Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Robur 1956

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-21, 01:59 PM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 101 Posts
Robur 1956

Hello , here my final restoration. This bike is branded "Robur" (cicli robur were founded by the owner's son of torpado).
In this particularly restoration i chosed to keep more original as possible , saving more parts as possible and even keep the frame with a naked feeling.

All parts were dismounted , the rusty layer has been removed and then lubed and mounted again. Now everything works fine. (even the chain that were rigid as a piece of wood now is articulated).
The frame has been cleared with a metal brush , after the big chunk of rust are gone i used a polishing tool with a non-aggressive disk to remove as much patina as possible and then i coeated with "ferrox" a rust converted i found in a store for around 6$.

Reading here and there seems that product is the more recomended for manteining a bike original , since the original paint is not there anymore and painting again even with a matching color results into a lose of his originality.
The saddle was cured with vaselline oil and gained a bit of flexibility , but the color became much better (more dark brownish). The handlebar tape i used is a just a normal fabric strip (measured 200 x 1,5 cm / 78x 0.59 inch) wplus a twisted rope at the end near the stem.
For the cable housing i chosed to use a modern housing with the plastic removed to match the look of the original (the original were a lot similar to the vespa's cable housing but not matching totally). I decided to make the housing in this way because 20$ only for the housing seems a bit too much for me.
The bike has a serial number (damn i forgot to take noted) but into the bb axle there is a number "56" , reading online seems to be the exact date of the bike, i don't think is the measure because it is very small.

Before starting working on the bike i was thinking that the year were near 1940 since the levers are pretty uniques (probably they are not matching too) , Even the components describe a bike not more into the '40 than the '50.
The saddle , the brake levers , the groupset and the single chainring (even the quick release) are confirm of that but i can't argue with the '56' , maybe the bike was assembled in this way or the owner (or maybe the seller) decided to swap a few parts , but for me the correct year is from 56.
Tyres are just a cheap vittoria tubular i took on decathlon , not matching the rest of the bike but i like anyways for the tan line.
Wheels are also cleared and restored (with the help of a professional) they came up pretty straight eccept for a little flat spot on the front but when you are using the bike you will not notice at all (maybe someday i'll find a rim in a better shape) .
The bag is not matching , i found into at came out from a bike-lot , i decied to put in the frame and since then i left on the bike just because is soo unique and seems almost matching.

Feel free to judge , wich part do you like and wich not. What i should replace or modify , every comment is very appreciated.

Here the video presentation of the bike

Here the full playlist of the restoring almost step-by-step.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...vldyt-mqxgGtqX

BUT the bike is not done , i'am working to make a functionally replica of a few parts (bottlecage , pump and pedal cages with the same style of those already equipped in similar bikes). This is an example LINK

PS: i'm not selling the bike , but if there is any expert will be nice to know the value in this state. @Moderators , don't move the tread into the "Appraisals" section. This tread is oriented to present the bike , the value itself is just a curiosity a part.
Likes For CrowSeph:
Old 09-23-21, 02:24 PM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
What an interesting bike. Have not watched the other videos yet but what a great location to show off such a cool bike.
Likes For markk900:
Old 09-23-21, 05:19 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,802 Times in 1,408 Posts
Neat bike. I'd agree with 1956, or there abouts. The 56 on the BB spindle is a date stamp.

I think it is interesting that a bike out of Padova is using components from Torino instead of Milano. 40s/50s Italy was very localized. In addition to the Ambrosio stem/bars and looks like rims, the pedals are from a company called Ucco out of Torino. I had a pair once, see pic below. Also, if you look long enough, you may find a Robur saddle, I had one on those too.

Ucco Torino Pedals 1 by iabisdb, on Flickr

1948 Frejus 042 by iabisdb, on Flickr

1948 Frejus 045 by iabisdb, on Flickr
Likes For iab:
Old 09-24-21, 03:26 AM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by markk900
What an interesting bike. Have not watched the other videos yet but what a great location to show off such a cool bike.
I decided to record in that location because that's were the bike came from.

Originally Posted by iab
Neat bike. I'd agree with 1956, or there abouts. The 56 on the BB spindle is a date stamp.

I think it is interesting that a bike out of Padova is using components from Torino instead of Milano. 40s/50s Italy was very localized. In addition to the Ambrosio stem/bars and looks like rims, the pedals are from a company called Ucco out of Torino. I had a pair once, see pic below. Also, if you look long enough, you may find a Robur saddle, I had one on those too.

Ucco Torino Pedals 1 by iabisdb, on Flickr

1948 Frejus 042 by iabisdb, on Flickr

1948 Frejus 045 by iabisdb, on Flickr
Very interesting infos , i never heard of those pedal brand before.