Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Seperated Rim Seam?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Seperated Rim Seam?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-22, 09:48 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by Soody
I did not. This is interesting to me. So... the seam is not welded, and the brake track and hook of the rim are just held in place by a pin below and tension? That seems crazy.
Even welded rims have pins to hold them together prior to being welded. The pins look a lot like this picture from Ryde.

And here is what they say about the pin joint

PIN JOINT
Pin joint rim offers more stability. The two channels add more weight and stiffness to the profile. Pin joint rims and Internal safety line work together in one design unit.
The pin joint often causes a bit of a flat spot at the join (directly across from the valve stem) that is difficult to get rid of during building. Tension on the rim from the spokes will keep the pin closed even if it isn’t welded. It’s not something to be concerned about even if it looks strange.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 12-08-22, 09:56 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
100% OK. this was the condition all along, and based on appearances, has been this way for a looooong time. No reason to think anything is going to change now.

Consider, the rim is being held together by the spoke induced compression, and kept from shifting sideways by the internal pin, and the force of the beads pressing on the sides. Where and how can anything move?

FWIW - the problem is that the extrusion was cut square, so there was a bit of a missing pie wedge when it was formed into a circle. This wasn't at all rare BITD, and has never caused issues, except for obsessive, paranoid, super finicky, forum reading cyclists.
This.

I've heard of long-distance touring cyclists who have cut rims in half in order to carry them on long trips...Then they can rebuilt a wheel out in the field. The spokes hold it all together.
Old 12-08-22, 10:33 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
I did not. This is interesting to me. So... the seam is not welded, and the brake track and hook of the rim are just held in place by a pin below and tension? That seems crazy.
That may seem crazy, but it is a cheap way to join rims and has been used for MANY decades. An obvious marker of a low-end rim.
Old 12-08-22, 10:49 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4805 Post(s)
Liked 3,927 Times in 2,553 Posts
Sailboats have sailed the harshest waters on this planet with masts just sitting either on a pin or in a cup and nothing more than rigging tension holding it in place. And in waters like the Southern Ocean, more than one boat has been rolled over 360 and those mast never fall out. Well they do break occasionally. (Wire rigging has a lot in common with the wire spokes we use to keep the rim where it belongs.)
Old 12-08-22, 11:15 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
That may seem crazy, but it is a cheap way to join rims and has been used for MANY decades. An obvious marker of a low-end rim.
Not an obvious marker of a low end rim at all. Even welded rims are pinned. I’ve broken down many rims for scrapping and they all have pins. It’s how the rim is held together so that it can be welded.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-08-22, 11:33 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3505 Post(s)
Liked 2,924 Times in 1,774 Posts
I don't recall seeing too many rims with the seam so off-center between the spokes.
Old 12-08-22, 02:44 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5778 Post(s)
Liked 2,575 Times in 1,426 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I don't recall seeing too many rims with the seam so off-center between the spokes.
It's a cosmetic non-critical issue, related to how rims are made.

After the extrusion is formed into a hoop, it moves to the drilling station

It's the operator's job to find the seam and orient it to a reference mark in the fixture. Since it's non-critical it's done to eyeball tolerance, and I expect that a decent worker can easily keep it within few millimeters on either side.

Sometimes they get distracted and miss.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 12-08-22, 02:47 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
No luck.

It was pretty out of true/round and the spoke tension wasn't great. I thought I had got it ok with some trueing and one spot on the rim that needed crescent wrench bending. Then I noticed this...

Please check the area of that dark/black line on the rim under MICHELIN COUNTRY. To me it looks like it could be the beginning of a rim brake track separation.

Here are a few images of such a line on a rim that failed.

Fortunately this was a rear wheel and the tire pressure held it together enough to get home on. When I deflated the tire to check the badly out of true rim the rim tacoed. I was really lucky that it didn't do that on the ride.

Also, to me it looks ike the beginning of a vertical crack between the letters M and I on the tire.

