Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best way to mitigate tennis elbow on a gravel ride?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-04-22, 08:43 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 827 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 345 Posts

I've got a 45 mile gravel race coming up next week, and my tennis elbow is playing up. After about 10 miles of a training ride last week it seemed pretty locked up with a lot of stiffness and pain when I tried to move it. I'm using a drop bar bike but mostly stay on the hoods.

I figure I need some kind of support but I can't tell if a full elbow brace or one of the smaller straps that go under the elbow are the better way.

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations?
Old 09-04-22, 09:40 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
Is it medial or lateral? I know it’s something like golf vs tennis but people mix the two up all the time.

Strengthening exercises with a hammer seem really effective. You can look those up on climbing forums.

For the race, elbow sleeves seem ok. Same with ibuprofen.

I had this in my early 20’s when I was riding only road bikes a ton and also rock climbing a ton. It went away in time. Riding position and strength/flexibility seem to help. Time off, in my experience doesn’t help at all.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 09-04-22, 09:50 AM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
Kinesiotape is another good option. It’s a little more minimal than a sleeve or brace. Look for usage guides on YouTube. The basic cotton K-tape is fine. In the meantime, get the inflammation down with ice and ibuprofen. It will heal quickly once the swelling is down.
Likes For veloz:
Old 09-04-22, 11:37 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I've noticed that I've been getting pain in my elbow during/after a ride. I'm thinking of swapping my drop bars for flat bars. I know I'll be losing the aerodynamic advantage of riding in a hunched over position but I think the comfort of an upright position would be worth it.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-04-22, 11:50 AM
streetsurfer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 149 Posts
Improve your joint stability through it’s full range of motion by exercising with a gyro exercise ball. Keep it spinning with your wrist, using it’s range of motion, as you move your elbow and shoulder joints through their range.

should see improvements in two weeks. the goal being to more evenly than your regular activities may allow, strengthen all the muscles that surround and stabilize the joint. Else-wise things don't always track right. This leads to overuse injury with inflammation/swelling, pain and stiffness, possible nerve irritation/impingement.

Last edited by streetsurfer; 09-04-22 at 11:55 AM.
Likes For streetsurfer:
Old 09-04-22, 01:58 PM
Herzlos

Originally Posted by rosefarts
Is it medial or lateral? I know it’s something like golf vs tennis but people mix the two up all the time.
I initially thought it was golf since I had that a few years ago after lifting rocks and this came on after lifting rocks (you'd think I'd learn...), but the symptoms seemed to fit more with tennis and the muscle on the outside. The motion seems fine, and the strength is mostly still there but at some angles there's a lot of pain and some there's a total loss of power, generally involving clenching my fist towards a full arm extension. Like I can do 2 pull ups (I'm ~220lb and not in great shape, 2's pretty good) without issue, but lifting my laptop off a high shelf is hard.

I haven't tried resting it up because I've got kids

I'll try and do some movement exercises, and have picked up an elbow brace / strap set to see how I get on with that.
Old 09-04-22, 02:22 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
I have both muscle/ligament pain on the inside of my right elbow, and pretty signiicant arthritic pain caused by old radial head breaks on the outside of both elbows, but especially the right. Some of my interventions might help you in the short term, some in the longer term.

I have decided that Sram "double tap" shifting is much better for my right elbow especially than Shimano. It's kind of subtle, but the Sram down shifting (to a lower gear/ larger sprocket) in back is more of a wrist and finger motion than moving/sweeping the brake lever to do the same with Shimano. The Shimano - for me - requires more elbow rotation and exacerbates the right elbow pain.

My newest AXS Etap bike is even better for that. I told my skeptical self years ago that if electronic shifting would help this pain, I'd be all in, even though I'm totally happy with the performance and other aspects of modern mechanical. It's not enough of a difference to update my other two Sram mechanical bikes, and I'll always keep a mechanical bike for the ease of repair and replacement on the road (we travel with our RV for months at a time).

Braking from the hoods can also irritate my right elbow. I found that for longer and/or harder braking, I go into the drops and squeeze the lever from there and this is probably the biggest help for my issues. Again, with the new AXS hydraulic disc brakes, that helps a bit too. But not a huge amount compared to good rim brakes and I often have to resort to braking from the drops with the hydro discs too.

