Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Xenia, OH - tent platforms? Where?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 09-19-21, 09:29 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts

I am scanning sat maps trying to find where the tent platforms are around Xenia. It seems to me when I passed through there some park had a row of them - I don't remember if they were wood or concrete platforms.

There is a camp in London along the Ohio to Erie that has several that are wood framed dirt boxes that are nice, but that's a totally different area. I was thinking for sure there were some in Xenia but I don't see any all around Xenia Station - and when I zoom in to the street level it doesn't ring a bell as to what the area looked like that the platforms were in?

Maybe it wasn't Xenia I saw them...

Does anyone know where they might be? I suppose if not Xenia it would have been that southern segment of the Ohio to Erie not too far away - Prairie Grass or Little Miami trails (the local names of the OTET there).
Old 09-19-21, 10:18 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 261 Posts
I prefer to stay out of tent platforms. If the people before you were sloppy with there food and trash habits animals will likely be a problem.
Old 09-19-21, 11:15 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
I think they are in London.
Old 09-19-21, 11:40 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Originally Posted by KPREN
I think they are in London.
See original post.

Originally Posted by KC8QVO
There is a camp in London along the Ohio to Erie that has several that are wood framed dirt boxes that are nice, but that's a totally different area.
I've stayed there several times, that's not the same area. It seems to me where I saw them was a park that was cycling-specific - like they had a repair station, shelter, etc. along with a few tent pads.

I went back through trip pictures thinking maybe I had a picture of the place, but I don't see any from the segments of trips that passed through there.
Old 09-19-21, 12:07 PM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
I have not yet been on the other trails in that area around Xenia. Let me know if you find them I am only aware of the one's in London.
Old 09-19-21, 01:30 PM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 336 Posts
I don't remember seeing anything like that on the way through a few weeks ago. That being said, I was homicidal when I got INTO Xenia (mechanicals) and half asleep leaving Xenia the next morning.

No apparent mention of it here either: https://ohiotoerietrail.org/assets/u...s-06_30_21.pdf
Likes For a_d_a_m:
Old 09-19-21, 02:09 PM
KC8QVO

a_d_a_m Thanks.

At the very least, next time I'm through there I can keep my eyes open. It could be what I interpreted as tent pads might not be tent pads, either.

A few years ago when I went down through there I took a mental note of a nice trail-side shelter and did a day trip down that way with my girlfriend with the intent of picnicking at the shelter. Come to find out I was a whole town off - we never did make it there so we hit another spot. When I did my OTET trip last Fall I stopped at the nice shelter for lunch, though (and to get some sun to charge batteries). Now I know where that is - about 1mi W of Florence (Neil Rd crossing). That isn't a "camp spot" though, nor is it close to Xenia like I am imagining.
Old 09-19-21, 02:19 PM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
When I did my OTET trip last Fall I stopped at the nice shelter for lunch, though (and to get some sun to charge batteries). Now I know where that is - about 1mi W of Florence (Neil Rd crossing). That isn't a "camp spot" though, nor is it close to Xenia like I am imagining.
Oh yeah, I remember those little picnicky type shelters. On a sunny day (which I didn't have) I imagine they are fairly necessary as there's no real cover in that stretch.

Bet you could stealth camp in one.
Old 10-06-21, 07:12 AM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
Possibly one of the Greene County parks listed here: https://gcparkstrails.com/wp-content...ing-080421.pdf

Looks like Old Town Reserve in particular is close enough to the trail that you might have seen it passing by. I don't know if they have actual tent platforms, though.