Cheers
Old 12-08-22, 03:46 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Not at all. Some rims are pinned or sleeved rather than welded. Welding is more expensive and you get a smoother transition that way, but there are some sleeved rims that I wouldn't hesitate to use myself. One such rim is the DT Swiss R460 which I built up a pair of and have over 10K miles on and have never had to re-true since I initially built them. Granted I did get a very slight cyclical thud, thud, thud when braking for the first 200 or so miles, but that eventually went away as the transition smoothed over.

Your rim is a different story. It was obviously in some sort of incident. I personally wouldn't ride it except maybe around the block.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-08-22, 03:53 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
BITD, welded rims were the exception rather than the rule. Cheap pinned rims may not line up the ends of the extrusion well, causing a "thunk" when braking, every time the seam passes through the brake blocks. This can be fixed with a file, or, in the case of a front wheel, often just by turning the wheel around in the fork ends so the protruding lip trails the brake blocks rather than leading it.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 12-08-22, 03:56 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

I haven't seen so much smoke since the Chicago Fire.
You're that old?? Did you shame Mrs. O'Leary?
Old 12-08-22, 04:08 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

This bike was not flipped so much as abandoned lol. I am the flipper. I really don't like selling bikes with pitted cones or worn out brake tracks so sussing wheels is the trickiest thing by far. I need to learn to build them.

Did you say you are going to flip this bike? How much do you think you can get for it?
Old 12-08-22, 04:10 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by Miele Man
Please check the area of that dark/black line on the rim under MICHELIN COUNTRY. To me it looks like it could be the beginning of a rim brake track separation.

Also, to me it looks ike the beginning of a vertical crack between the letters M and I on the tire.

Cheers
I can't believe the amount of doom and gloom on this thread. Bicycles are not use once and discard items. They last a long time, and obviously will not stay in pristine condition forever
The dark line referenced s VERY unlikely to be the beginning of a crack, since it smoothly crosses the joint. It's most likely to be a rubber scuff from the brake shoes, or some tar tracked onto the rim.

The tire concern is likewise overblown, and seems to be no more than the kind of cosmetic scratch tires are prone to.

Of course the OP might give both a closer look, but he needs to insulate himself from overblown issues.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-08-22, 04:26 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Lombard
You're that old?? Did you shame Mrs. O'Leary?
Not quite. But I would have been the idiot saying you can't blame a cow for kicking.

Last edited by FBinNY; 12-08-22 at 04:31 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 12-08-22, 05:22 PM
soyabean

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 274 Posts
Did you say you are going to flip this bike? How much do you think you can get for it?
I wouldn't.

The wheelset and groupset are worth more on a much prettier frame.

Pretty bikes that look newish puts noticable money in my pocket. Vintage crap does not (see a previous reply of mine on this thread.)
Old 12-08-22, 05:51 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 218 Posts
I can't believe the amount of doom and gloom on this thread. Bicycles are not use once and discard items. They last a long time, and obviously will not stay in pristine condition forever
Of course the OP might give both a closer look, but he needs to insulate himself from overblown issues.
It's all good. I appreciate it even. I learnt about the issue and think I can get some use from the wheel, but I don't mind tempering it with some caution, it's how I think anyway.
Old 12-08-22, 06:00 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Also, to me it looks like the beginning of a vertical crack between the letters M and I on the tire.
That "vertical crack" is the rim joint previously discussed.
Old 12-08-22, 06:02 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 1,830 Times in 828 Posts
Here are a few images of such a line on a rim that failed.
About 20 years ago, I had a rear wheel on my recumbent that was making a mysterious thumping noise. Looked closer...

At Rusty Spoke a while ago, a customer brought in a 20-spoke aero road wheel where 5 of the spoke holes (25%) showed visible cracking and deformation. Became a parts donor in a hurry.
Old 12-08-22, 06:04 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Well sort of. I wanted to use these wheels on a different, nicer build, with some new consumables, because they have good hubs. But with this flaw, even purely a cosmetic one, I will put them onto something much cheaper, aim for ~$50
If you're curious about my work/local market these are the bikes i'm currently selling:
https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/search?m...isting=6820063
A New Zealand dollar is about 60 US cents.

