Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Car racks?

Old 06-13-21, 10:56 PM
GregP74

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Car racks?

(Sorry If I'm posting this in the wrong place. I didn't see anywhere that really struck me as the perfect spot.)

So I picked up my new Specialized Como Turbo 3 low step bile a couple weeks ago. I'm getting back into the swing of riding after 30 years of not touching a bike and I want to visit some of the bike paths we've got around here but the area right around me isn't particularly bike friendly. I'm going to need a rack of some sort to haul it around on my Mazda CX-5.

I'd been thinking about adding a trailer hitch anyway, so I don't mind doing that. The racks I've been looking at are:

1up Equip-D Single
Saris MTR-1
and the Inno INH110.

They all seem to be rated to carry my heavy bike and with their platforms and tire locks look like they'd handle my low step design alright. I'm looking for any recommendations though! Or other suggestions!
Old 06-14-21, 04:17 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I've tried just about every form of bike carrying approach over the years, in recent years have decided trailer hitch rack is the best overall for me.

I've been using a Kuat NV 2.0 for 3 years now, Done many long distance car trips with two bikes on that rack. It also worked well to carry 2 e-bikes when some visiting touring cyclists stayed with us and we brought their bikes to a shop for some repair.

The 1 Up 2 bike rack was my second choice - REI carried the Kuat and had 20% off end of year sale and that closed the deal for me. You'd be fine with the 1 Up , I'm sure.
Old 06-14-21, 06:36 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
If you can get a 1UP, that is the one that can certainly handle your bike. Another choice, though I have never used it, is the Thule EasyFold XT2. What is nice about this rack is the built in ramp to roll your bike on. Lifting the bike can be a bit of a pain. Plus it is built for e-bikes. Then of course the fold is helpful if you are taking the rack off and on your vehicle. Availability of this rack is going to be your biggest problem.

Make sure you get a 2" receiver to future proof how much load you can put on a rack plus your bike isn't a light weight.

Purchasing a platform rack with trailer hitch was the best decision I ever made for transporting a bike. Congratulations on your new ride and your foray back into the cycling world.
Old 06-14-21, 07:29 AM
GregP74

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks guys. I was planning on probably going with a 2" receiver. They're just a few bucks more and I'd rather just go ahead and do it now than need one in the future and wish I'd done it.

I'm heading over to the local bike shop later this morning. I know they deal in good stuff and probably won't seer me wrong. That 1up does look really nice. (Actually all three of those ones I was looking at appear to be.) It seems like the racks for single bike don't get as much attention as the dual (or more) ones. I'm kind of leaning towards the single ones not just because I'll be solo and only have one bike, but also they're a little more lightweight and easier to maneuver. It also appears at at least with some of them I'd be able to keep them in the upright position and still open and close the cargo hatch of the CX-5 so it wouldn't be too hard for the folks loading up t he car when I go to pick up groceries!
Old 06-14-21, 08:22 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
I had U-haul install a 1 1/4" class II hitch & it handles 4 bikes w/ no weight issues. I already had a 1 1/4" bike rack that I was using on another car, so that's why I went with that size. you might figure out what rack you want first before deciding on the hitch size? lots of adapters out there but I prefer not to use one if I can avoid it
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 06-14-21, 08:52 AM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Also have a Kuat NV 2.0 from REI purchased on sale. It does what I expect it to with no fuss.

There are probably better and/or cheaper racks I'd also find acceptable but I have no complaints about the Kuat rack.
Likes For guachi:
Old 06-14-21, 10:30 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3408 Post(s)
Liked 3,540 Times in 1,782 Posts
You may have great difficulty finding a rack in stock.

Many of the online sites are showing multi-month backlogs. High demand, pandemic supply chain interruptions.

Good luck!

Old 06-14-21, 10:42 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
I think the Kuat comes in both hitch sizes. An adapter adds more length and also, I believe, introduces more sway or wobble.
Old 06-14-21, 12:54 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Hitch racks are super easy to use. If my car could handle a hitch I'd definitely go that route.

I am stuck with roof racks - but with that said, I've had the same Yakima Q tower rack since the late 90's and it is bomb proof. I've replaced a few parts on it here and there and purchased newer bike and ski/snowboard mounts, but the basic bones of the rack have worked flawlessly on many different cars. I would not hesitate to buy another one in the future.
Old 06-14-21, 04:13 PM
kahn

Originally Posted by msu2001la
Hitch racks are super easy to use. If my car could handle a hitch I'd definitely go that route.

