handsome She Devil, Mystery Vintage purple road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 61 Posts
Check out Handsome Cycles. They are located in Minneapolis and I just ordered my step through 8 speed She Devil from them! I love my new bike can’t wait till the weather warms up so I can take it out for a ride.
https://handsomecycles.com/

Likes For tpadul:
Old 02-08-21, 04:47 PM
munkymack

Bikes: Ross Centaur - Pink & White | Surly Pacer - Gravel Conversion | The Black Prince - Vintage Hard Rock upright | Specialized Carbon Frankenroadie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
That looks ridiculously gorgeous...Definitely going to check them out. Thanks!
Likes For munkymack:
Old 02-08-21, 07:55 PM
tpadul 

Bikes: 1984 Sekai 5000 Superbe, 1987 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2021 Handsome She Devil, Mystery Vintage purple road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by munkymack
That looks ridiculously gorgeous...Definitely going to check them out. Thanks!
You are welcome!! This is my first brand new bike in 32 years ! I was very impressed with Handsome Cycles.