Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What are the standard speeds?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What are the standard speeds?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-22, 10:03 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,275 Times in 705 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
One is a "Lexa" (fancied up WSD) and the other is just a plain Jane WSD.
Walters-Storyk Design???
Old 12-09-22, 08:10 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1940 Post(s)
Liked 1,464 Times in 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
With respect to Trek, WSD is Women Specific Design.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 12-09-22, 04:49 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
The wheel only needs to match the frame. On a road bike wheel, a 10-speed freehub will accept a 10 speed, a 9 speed, or an 8 speed cassette, while an 11-speed freehub will also accept a 10 speed, a 9 speed, or an 8 speed cassette with a 1.85 mm spacer. So pretty much any contemporary wheel you can get will work with the cassette you need. As everyone else above pointed out, the more pertinent issue is that you need to match the shifter, the derailleur, and the cassette; all three components must have the same number of speeds...................
You were doing great until here. It doesn't matter if the rear derailleur is an 8, 9 or 10 speed as the derailleur only does what the shifter tells it to. Yes, the number of speeds of the shifter and cassette have to match, but as far as the derailleur, the only requirement is..........

...........the shifter and the derailleur must have the same pull ratio.
Which on Shimano 8, 9 and 10 speed road groups are the same. 11-speed is different.

The number of clicks on the shifter should be one less than the number of speeds.

Then the cassette determines what chain you need..............
Correct.

.........which in turn determines which chain ring(s) you can use.
No. The chain rings do not care how many rear speeds you have. The only thing the number of chain rings has to match is the number of speeds of the FRONT shifter.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-09-22, 05:04 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Not at all my intention. In fact, just the opposite. I want to make sure I only buy the part(s) that will work with what I have now. I have no intention of "reinventing the wheel" so to speak. If what I have works with an 8-speed cassette, then that's what I'm going to shop. No sense finding a 9-speed cassette/wheel, and then having to change the derailleur and shifter to fit.
If you have a 9 speed shifter, you will need a 9-speed cassette.

However, your existing wheel is fine with either an 8 or 9 speed cassette as the freehub is designed to work with 8, 9 and 10 speed cassettes.

Also, you do not need to change your rear derailleur if you change your cassette. Keep in mind that the total width of an 8 and 9 speed cassette is the same which is why the spacing between individual gears is different. But your derailleur doesn't care about spacing between individual gears, your shifter determines that. The derailleur is only "along for the ride" so to say.

It sounds like a 9-speed cassette is the only part you may need. NOTHING ELSE.
Old 12-09-22, 08:35 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Lombard I now get what you meant about the RD itself does not matter as long as the number of speeds matches between the shifter and the cassette.

But I think you misunderstood me when I said the chain determines which chain rings can be used. For example, I run 10 speed Shimano chain rings on an otherwise 11 speed Shimano drivetrain.
Old 12-09-22, 08:46 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by Lombard
It sounds like a 9-speed cassette is the only part you may need. NOTHING ELSE.
I don't think so. VegasJen said (in post #1) that "[t]he cassette on it now is a 9 -speed, but I think it came with an 8-speed originally (not sure)." She then described shifting issues, which may be due to using an 8-speed shifter (corresponding to the original 8-speed cassette) with the current 9-speed cassette. She needs to first determine whether her shifter is 8-speed or 9-speed. If it does turn out to be an 8-speed shifter, then she needs to buy either (i) an 8-speed cassette to go with that, or (ii) a 9-speed shifter to go with the current 9 speed cassette. Either way she does not need another 9-speed cassette.
Old 12-09-22, 09:21 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6950 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
You were doing great until here. It doesn't matter if the rear derailleur is an 8, 9 or 10 speed as the derailleur only does what the shifter tells it to. Yes, the number of speeds of the shifter and cassette have to match, but as far as the derailleur, the only requirement is..........
Yup, Unless it's electronic, a rear derailleur is a pretty 'dumb' device. For example, I'm running a D/A ten speed RD on my older nine speed bike, and it works beautifully.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-10-22, 01:25 AM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
I don't think so. VegasJen said (in post #1) that "[t]he cassette on it now is a 9 -speed, but I think it came with an 8-speed originally (not sure)." She then described shifting issues, which may be due to using an 8-speed shifter (corresponding to the original 8-speed cassette) with the current 9-speed cassette. She needs to first determine whether her shifter is 8-speed or 9-speed. If it does turn out to be an 8-speed shifter, then she needs to buy either (i) an 8-speed cassette to go with that, or (ii) a 9-speed shifter to go with the current 9 speed cassette. Either way she does not need another 9-speed cassette.
Thanks. I just received a replacement for the broken wheel. It has an eight speed cassette, which I am 95% certain was the original configuration. I will mount the wheel tomorrow and see how it goes. I will report my results.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 12-10-22, 07:50 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Oooops! Massive brain fart on my part!! You are correct here!!!

But I think you misunderstood me when I said the chain determines which chain rings can be used. For example, I run 10 speed Shimano chain rings on an otherwise 11 speed Shimano drivetrain.
I still don't understand why you say "the chain determines which chain rings can be used". This implies you are saying the number of speeds rating of the chain ring must match the chain. Am I missing something?

