Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

What happened to Girvin/Pro-Flex?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 04-30-05, 09:26 AM
robo

Bikes: 1990 Burley Bossa Nova, 1992 Paramount PDG-70, 1993 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2005 Jamis Dakar XC Pro, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I've been out of the bike loop for about 7 years (basically, while i was doing my Bachelors and Masters degrees). Originally from Vancouver, now living in New York. Anyway, i'm finally getting back into biking. I remember back in the day, i lusted after a Pro-Flex ride, or maybe just a Girvin Vector fork to put onto my StumpJumper.

I did a google this morning, and Pro-Flex and Girvin seem to have vanished.. Did they go bankrupt? I really liked the design and thinking behind the linkage Girvin Vector fork..

Thanks if anyone knows!!

-robin
Old 04-30-05, 09:33 AM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Pro-Flex and Girvin couldn't keep up with the industry and tanked.
Old 04-30-05, 09:39 AM
robo

Bikes: 1990 Burley Bossa Nova, 1992 Paramount PDG-70, 1993 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2005 Jamis Dakar XC Pro, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
How do you mean couldn't keep up? Pricing? Suspension tech?

Going into a bike shop for the first time in 7 years, it's amazing how mountain bikes have changed. Back in the mid 90's, a high end mountain bike was an elegant looking thing, hardtail usually, with an ultralight frame, svelte looking parts, and a 2.7" travel fork. Now, high end mountain bikes look like motocross bikes! They are built like tanks.. are those 4" tires on there?

It's going to take some getting used to. My old Tange Prestige Stumpjumper with the Softride stem is scared
Old 04-30-05, 09:54 AM
Karldar
SNIKT!

Bikes: '06 Kona Dawg Deluxe/'06 Cannondale F400(frame)/'98 Cannondale SuperV1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buddy of mine had a Proflex in the Army when we were stationed in Germany. He was constantly working on it--ordering parts he had broken, trying to pinpoint the numerous squeakings. Plus, his was all elastomer suspension, IIRC. Wore out quick. Lots of play in the linkage. It would've served him better on the wall as a conversation piece than on the trails. OTOH, I'm sure you could pick one up for cheap-if you can find one. Then, and now, I would recommend pretty much any other bike.
Old 04-30-05, 09:58 AM
robo

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Interesting. I guess it was a good thing i didn't blow all my savings on one back then like i was thinking of doing!
Old 04-30-05, 10:39 AM
Karldar
SNIKT!

Bikes: '06 Kona Dawg Deluxe/'06 Cannondale F400(frame)/'98 Cannondale SuperV1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robo
Interesting. I guess it was a good thing i didn't blow all my savings on one back then like i was thinking of doing!

Yeah, this guy was the type that always jumps in with both feet, whether there's a river at the bottom of the cliff or nice sharp rocks. Pro-flex was so hyped up and so new that he had to have it. We were all awe-struck at first(having HT's only at that point), but the subsequent failings of the bike sobered us up.
Old 04-30-05, 05:49 PM
white lobster
Easy like Sunday morning

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Girvin fork was a pretty cool thing when it came out. This was before one-piece lower leg castings, and the Girvin was arguably much stiffer laterally than anything else on the market.

K2 bought Pro-Flex way back in the day, but didn't do much with the brand. You can still get Pro-Flex parts (usually the bumpers that crack) from K2.
Old 04-30-05, 05:54 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Girvin/Pro-Flex/Noleen was purchased by K2 back around 1996. They're still doing well for themselves. If you're interested, check out the K2+Pro-Flex Riders Group website. K2's bike website can be found at:

https://www.k2bikes.com/

Although the original poster probably created this thread as a result, for those that haven't seen it before... regarding the Girvin forks go, check out my recent post on the CrossLink forks.
Old 04-30-05, 06:04 PM
swifferman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do you mean couldn't keep up? Pricing? Suspension tech?

Going into a bike shop for the first time in 7 years, it's amazing how mountain bikes have changed. Back in the mid 90's, a high end mountain bike was an elegant looking thing, hardtail usually, with an ultralight frame, svelte looking parts, and a 2.7" travel fork. Now, high end mountain bikes look like motocross bikes! They are built like tanks.. are those 4" tires on there?

It's going to take some getting used to. My old Tange Prestige Stumpjumper with the Softride stem is scared
High end bikes don't look like motocross bikes now, only freeride/downhill bikes !