Finally, I've gravitated more and more to padding of gloves and handlebar tape. I have cushy handlebar tape with gel inserts on the tops. I also have a Shock Stop stem on my gravel bike. Those things also help.

It all adds up. It's still a pain, and some days are worse than others, but I never have to quit a ride. Of all those things, I think the Sram shifting and braking from the drops helps the most, with the Etap and hydro discs to a lesser extent. I really gravitate to braking from the drops on a bad day.

Last edited by Camilo; 09-04-22 at 02:26 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 09-04-22, 02:30 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 240 Posts
An experienced physical therapist once told me to wrap a thick five-inch rubber band around my fingertips and open the fingers outward against the resistance.
It took about a month of doing the at my desk, during my commutes, and while watching TV at night to see my tennis elbow subside.
I got mine from doing yardwork. It lasted more than six months, before finally doing something about it.
Give it a whirl. About the cheapest solution ever devised.
Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 09-04-22, 02:35 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 409 Posts
… and ice it frequently. I had a bout of it a few months ago and finally got it to go away with the ice. If/when you’re just sitting around ice it for 10-15 min.

Dan
Old 09-04-22, 02:38 PM
BkSaGo

Bikes: CAAD9 5

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I have mild “tennis elbow” and have had good luck getting short-term relief from the bands you wrap around your forearm just below the elbow. This gets me through doing activities, but isn’t a long term solution. It could be enough to get you through your race next week while you pursue a longer term solution. I’m going to try some of the exercises recommended above.
Old 09-05-22, 08:56 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I've noticed that I've been getting pain in my elbow during/after a ride. I'm thinking of swapping my drop bars for flat bars. I know I'll be losing the aerodynamic advantage of riding in a hunched over position but I think the comfort of an upright position would be worth it.
Unlikely that switching to a flat bar is the answer. You will have many fewer hand positions and having your elbow in the same position all the time is not likely to help. Try moving around on the bars more during your rides, and look at all the other good suggestions in this thread.
Old 09-05-22, 10:27 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
When I had the wider 42 cm drops on my bike, I was feeling a little annoyance right above my elbow. I changed to 38 cm drop bars and haven't had that issue show up again.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-05-22, 07:54 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Unlikely that switching to a flat bar is the answer. You will have many fewer hand positions and having your elbow in the same position all the time is not likely to help. Try moving around on the bars more during your rides, and look at all the other good suggestions in this thread.
I don't get elbow pain when riding my gravel/commuter bike which is a mountain bike with flat bars. But I won't ride a flat bar bike without bar ends so I can change my hand positions. I've got a set of bar ends on order which should show up next week.

My other reasons for changing the handlebars is that my bike is around 30 years old and the bars are not very comfortable when riding on the hoods. Certainly not like more modern bikes. And I'm not a big fan of the down tube shifters which I find hard to shift while pedaling, and sometimes have to feel around to find while riding.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-05-22, 07:58 PM
daaave

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Herzlos
I've got a 45 mile gravel race coming up next week, and my tennis elbow is playing up. After about 10 miles of a training ride last week it seemed pretty locked up with a lot of stiffness and pain when I tried to move it. I'm using a drop bar bike but mostly stay on the hoods.

I figure I need some kind of support but I can't tell if a full elbow brace or one of the smaller straps that go under the elbow are the better way.

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations?
ICE and rest was the answer for me. Also AGE makes a difference. If you haven't checked your T levels, or blood sugar levels i would check those out. If you have low T, it takes forever to heal. Plus if your blood is slow due to blood sugar, you won't heal either. Ah, the joys of getting old.
Likes For daaave:
Old 09-06-22, 03:10 AM
Herzlos

Maybe it is an age thing, I'm a lot closer to registering for the veterans category for events than I'd like (38).