Originally Posted by Koyote
Yup, Unless it's electronic, a rear derailleur is a pretty 'dumb' device. For example, I'm running a D/A ten speed RD on my older nine speed bike, and it works beautifully.
Precisely!
Old 12-10-22, 08:27 AM
Koyote

Thanks. I just received a replacement for the broken wheel. It has an eight speed cassette, which I am 95% certain was the original configuration. I will mount the wheel tomorrow and see how it goes. I will report my results.
Several people in this thread explained how you can determine which cassette to use… And you still haven’t checked it?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-10-22, 10:16 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
You could have just counted the cogs on the old wheel and/or counted the clicks in the shifter and saved everyone a bunch of time and you'd know for sure...but no. Why not?
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 12-10-22, 11:24 AM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
You could have just counted the cogs on the old wheel and/or counted the clicks in the shifter and saved everyone a bunch of time and you'd know for sure...but no. Why not?
Probably because the wheel that was on the bike when I bought it wasn't original?
Old 12-10-22, 11:28 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

I still don't understand why you say "the chain determines which chain rings can be used". This implies you are saying the number of speeds rating of the chain ring must match the chain. Am I missing something?
All I am saying is that (A) the cassette determines which chain to use, and (B) in turn, the chain determines which chain rings can be used. (A) generally has a 1:1 correlation, i.e., an 8-speed cassette requires an 8-speed chain, a 9-speed cassette requires a 9-speed chain, etc. Whereas, (B) may be broader. For example, I use 10-speed chain rings on an otherwise 11-speed drivetrain.

Technical FAQ: 10- and 11-speed drivetrain component compatibility - VeloNews.com
Old 12-10-22, 11:33 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Probably because the wheel that was on the bike when I bought it wasn't original?
The only logical conclusion here is that the OP (a) cannot, (b) does not want to, or (c) does not even know it is possible to remove the cassette from the wheel.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 12-10-22, 11:36 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10413 Post(s)
Liked 11,874 Times in 6,081 Posts
Perhaps referring to possible problems running things like 8 speed rings with 10 speed. When I updated my Ritchey from 8 speeds to 10 by swapping the 7400 series RD and STIs for 7800 and adding a 10 speed chain, I initially kept the 8 speed chainrings, and it MOSTLY worked fine. But twice, my chain fell into No Man's Land between the rings. It didn't jam there, it just sat uselessly in the gap as I spun the cranks. I got the 9 speed small ring, which reduces the space between the rings and no problem. I suspect, but I'm not certain, that a difference of one speed between the generation of the rings and the drivetrain (and thus the chain) isn't a problem, but the greater the difference the more likely it is to occasionally fail.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-10-22, 11:49 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by genejockey
Perhaps referring to possible problems running things like 8 speed rings with 10 speed. When I updated my Ritchey from 8 speeds to 10 by swapping the 7400 series RD and STIs for 7800 and adding a 10 speed chain, I initially kept the 8 speed chainrings, and it MOSTLY worked fine. But twice, my chain fell into No Man's Land between the rings. It didn't jam there, it just sat uselessly in the gap as I spun the cranks. I got the 9 speed small ring, which reduces the space between the rings and no problem. I suspect, but I'm not certain, that a difference of one speed between the generation of the rings and the drivetrain (and thus the chain) isn't a problem, but the greater the difference the more likely it is to occasionally fail.
Yes, from what I can gather, these issues arise because (a) chain width decreases as the number of "speeds" increase, such that (b) chain ring width must also decrease correspondingly. To maintain good front shifting, the spacing between the chain rings is also decreased, except for the respective specifications between 10-speed and 11-speed road drivetrains. Thus, 10-speed rings can be used on an otherwise 11-speed drivetrain without issues.
Old 12-10-22, 11:58 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10413 Post(s)
Liked 11,874 Times in 6,081 Posts
Yes, from what I can gather, these issues arise because (a) chain width decreases as the number of "speeds" increase, such that (b) chain ring width must also decrease correspondingly. To maintain good front shifting, the spacing between the chain rings is also decreased, except for the respective specifications between 10-speed and 11-speed road drivetrains. Thus, 10-speed rings can be used on an otherwise 11-speed drivetrain without issues.
I don't think the thickness is the issue as much as the spacing. The 8 speed big ring on the Ritchey works fine with the 10 speed chain.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-10-22, 02:20 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by genejockey
This sounds about right.
Old 12-10-22, 02:32 PM
Koyote

The only logical conclusion here is that the OP (a) cannot, (b) does not want to, or (c) does not even know it is possible to remove the cassette from the wheel.
And is apparently incapable of counting to eight or nine, and hence will not simply click the shifter a few times to determine the number of speeds.

Honestly, I wonder why some posters even bother asking for advice when they just ignore it.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-10-22, 03:20 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
The inner wide of chains (all of them...5-8=2.38mm, 9-12=2.18mm) is basically the same. The outer width is what changes.That's why it's chainring spacing that changes.

I don't have any idea why the OP doesn't want to follow the dead simple advice posted multiple time either.
Likes For cxwrench: