Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Reason for extraneous nut on my rear rack mounting screw?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-21, 12:56 PM
RobbiRobbi
Steel City, Steel Bike

Bikes: 2012 Jamis Coda Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts

I had one of the mounting screws at the bottom of my rear rack somehow work its way loose yesterday, and I’m going to the hardware store later to get a replacement screw and washer. When I looked closely at the mounting on the other side, I saw that I addition to the washer, the bike shop person who installed it years ago added a knurled nut that appears to be a valve stem nut. I don't know whether or not the same thing was on the other side.

Note that it’s not acting as a spacer between the rack and the frame. It’s sitting on the outside of the rack serving no purpose I can tell except making the mounting screw not reach all the way through the frame eyelet. I thought possibly there was paint or something on the eyelet threads preventing it from screwing all the way in, and they did this instead of properly clearing the hole. But when I tried putting the screw back without the spacer it only took a slight amount more force to screw it in the rest of the way (and extrude a few years of grime out of the hole.)

So, any legitimate reason for the spacer? Can I just leave it off, or is this Chesterton’s valve nut?
Old 08-03-21, 01:03 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
This side... other side.... can't understand which side you are refferring too. Drive side or Non-drive side would be good to know.
Maybe it's acting as a spacer so the bolt (screw) doesn't go through and hit the chain.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 08-03-21, 01:10 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbiRobbi
I had one of the mounting screws at the bottom of my rear rack somehow work its way loose yesterday, and I’m going to the hardware store later to get a replacement screw and washer. When I looked closely at the mounting on the other side, I saw that I addition to the washer, the bike shop person who installed it years ago added a knurled nut that appears to be a valve stem nut. I don't know whether or not the same thing was on the other side.

Note that it’s not acting as a spacer between the rack and the frame. It’s sitting on the outside of the rack serving no purpose I can tell except making the mounting screw not reach all the way through the frame eyelet. I thought possibly there was paint or something on the eyelet threads preventing it from screwing all the way in, and they did this instead of properly clearing the hole. But when I tried putting the screw back without the spacer it only took a slight amount more force to screw it in the rest of the way (and extrude a few years of grime out of the hole.)

So, any legitimate reason for the spacer? Can I just leave it off, or is this Chesterton’s valve nut?
There's no earthly reason for that knurled nut to be there. All I can think of is trailangel's suggestion that it's acting as a spacer to prevent the screw from protruding too far toward the drivetrain. Remove the nut, tighten up the screw. If it doesn't protrude too much, ditch the nut (and save a gram in the process )
Likes For Litespud:
Old 08-03-21, 01:12 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbiRobbi
...serving no purpose I can tell except making the mounting screw not reach all the way through the frame eyelet...
You got it. Either select a bolt that has the proper depth reach, or offset the bolt head (outward) to prevent the bolt from overhanding within the frame. It's cleaner that way.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 08-03-21, 01:17 PM
RobbiRobbi
Steel City, Steel Bike

Bikes: 2012 Jamis Coda Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
This side... other side.... can't understand which side you are refferring too. Drive side or Non-drive side would be good to know.
Maybe it's acting as a spacer so the bolt (screw) doesn't go through and hit the chain.
Sorry, the one in the picture is drive side. And yeah, that would make sense if the bolt were longer, but it actually doesn't protrude at all without the spacer. It's just about flush without it, so I'm going to leave it like that.

[Edit: And thanks to everyone for responding!]

Last edited by RobbiRobbi; 08-03-21 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-03-21, 01:32 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
That's exactly what it is. A presta valve nut to keep a longer bolt from interfering with the drive train. Probably faster and easier than finding a shorter bolt.
Old 08-03-21, 02:07 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Or.....the presta nut was put there to keep the bolt from hitting the chain while the rack was not being used. I've done this so I don't have to keep two different length bolts on hand for rack or no rack setup. The bolt keeps the threads in the eyelet from getting gunked up when not in use and you don't have to hunt for the bolt when you want to install the rack. OP, just remove the presta nut with the rack in place and the bolt should be the right length.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 08-03-21 at 02:47 PM.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 08-03-21, 02:45 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Looks like a knurled nut from a presta valve stem. I agree with @trailangel; it's probably because the bolt is too long and without the spacer, it would extend through the eyelet and interfere with the chain.
Old 08-03-21, 02:47 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
use a stud & nut. That will enable the hardware to be left in place with or without the rack.