I am stuck with roof racks - but with that said, I've had the same Yakima Q tower rack since the late 90's and it is bomb proof. I've replaced a few parts on it here and there and purchased newer bike and ski/snowboard mounts, but the basic bones of the rack have worked flawlessly on many different cars. I would not hesitate to buy another one in the future.
My roof rack went out with the taller Subaru Outback (2014). Trying the ladder routine was just not safe!
Old 06-14-21, 08:57 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
All the racks you listed won't work if you use fenders. An e-bike sans fenders unless a mountain bike is kinda silly. I would look for the Thule EasyFold which mounts to the frame tubes rather than wheels . It is probably going to be out of stock but see if your shop can order one for you so you can get it since you will need to get a hitch installed.

U-haul can install them but they are cheap low quality hitches that look awful quickly. I would see if your local shop can install (unlikely but I work at a shop that does) or check with your favorite car mechanic and see if they can get you Curt or Stealth or another similar high quality hitch and install it.
Old 06-14-21, 09:11 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
You may have great difficulty finding a rack in stock.

Many of the online sites are showing multi-month backlogs. High demand, pandemic supply chain interruptions.

Good luck!
My local REI has an inventory of Kuat, Thule and Saris. The three brands also appear as in stock on their web site. I recently bought a Kuat Sherpa from them after a number of store visits so I saw their inventory. BTW..The Kuat Sherpa has been great, but would not work for the OP.

The OP should take a look at the Saris Superclamp if his/her bikes have fenders.
Likes For MAK:
Old 06-14-21, 09:19 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3408 Post(s)
Liked 3,540 Times in 1,782 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
My local REI has an inventory of Kuat, Thule and Saris. The three brands also appear as in stock on their web site.
Thats good to know, thanks.

The Kuat site has this on the home page:

Because of a spike in demand, we are back-ordered on most products. We are working hard to fill and ship orders. Thank you for your patience.
And the 1up site:

SHIPPING DELAY ALERT! Due to the cycling market explosion, join our waitlist for any rack units!
From joining to delivery, estimated timeframe is 6-8 weeks. Thank you for your understanding!

Last edited by terrymorse; 06-14-21 at 09:23 PM.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 06-15-21, 07:57 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Get the 1UP and either the Equip-D or the Super Duty. I have a Super Duty on order. I also use their regular Quick Rack. I have owned the Kuat NV 2 (nice) the Thule XT Pro (Meh) and the Yakima Holdup (avoid). The 1Up is the best.
Old 06-15-21, 08:03 AM
Jburrow

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GregP74
(Sorry If I'm posting this in the wrong place. I didn't see anywhere that really struck me as the perfect spot.)

So I picked up my new Specialized Como Turbo 3 low step bile a couple weeks ago. I'm getting back into the swing of riding after 30 years of not touching a bike and I want to visit some of the bike paths we've got around here but the area right around me isn't particularly bike friendly. I'm going to need a rack of some sort to haul it around on my Mazda CX-5.

I'd been thinking about adding a trailer hitch anyway, so I don't mind doing that. The racks I've been looking at are:

1up Equip-D Single
Saris MTR-1
and the Inno INH110.

They all seem to be rated to carry my heavy bike and with their platforms and tire locks look like they'd handle my low step design alright. I'm looking for any recommendations though! Or other suggestions!
My wife and I got an excellent deal on the Küat Transfer rack at our LBS. They built and installed it for us. We have been extremely pleased with it after traveling with it for over a year. Easy to take off and on when needed. https://www.kuat.com/product/transfer-v2/
Old 06-17-21, 06:57 AM
GregP74

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jburrow
My wife and I got an excellent deal on the Küat Transfer rack at our LBS. They built and installed it for us. We have been extremely pleased with it after traveling with it for over a year. Easy to take off and on when needed.
My local shop has one of those left and a Rocky Mounts Monorail Solo.

A place up the road has the Saris MTR-1.

I tried out the Inno INH110. Not impressed at all. The pin that holds it to the hitch didn't want to work.
Old 06-17-21, 07:09 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I eventually want to get a RV again so I ordered (got in line) for a 1UPUSA Super Duty rack. Most cannot be used on RVs and camper trailers. I already have their regular Quik Rack and it looks and works like new after 7 years.
Old 06-17-21, 07:20 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
My local shop has one of those left and a Rocky Mounts Monorail Solo.

A place up the road has the Saris MTR-1.

I tried out the Inno INH110. Not impressed at all. The pin that holds it to the hitch didn't want to work.
I have a Rocky Mounts SplitRail and like it very much.
Old 06-17-21, 12:17 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
If you can get a 1UP, that is the one that can certainly handle your bike. Another choice, though I have never used it, is the Thule EasyFold XT2. What is nice about this rack is the built in ramp to roll your bike on. Lifting the bike can be a bit of a pain. Plus it is built for e-bikes. Then of course the fold is helpful if you are taking the rack off and on your vehicle. Availability of this rack is going to be your biggest problem.

