Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I'm 67. I need motivation. Help.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I'm 67. I need motivation. Help.

Old 08-09-21, 12:50 PM
birdmove

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
I am just 68 yrs and hey already I can't climb any more, or run, or skate, or cave, or grapple, or ski, or white water... Man I can't even sleep flat in a regular bed...

I don't want to spend the money to learn golf and sky diving would be nice if I could do it again with the Army...

Shooting is great but I can't even find caps for my black powder much less afford to knock off rounds for fun...

But I can still bicycle... I am so glad that has not been taken away form me...

Yet...

As for shooting, ammunition is currently made of unobtainium. Time for you to get yourself an airgun or two. Pellets can still be found, and are way less than .22LR ammo. Pellets can be ordered online also. Forget BB's. They'll fly all over the place. Lead pellets. I like multi-pump rifles the best. Break barrels, whether spring Piston or gas piston powered can be hard to shoot well.
Likes For birdmove:
Old 08-09-21, 02:11 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4925 Post(s)
Liked 8,033 Times in 3,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Shp4man
Christ, I guess it's not so bad here. I can still ride, even feel a little gaining of fitness. I'm not fast by any means, but don't run out of gas after a small climb like before. This after about three 15 mile weekend rides, with no real push to go fast or "train" or whatever.
Keep it up!! IMO, the best thing you can do is work on establishing a new routine. Every week, plan days on a regular schedule every week that include a ride, and make that ride a pretty high priority for yourself. Also, ride in ways that are fun for however it is you like to ride - solo, group, easy, fast, road, dirt...there's no right answer. What's right is whatever gets you excited to be on your bike. Maybe it's some of everything.

Almost 2 years ago, I got back on my bike after being away from it for 15 years. I made a commitment to riding regularly. My fitness improved, as I rode 40 lbs off my fat @$$. I got back to doing the fast group road rides I used to do when I was a racer-boy. It felt good to be strong on the bike again! In the last couple of months, I've started mixing in some MTB riding, as well, just to keep things fresh and exciting. This works for me. Find what works for you.

Last edited by Eric F; 08-09-21 at 11:10 PM.
Likes For Eric F: