Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.4

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.4

Old 12-09-22, 06:50 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3076 Post(s)
Liked 1,784 Times in 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
Talking about my solo, I have Rolf Echelon aluminum wheels on it. They were on sale for $500 with a Campagnolo hub. They have been reliable for me in spite of my 250 pounds.

They have 25 mm GP5000TL running tubeless. They have reinflated without loosing the bead. I drop the pressure to around 20 PSI when they fly.

Mine is a 60 cm frame. It just barely fits in a Ritchey soft case with the original cloth protectors on the frame. I put the whole Shebang in the case. Including the tools I need to assemble it.

It has a 120 cm stem, 175 cranks, but they are Campagnolo so one bolt and they come off. The bars are Fizik Cyrano Snake 46 cm. Saddle is also a Fizik Snake 140 mm wide. Pedals are Shimano SPD. I use the MTB pedals because I wanted walkable shoes.

The shoes go in the case, along with a couple sets of riding kit, but I carry my helmet.

My memory says there are wheels on the case, but I would have to get it down from the garage attic to be sure. If I sprang for an S&S case it might not get as beat up.
I have a Co-Motion case, to carry a 58 cm S&S coupled bike. The tires have to be completely deflated, or better yet, removed. Weight becomes an issue if I try to include too many extra tools and such. I kinda remember putting the helmet in there at least once. The case has wheels and a nice spring-loaded handle for pulling it.
Old 12-09-22, 06:52 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Baker looks weird on the Rams.
I forgot! Did he start last night?
Old 12-09-22, 07:12 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
I have to figure out whether I want to get a rental for our Spain trip in April or bring the Habanero. Since the queen stage of the trip will be the Mallorca 312, which is a VERY LONG day in the saddle, I am leaning towards trying to bring the Habanero which will fit me better than a stock rental. However, we may be spending some time in a couple different places in Spain BEFORE Mallorca, and shipping the bike from point A to point B to point C in Spain may be a huge hassle....so might still rent. I am waiting for mrs datlas to confirm what she wants/does not want for our itinerary before I start to actually solve this.

It's possible I will simply rent a road bike during the non-Mallorca part of the ride and use bikeflights (or similar) to send the Habanero to/from Mallorca for the big ride.
Old 12-09-22, 07:57 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
I forgot! Did he start last night?
No, oddly, Wolford got the start. Baker came in early and looked good, though.
Old 12-09-22, 08:01 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9529 Post(s)
Liked 6,270 Times in 3,458 Posts
Woo-hoo!

Wordle 538 2/6

⬜⬜⬜🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 12-09-22, 08:17 AM
seedsbelize2

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Woo-hoo!

Wordle 538 2/6

⬜⬜⬜🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
I was thinking deuce but had to settle for a tre.
Kudos
Old 12-09-22, 08:57 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
I was thinking deuce but had to settle for a tre.
Kudos
How about a Trey?

Old 12-09-22, 09:03 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
It's possible I will simply rent a road bike during the non-Mallorca part of the ride and use bikeflights (or similar) to send the Habanero to/from Mallorca for the big ride.
Have you priced bikeflights for that?
Old 12-09-22, 09:09 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13641 Post(s)
Liked 4,450 Times in 2,470 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
Today, after 18 months of BS I have a date for my lumbar fusion surgery (ALIF). February 8, 2023. I hope I get clearance from my cardiologist.

About 3 weeks ago I had 4 A Fib "episodes" where my heart began to race at a high rate. I never had this happen before. All previous A Fib occurrences were mild, benign fluttering events. The ones that happened 3 weeks ago were violent and scary. The first one came on as i was getting ready for work and I was out before I knew what hit me. Luckily my wife was right by me and broke my fall.

After I regained consciousness and got my ***t together, I went downstairs to the kitchen and had another one but managed to stay awake - barely. I then went to the living room and sat on the couch. After about 10 minutes another one hit me and I barely remained conscious. At this point I had my wife take me to work to pick up my laptop and I worked from home all day without incident. After dinner I was in the kitchen when the 4th one happened. I felt it coming on and raced into the living room and sat down on the couch and never came close to fainting. After these episodes we took my blood pressure and it was crazy high.