Last edited by Soody; 12-08-22 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-08-22, 06:07 PM
Soody

I know about the rim cracking issue. Tonnes of bikes come in with signs of cracks appearing or that are extremely concave. I agree it's not safe. Usually cut the spokes and take them to the metal recycling place every few months for $2/KG on allum or 20c/KG on steel

These ones are fine though on that front.
Old 12-08-22, 07:27 PM
soyabean

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 274 Posts
It's not a money making venture I just like doing it, and like to see people riding decent bikes.
And i'd say my skills are pretty novice still. I have a lot to learn
Keep it up.

One way to learn better skills is focus on volume. Start working on new finds right away and complete them. Find good sources for parts and supplies, local and mail order. Don't have them turn into "project bikes" that will just stay in pieces forever and depress you.

The more you churn out, the better you get at tackling any repair like any good shop wrench. It's an amazing feeling you get when you've done your first headset overhaul, your first bottom bracket swap, or your first true wheel.

Get your finished bikes out to market fast. They should sell in reasonable time. It's ok to have a few unicorns that can take months to sell, but majority of your flips should sell within weeks if not days. Each one that turns into cash, makes room for the next one.

Flipping bikes is fun and can be profitable if your collection is made up of what sells and what people buy. That's exactly what a used bike shop is about.

There's one flipper in my town and all he does is unicorns and vintage. He has about 150 bikes in his house and sells about half dozen bikes a year. I keep tabs on him so I can remain in constant fear to never turn into that guy.
Old 12-08-22, 07:38 PM
Soody

Originally Posted by soyabean
Keep it up.

One way to learn better skills is focus on volume. Start working on new finds right away and complete them. Find good sources for parts and supplies, local and mail order. Don't have them turn into "project bikes" that will just stay in pieces forever and depress you.
The more you churn out, the better you get at tackling any repair like any good shop wrench. It's an amazing feeling you get when you've done your first headset overhaul, your first bottom bracket swap, or your first true wheel.
Get your finished bikes out to market fast. They should sell in reasonable time. It's ok to have a few unicorns that can take months to sell, but majority of your flips should sell within weeks if not days. Each one that turns into cash, makes room for the next one.
Flipping bikes is fun and can be profitable if your collection is made up of what sells and what people buy. That's exactly what a used bike shop is about.

There's one flipper in my town and all he does is unicorns and vintage. He has about 150 bikes in his house and sells about half dozen bikes a year. I keep tabs on him so I can remain in constant fear to never turn into that guy.
Great advice. Thank you. I think you're right too
Likes For Soody:
Old 12-08-22, 07:59 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
About 20 years ago, I had a rear wheel on my recumbent that was making a mysterious thumping noise. Looked closer...
This ^^
The thumping, in my experience, is more of a feeling (pulsation) in the brake lever, and is the earliest sign of impending rim separation along the brake track.

This one was thumping pretty good... also a rear wheel.

A more "radial" view.
Old 12-08-22, 10:25 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

The dark line referenced s VERY unlikely to be the beginning of a crack, since it smoothly crosses the joint. It's most likely to be a rubber scuff from the brake shoes, or some tar tracked onto the rim.

The tire concern is likewise overblown, and seems to be no more than the kind of cosmetic scratch tires are prone to.

Take another look at the image I posted showing that rim with the tire mounted on it. You can CLEARLY see that the vertical mark/crack between the M and the I does NOT go all the way down the rim. It's CLEARLY not the rim joint.

Can you be certain just from looking at the ops images that the dark line running along the rim near the top is NOT a crack nor the beginning of a crack? Wouldn't the OP be wise to check it to make sure?

Cheers

Cheers
Old 12-08-22, 10:27 PM
Miele Man

Originally Posted by sweeks
That "vertical crack" is the rim joint previously discussed.
No it isn't. The crack/line I posted about does not go all the way down the rim like the rim joint does. It's clearly a different area and possible issue.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.