Originally Posted by Iride01
When I had the wider 42 cm drops on my bike, I was feeling a little annoyance right above my elbow. I changed to 38 cm drop bars and haven't had that issue show up again.
Maybe a bike fit is in order, I haven't bought any new parts in over a week!
Old 09-06-22, 09:08 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
the Mayo Clinic has some interesting info

if you want a decent sleeve I've been happy with these. be sure to measure your elbow before ordering

Thermoskin Elastic Elbow Support, Beige, X-Large

Elbow Brace Compression Sleeve (1 Pair) - Instant Arm Support Elbow Sleeves for Tendonitis, Arthritis, Bursitis, Golfers & Tennis Elbow Brace, Treatment, Workouts, Weightlifting, Pain Relief, Recovery

the "Crucial" brand item is a little more comfortable
the "Thermoskin" brand is a little more snug & not as long, but I still like it
I like having more than one so I always have a clean one handy.
I gently hand wash in the sink
the "Copperfit" brand stitching started to fall apart. those are comfortable but they are black & don't provide much compression

Last edited by rumrunn6; 09-07-22 at 04:35 AM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 09-06-22, 09:24 AM
streetsurfer

Poor healing from injury, due to malnourishment from digestive problems, and inflammation in joints from food sensitivities due to leaky gut, were a thing for me for a decade or more. Had a torn meniscus that did not heal. I developed trigger finger, T.O.S, carpal and cubital tunnel issues, arthritic pain all over. Among many other health complications

I found I had celiac disease. Stopped eating wheat and all of those things healed up and stopped bothering me. I gave up thirty foods that I had built antibodies to, in order to reduce the immune attacks on my joints, where incompletely digested proteins become deposited and are attacked as invaders.

…consider this if you just don’t seem to heal no matter the therapy tried.
Likes For streetsurfer:
Old 09-06-22, 10:28 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Maybe a bike fit is in order, I haven't bought any new parts in over a week!
Well don't just go by what I did and related earlier. You need to evaluate whether the current bars width seem like they may play a part in your annoyance. Things like, do they put your arms in a position where they brace you to well for side to side sway and take up all the road and riding forces instead of sharing some of those with the rest of your body. Or do they put your upper and lower arm at a odd twist to each other. And other things like that.
Old 09-06-22, 12:56 PM
Herzlos

I'm not sure if the position is the problem, as the bike has been comfortable enough before. I think it's more related to having my arm in a single position for a longer duration and the vibration, but I'll experiment with different positions and try to keep changing it up.
Old 09-06-22, 01:25 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
and the vibration
Vibration is a killer for my arthritis so I use gel pads under the tape and anti vibration gloves which are much much better than cycling gloves:https://www.amazon.com/Cestus-Vibrat...%2C175&sr=1-28
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 09-06-22, 05:18 PM
streetsurfer

Bar weights can quell vibration. These bars are much wider than I prefer or are an appropriate fit, and seem to resonate more because of it. Until I get them changed, I added these bar end weights from my supermoto, to reduce the vibrations when I take to a path or rough surface. Seems to work well there. No doubt it would too if long ride vibrations are even part of what is wearing at you.

Last edited by streetsurfer; 09-06-22 at 05:27 PM.
Likes For streetsurfer:
Old 09-07-22, 04:50 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 244 Posts
I'm like Iride01, only different. For me, narrower bars can result in pain on the lateral point of the elbow joint (looking at arms outstretched with palms down). Wider bars help, but too wide can result in pain on the opposite side of the elbow. Both are manageable/preventable if I concentrate on 1) not gripping bars too tightly; 2) varying hand position periodically, including different grips in the same position; and 3) not bearing too much weight on my hands. All of these are basically just having good form on the bike. When I get sloppy/lazy, that's when I start to get pains.

That's just me, of course, there are others who have different issues, but it's something to think about.
Old 09-07-22, 06:29 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
For getting through an extended activity, like a 2+ hour ride, I like the full -arm (wrist -to-bicep) compression sleeves. You may find that subconsciously, you're favoring a slightly different than usual position, to relieve the irritation/injury and putting more load on other parts of your arm over time.
I like the 'graduated' sleeves; the ones with extra seams or overlays, over the plain, 'tube sock' style; they seem to give more directed support during athletic activity.
Old 09-07-22, 07:13 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 703 Posts
Cortisone shot.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 09-07-22, 08:25 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
You know you can set your drop bar so the top will be in the same place as a flat bar, right?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.