Check out the Specialized Epic and S-Works and the Trek Fuel series and the Kona Kula Deluxe. Racing hard tails that look like you mentioned above. The Epic especially!
Old 06-22-05, 01:38 PM
DRJ1971

Bikes: Mountain Cycle MOHO w/ Girvin Vector 2 shocks,XT comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know this is an old thread but Ive just gotta say..I havent riden for a while due to several factors but I just took my trusting mtn bike out for a spin and I must say the Girvin Vector 2 is still one of the best forks ever!!! So stiff, light and great control and feel. If anyone knows of a place to get replacement elastomers please let me know. Mine are still fine but Im dreading the day they kick the bucket. Old school Mountain Cycle MOHO with Girvin Vector 2. This old bike is proving to still be da bomb.
Old 06-22-05, 01:42 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DRJ1971
I know this is an old thread but Ive just gotta say..I havent riden for a while due to several factors but I just took my trusting mtn bike out for a spin and I must say the Girvin Vector 2 is still one of the best forks ever!!! So stiff, light and great control and feel. If anyone knows of a place to get replacement elastomers please let me know. Mine are still fine but Im dreading the day they kick the bucket. Old school Mountain Cycle MOHO with Girvin Vector 2. This old bike is proving to still be da bomb.
This link was posted in the K2+Pro-Flex Rider's Group Forum.
Old 06-23-05, 04:58 AM
anthonaut
My life be like ooh aah

Bikes: Giant Boulder SE 2000, Craftworks FRM125 2002

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome avatar, robo.
Old 05-23-16, 04:55 PM
BikerAndy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They're still out there

I've been out of the bike loop for about 7 years (basically, while i was doing my Bachelors and Masters degrees). Originally from Vancouver, now living in New York. Anyway, i'm finally getting back into biking. I remember back in the day, i lusted after a Pro-Flex ride, or maybe just a Girvin Vector fork to put onto my StumpJumper.

I did a google this morning, and Pro-Flex and Girvin seem to have vanished.. Did they go bankrupt? I really liked the design and thinking behind the linkage Girvin Vector fork..

Thanks if anyone knows!!

-robin
Hey Robin - this is an old post, I know. But so am I. I actually got my first Girven Proflex in 1997, and I still have it. It is a great bike - all the gear, and still have the original lever forks. I have a new Monster frame too, with shocks. All still in good working order. Good maintenance helps... I have had to manufacture or repair a few parts, but well worth the effort to keep the name and ride true.

Andy
Old 03-31-20, 03:14 PM
Tnishibori

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Regarding Girvin Proflex

Thanks if anyone knows!!

-robin
my uncle sold the company to k2 skis.
Old 04-09-20, 11:14 AM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Tnishibori
my uncle sold the company to k2 skis.

Maybe you uncle will get a kick out of seeing this “K2” ProFlex 4500 😉👍😎
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 04-13-20, 08:54 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,852 Times in 4,397 Posts
I had a K2 Proflex 2000. I rode the thing for 10 years until the frame broke. That front end took a bigger hit pretty well but wasn't very supple. Ended up putting a Manitou fork on it and when the rear shock blew up (Noleen) I had a custom air shock made by Risse Racing. I had a lot of fun with it but it couldn't do what a modern bike can do on rough terrain.

Last edited by big john; 04-13-20 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-14-20, 07:37 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
. I had a lot of fun with it but it couldn't do what a modern bike can do on rough terrain.
It was 20 years ago. That's forever in the mt. bike technology world.

I had an 855, got it in '95, beat the crap out of that bike all over New Mexico, Colorado and back home in NY. It weighed 25.5 lbs, handled and rode great, even with a very rudimentary elastomer shock system with no real rebound control. Plus a wonky fork. I loved it.
Old 04-14-20, 09:11 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,852 Times in 4,397 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
It was 20 years ago. That's forever in the mt. bike technology world.

I had an 855, got it in '95, beat the crap out of that bike all over New Mexico, Colorado and back home in NY. It weighed 25.5 lbs, handled and rode great, even with a very rudimentary elastomer shock system with no real rebound control. Plus a wonky fork. I loved it.
Mine came with Noleen coil hydraulic shocks. When the front one leaked I put the Manitou fork on it and after I put the Risse Racing shock on the back it actually worked pretty well and I think I got it down to 28 pounds eventually.
Old 04-17-20, 09:20 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
I had the Noleen-equipped fork on a Mongoose FS and loved it. Lasted through many years of socal riding back in the mid-90's (or so).
Old 08-03-21, 08:48 AM
Happy Hooligan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've just discovered this great fork because of a local pickup.

Mine is a 93 Kona Fire Mountain with the Girvin /Vector 2. I was told when I bought it, it was a prototype made by the inventor for Mountain Bike Magazine for a photo shoot.
I'm currently rebuilding/restoring the whole bike and I have the elastomer on order. Almost done and it looks amazing. I can't wait to ride it.

If anyone has the old issues and can find the original pics that would be awesome! Also mine has a serial number sticker on it. Is there a data base on these with the serial?
Likes For Happy Hooligan:
Old 08-03-21, 09:12 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
Oh my...

Old 08-04-21, 07:23 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,121 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Oh my...

Mind bottling isnt it
Old 08-05-21, 04:30 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts

Thanks if anyone knows!!

-robin
njcraigslist has several on sale now...
Old 08-08-21, 06:59 PM
Happy Hooligan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So I just got my new elastomers!

Old 08-08-21, 07:12 PM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

Bikes: 1 away from divorce!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 173 Posts
I'm in the middle of rebuilding this 1995 855 Proflex. The elastomers were already gone so I ordered the replacement springs. This is a team bike from Team Rhino and a rider named Matt Quinn. Going to be a fun build.
Likes For brandenjs:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.