2 days later I had my previously scheduled 6 month follow up with my cardiologist which of course was anything but routine. I had an EKG which was normal and she doubled my metoprolol dose and changed it from tartrate to succinate and told me not to drive which I had already done. I was fitted with a heart monitor for 30 days which ends on the 17th.

She is concerned I might have fainted because after I ended A Fib I didn't return to normal rhythm quickly enough. If that is the case I may have to get a pacemaker. I have an echocardiogram scheduled for December 29th.

To make matters worse my right knee began to ache and it hurts to walk, bend it or stand. I asked my cardiologist if my recent switch to Atorvastatin could be the cause. She told me to stop taking it for 7 days and let her know what happens.

There's more to the story. My mother in law has a brain tumor and is having surgery tomorrow. The Doctor thinks it's malignant. My wife leaves on Sunday to stay with her.

..sigh..

#LongestPostInRecordedHistory
Oh man.
Old 12-09-22, 09:25 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
Today, after 18 months of BS I have a date for my lumbar fusion surgery (ALIF). February 8, 2023. I hope I get clearance from my cardiologist.

About 3 weeks ago I had 4 A Fib "episodes" where my heart began to race at a high rate. I never had this happen before. All previous A Fib occurrences were mild, benign fluttering events. The ones that happened 3 weeks ago were violent and scary. The first one came on as i was getting ready for work and I was out before I knew what hit me. Luckily my wife was right by me and broke my fall.

After I regained consciousness and got my ***t together, I went downstairs to the kitchen and had another one but managed to stay awake - barely. I then went to the living room and sat on the couch. After about 10 minutes another one hit me and I barely remained conscious. At this point I had my wife take me to work to pick up my laptop and I worked from home all day without incident. After dinner I was in the kitchen when the 4th one happened. I felt it coming on and raced into the living room and sat down on the couch and never came close to fainting. After these episodes we took my blood pressure and it was crazy high.

2 days later I had my previously scheduled 6 month follow up with my cardiologist which of course was anything but routine. I had an EKG which was normal and she doubled my metoprolol dose and changed it from tartrate to succinate and told me not to drive which I had already done. I was fitted with a heart monitor for 30 days which ends on the 17th.

She is concerned I might have fainted because after I ended A Fib I didn't return to normal rhythm quickly enough. If that is the case I may have to get a pacemaker. I have an echocardiogram scheduled for December 29th.

To make matters worse my right knee began to ache and it hurts to walk, bend it or stand. I asked my cardiologist if my recent switch to Atorvastatin could be the cause. She told me to stop taking it for 7 days and let her know what happens.

There's more to the story. My mother in law has a brain tumor and is having surgery tomorrow. The Doctor thinks it's malignant. My wife leaves on Sunday to stay with her.

..sigh..

#LongestPostInRecordedHistory
Wow! What a string of horrors! One thing at a time, I guess. I'll be thinking of you and please update.
Old 12-09-22, 09:27 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Have you priced bikeflights for that?
Not yet but that's on my radar. I need to nail down the timing first, and mrs datlas is dragging her feet on committing to this. Plan is to get it sorted out next month.
Old 12-09-22, 09:30 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
Not yet but that's on my radar. I need to nail down the timing first, and mrs datlas is dragging her feet on committing to this. Plan is to get it sorted out next month.
Where else are you planning visit?
Old 12-09-22, 09:37 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Where else are you planning visit?
It's complicated. Initially I wanted to go to Andalucia, which we love. But then mrs datlas said since we are going to Mallorca, we may want to try seeing Valencia and/or Murcia since they are closer to Mallorca and we have not gone there. Then daughter #2 recently has had some mental health issues, so now mrs datlas is rethinking everything. Heidi is coming home from LA for 3 weeks starting next week, so I am hopeful once we have a better understanding of that variable, we can plan our trip. I would not mind just spending 10 days in Mallorca but mrs datlas thinks it's too boring for her.
Old 12-09-22, 09:50 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9529 Post(s)
Liked 6,270 Times in 3,458 Posts
Daily Quordle 319
6️⃣9️⃣
4️⃣8️⃣
quordle.com
⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜ ⬜⬜🟨🟨🟨
🟨🟩⬜⬜🟨 ⬜⬜⬜🟨🟩
⬜🟩⬜🟩⬜ ⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨
⬜🟩⬜🟩⬜ ⬜⬜⬜🟨🟨
🟨🟩⬜🟩🟨 ⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 ⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ ⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ ⬜🟩⬜🟨⬜
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

