Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1968 Old Chicago Schwinn

Old 09-10-21, 10:54 PM
juliannetet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1968 Old Chicago Schwinn

I've got an older schwinn, looked up the serial number and it's a 1968 old chicago according to the website I looked at (couldn't tell if it was reliable). I don't really know how much it's worth, it's in decent shape for being over fifty years old, but not mint condition by any means. My grandpa had it before he passed and used it often from what I can understand. Anyone have any idea what kind of price range I could be looking at here? It won't let me upload pictures but the serial number was CD48633 if that helps. Thanks!
Old 09-11-21, 05:29 AM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 618 Times in 311 Posts
Schwinn made a wide array of bikes that today have a wide range of value. The model name and size are key bits of information, and condition and location matter, too. You can post photos in your gallery. Go to your profile -> albums -> add album) and then post here saying you've done so and someone will then share those photos on this thread. Post photos taken in good light, with at least one taken from the drive side of the bike. Without more information your question cannot be realistically answered.
Old 09-11-21, 06:23 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
Could be $5, could be $500 (doubtful). Schwinn made a lot of low end, heavy bikes. They were nearly indestructible so millions of survivors remain. Sadly, the Schwinn product line was dominated by low end stuff for decades, which opened the door for competitors like Trek in the mid 1970s to just focus on the better stuff. By the mid 1980s, Schwinn caught on but by then they had given up a massive lead they enjoyed in the market. Its really a sad story.
Old 09-11-21, 11:04 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
The book

No Hands

excellent read on the history of Schwinn

out of print
crazy prices on Amazon last i looked
local library?