Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Changing out Shimano HG700-11

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Changing out Shimano HG700-11

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-21, 09:29 AM
jjay03

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aliasfox
If you never find yourself "between gears" and wanting a 16T or 14T, then you should be fine.

Cross chaining only really matters at the outer-most combos, so if you're not running 50x30 or 34x11 today, then you'll be fine. Otherwise, a slight difference in chain angles isn't going to make a difference with regards to real-world, non-race performance.
Thanks for the info. There are definitely times a 16 or 18t sprocket would help. Sometimes I will find my self shifting back and forth a lot because 1 gear is slightly too fast or too slow of a cadence.
Old 09-18-21, 09:32 AM
jjay03

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Looking at the gear sizes I bet a 14-28t cassette would work really well with a 52/36t or 53/39t front sprocket for my rides. Or just use the SRAM like someone else listed.
12-25t also looks interesting.

Last edited by jjay03; 09-18-21 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-18-21, 10:11 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
It's not only the gears you use the most. It's also the gears you need to get up any hill you normally encounter. If you are muscling your way up a hill at a low cadence every ride you do, then you might need some lower gearing.

Sure you might build muscles and over come that difficult gear, but you might also risk future knee problems as you age.
Old 09-18-21, 10:37 AM
jjay03

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
It's not only the gears you use the most. It's also the gears you need to get up any hill you normally encounter. If you are muscling your way up a hill at a low cadence every ride you do, then you might need some lower gearing.

Sure you might build muscles and over come that difficult gear, but you might also risk future knee problems as you age.
Like I mentioned in the OP I ride rail trails that are basically flat with some very slight inclines or declines. 12-25 should be plenty for these trails especially with 2 sprockets up front.
Old 09-18-21, 02:11 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,017 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01

That is why I am going to buy myself a 14-28 when it goes on sale and save it as a mid-life crisis present to myself in a few year!
Old 09-18-21, 02:14 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,017 Posts
Originally Posted by jjay03
Sometimes I will find my self shifting back and forth a lot because 1 gear is slightly too fast or too slow of a cadence.
This is the exact phenomenon that led me to question the stock 11-32 cassette, learn about cadence, and upgrade cassettes almost a year ago.
Old 09-22-21, 03:53 PM
Gonzo Bob
cycles per second

Bikes: Early 1980's Ishiwata 022 steel sport/touring, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 DiamondBack Apex, 1997 Softride PowerWing 700, 2001 Trek OCLV 110

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
Hard to say. I recommend finding the biggest hill you ride, and include it near the end of one of your longer rides (if possible). Don't sandbag the ride up to the hill - ride your normal pace. Fill your water bottles or hydration pack (or both )just before the hill (if possible). See what gear you need to get up it comfortably. Then choose a cassette that has a cog or two larger than that (for those days when you ride longer, or harder, or it's windy).

Changing to a smaller cassette should not require any changes to the rear derailer or to chain length.

Last edited by Gonzo Bob; 09-22-21 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-28-21, 08:45 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 1,010 Posts
Originally Posted by jjay03
I have a new Domane SL5 with the 11-34t rear cassette and 50/34 compact crank. I ride mostly on flat bike trails and dont ever really use the largest sprocket on the rear cassette. What gearing would you recommend? I was thinking about going to an ultegra 11-30t rear cassette.

If I swapped out the rear cassette HG700-11 to a CS-r8000 11-30t would I need to change anything else? Still use the same rear derailleur? I was also thinking about going to an ultegra chain at this time.

What tools should I buy to remove/install the rear cassette?

Thanks
Morning, When I got my Domane late last year, I quickly discovered the 11-34 was going to be wasted on me since the highest elevation around here is 110 ft and that is a bridge. Generally the 28 tooth is more than enough for anything and everything I would ever need. I moved to the 14-28 cassette because we have lots of wind so I like having single tooth adjustments to deal with that. I don't race either. I took out 2 link which will allow me to use an 11-30 if I venture north and ride some hills. While this might not be a common occurrence outside the Jr racing area, it's works perfect for me.

I also love the 16 tooth and basically live in the 15, 16, 17 tooth on a 50 tooth chain ring