⬜⬜🟨⬜🟩 🟨⬜⬜🟩⬜
⬜🟩⬜⬜🟨 ⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩 🟨🟨⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 ⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ ⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ ⬜🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ ⬜⬜🟩🟩🟩
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

There is a word in there that I've never heard of.
Old 12-09-22, 09:56 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10246 Post(s)
Liked 11,599 Times in 5,945 Posts
I have to figure out whether I want to get a rental for our Spain trip in April or bring the Habanero. Since the queen stage of the trip will be the Mallorca 312, which is a VERY LONG day in the saddle, I am leaning towards trying to bring the Habanero which will fit me better than a stock rental. However, we may be spending some time in a couple different places in Spain BEFORE Mallorca, and shipping the bike from point A to point B to point C in Spain may be a huge hassle....so might still rent. I am waiting for mrs datlas to confirm what she wants/does not want for our itinerary before I start to actually solve this.

I think a rental bike could be fine, IFF (if and only if) you measure your bike exhaustively so you can replicate your exact fit, AND take your own saddle - unless your saddle is a common current model, in which case you just need to establish you can get one there.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 12-09-22, 10:07 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by genejockey
I think a rental bike could be fine, IFF (if and only if) you measure your bike exhaustively so you can replicate your exact fit, AND take your own saddle - unless your saddle is a common current model, in which case you just need to establish you can get one there.
Maybe true.

Issue is that the rental company may not have the correct size stem to compensate for different (likely shorter) reach, and moving the saddle forward to compensate for that is really dangerous. But I may have to compromise, depending on what shakes out.

I have ridden on rented/borrowed stock frames before without any trouble, but never on a super-long ride where proper fit may be a bigger issue.
Old 12-09-22, 10:11 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Maybe true.

Issue is that the rental company may not have the correct size stem to compensate for different (likely shorter) reach, and moving the saddle forward to compensate for that is really dangerous. But I may have to compromise, depending on what shakes out.

I have ridden on rented/borrowed stock frames before without any trouble, but never on a super-long ride where proper fit may be a bigger issue.
Stems are so easy to swap these days. Maybe you could nail down the brand and size of frame and buy/take a stem, along with the saddle?

Old 12-09-22, 10:48 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by genejockey
Stems are so easy to swap these days. Maybe you could nail down the brand and size of frame and buy/take a stem, along with the saddle?
It's an option. Watch this space for updates.
Old 12-09-22, 11:41 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
AG and I rented bikes in Maui a few years back and it was fine, though we used their saddles (which were good) and they swapped stems to our spec. Helped that it was an actual bike shop.
Old 12-09-22, 12:20 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
Mrs datlas and I were treated to daughter #1's first 4th/5th grade concert last night. This included band (whither Velo Vol ?) AND chorus. We stayed in the back row and kept a low profile, but we were very proud of the performance she led. Plus, the little kids are SO cute!
My daughter #2’s holiday concert for band and chorus was last night. She sits first chair for clarinet and had a part in one of their songs where she was playing with just her and percussion. She practices that thing like 30 minutes a day- proud of her
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 12-09-22, 12:24 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by phrantic09
My daughter #2’s holiday concert for band and chorus was last night. She sits first chair for clarinet and had a part in one of their songs where she was playing with just her and percussion. She practices that thing like 30 minutes a day- proud of her
Kudos.

'tis the concert season.
Old 12-09-22, 12:31 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
Kudos.

'tis the concert season.
the 4th and 5th grade orchestra were pretty rough
Old 12-09-22, 12:33 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by phrantic09
the 4th and 5th grade orchestra were pretty rough
I believe it. My daughter runs the choir and band, they were fine. The orchestra (strings only) are run by another teacher, and they were kinda screechy. But still cute!
Old 12-09-22, 12:59 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8723 Post(s)
Liked 2,855 Times in 1,674 Posts
I have a post op follow up appointment 12 days after surgery. This is going to easy! I'll be riding by St Patrick's day!

To quote Abraham Lincoln; that's some fuzzy math.
Likes For DougRNS:
Old 12-09-22, 01:00 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Boosted and Flu'd. First year getting the "65+" version of the flu shot. Not sure whether to be honored or insulted.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.