Make sure you get a 2" receiver to future proof how much load you can put on a rack plus your bike isn't a light weight.

Purchasing a platform rack with trailer hitch was the best decision I ever made for transporting a bike. Congratulations on your new ride and your foray back into the cycling world.
I do not personally use a rack, but carry the bikes inside the vehicle. All our riding companions, except 1, use the platform (or tray?) racks. Watching them pack out has me considering a platform rack for short hops to a major trail, rather than a hanging (or as the tray users call danglers) rack simply as it is much less fussing to ensure the bikes stay put and limit wheel spin. One has a platform rack that can fold back, even with the bikes mounted to access the rear hatch. IT has a small folding leg that supports it when folded back.

Make sure you get a hitch lock so the rack does not 'disappear' while you are riding.
Old 06-17-21, 07:13 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,003 Posts
I had a Yakima HoldUp for about 10 years, but found myself only hauling 1 bike for the most part, so I sold my Yakima and got a 1 up so if I only need the 1 rack, that what I have, if I need 2 spots, I put the second piece on in about 1 mins....its a sweet deal.

Old 06-17-21, 08:48 PM
GregP74

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well I finally made it to the other shop today. They had an open box Kuat Transfer v2 (Single bike model) and the Saris MTR1.

The Saris is made not too far from here and looks pretty solid so I went with that. I know some people complain that you need a tool to adjust for different tire sizes but I've just got the one bike so I'm not too concerned about that. Looks like it'll be solid.

Now I just have to put it on. I got home and took off the 2" adapter but it didn't want to slide into my hitch. It was getting dark out so I decided it could wait til tomorrow. No need to mess anything up. I'm guessing I just didn't have it level or something. I can't think of any reason it wouldn't go in there.
Old 06-17-21, 09:22 PM
kahn

Well I finally made it to the other shop today. They had an open box Kuat Transfer v2 (Single bike model) and the Saris MTR1.

The Saris is made not too far from here and looks pretty solid so I went with that. I know some people complain that you need a tool to adjust for different tire sizes but I've just got the one bike so I'm not too concerned about that. Looks like it'll be solid.

Now I just have to put it on. I got home and took off the 2" adapter but it didn't want to slide into my hitch. It was getting dark out so I decided it could wait til tomorrow. No need to mess anything up. I'm guessing I just didn't have it level or something. I can't think of any reason it wouldn't go in there.
Gunk or road grit although you had an adapter which probably limited any buildup inside. One trick I saw on youtube today was to slightly tilt it so that the bottom of the insert rests of the bottom of the hitch to get things initially aligned. Then slide it in level.
Old 06-17-21, 09:27 PM
GregP74

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kahn
Gunk or road grit although you had an adapter which probably limited any buildup inside. One trick I saw on youtube today was to slightly tilt it so that the bottom of the insert rests of the bottom of the hitch to get things initially aligned. Then slide it in level.
I've got a 1.25" hitch, had to take the 2" adapter off the Saris rack to fit it in there. (Or attempt to.) I'm going to feel around in there tomorrow to make sure there's not some kind of obstruction. It feels tight when I start to push it in and it'll only go a little ways. Hopefully nothing's wrong. I'll have to feel around tomorrow and make sure there's not some kind of obstruction in there. For all I know there's too much of the powder coat stuff on the thing that slides in and that's making it too tight. Like I said hopefully this isn't going to turn into some big fiasco lol
Old 06-18-21, 08:36 AM
kahn

I've got a 1.25" hitch, had to take the 2" adapter off the Saris rack to fit it in there. (Or attempt to.) I'm going to feel around in there tomorrow to make sure there's not some kind of obstruction. It feels tight when I start to push it in and it'll only go a little ways. Hopefully nothing's wrong. I'll have to feel around tomorrow and make sure there's not some kind of obstruction in there. For all I know there's too much of the powder coat stuff on the thing that slides in and that's making it too tight. Like I said hopefully this isn't going to turn into some big fiasco lol
I just put my Kuat on my Crosstrek for the first time yesterday. Hitch had never been used on this relatively new car. It took a bit of futzing to get the rack inserted. I had to unweight the heavy rack to get it to slide and then had trouble matching the holes. It really resisted easy or even middling sliding back and forth. Good luck.
Likes For kahn:
Old 06-18-21, 10:05 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
I bought a Kuat Sherpa last month. This hitch rack is so easy to use and works so well that I wonder why it took me so long to buy it. I used to use a Yakima on which the bikes hung by the top tube. When I carried two bikes they would get tangled up with one another at the handlebars and the pedals. It was a real pain to use. The Kuat is simple and works well.
Likes For jackb:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.