Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

The Age 40+ Singlespeed & Fixed Gear Thread

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

The Age 40+ Singlespeed & Fixed Gear Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-11, 06:35 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
OK. Since you live on the west coast, which is a culture all its own and completely different from the rest of the country, I will afford you special dispensation to use the effete term "fixie", if you wish. You will notice that the title of the main subform is "Singlespeed & Fixed Gear", not "Singlespeed & Fixies." Furthermore, most posters ecominize by simply referring to their bikes as SS or FG, and everyone understands, even "hipsters."

As to your comments regarding track bikes .vs. fixed gears, I see fixed gears as being the genre and track .vs. road being the application, although I concede that in common usage FG means a bike meant for the road. The distinction is somewhat blurred depending on the extent that the bike is set up optimally for one purpose or the other. I actually have several fixed gear bikes, 6 to be precise, and they vary from track only to road only to multi-use. Three are steel and three are aluminum. None are carbon fiber, although two of them do have cf forks. Most of the characteristics of a track frame, such as a higher bottom bracket to minimize pedal strike, are desirable for both track (velodrome) use and road use. A track bike can be converted into a comfortable road bike by a simple change in handlebars / stem, and addition of a front brake for safety. Unless you are racing in the national / world championships, the same wheels / tires can be used on both the road and track. An example of this is my latest FG bike, which I intend to use on both the road and track.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMGP0977.jpg (98.8 KB, 233 views)

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 01-21-11, 07:31 PM
KRhea

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
"Special dispensation" accepted and appreciated, thanks. Now about your 6 "fixies"...just kidding, thanks for the "hipster free safe haven" for us older guys!

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

KRhea
Old 01-22-11, 09:49 AM
Chad1376

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Alright..I joined this forum because of this thread. My fixed gear road bike has been my favorite since I built it several years ago. It's always the bike I consider first before a ride. For some reason, I like it better than my geared bikes when I'm out of shape and getting back on the saddle...and I love it even more when my legs are back and I can get the tires singing.

It's just a beat up old C-dale frame with some discarded components, and cheapo schrader-valve rims.

So..on to my latest bike. I originally built this up as a single speed, but after looking at the name "Fixation" for a few years, I decided to spin off the freewheel and spin on a cheapo track cog (with a healthy dose of red loctite). Wow, is this bike fun now. I can actually do hipster skids (in the dirt) without blowing out my knees and crashing. The only downside is the occasional pedal strike going over rocks. Oh well, pedals are replaceable.

Last edited by Chad1376; 01-22-11 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-22-11, 10:43 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

@Chad1376. Welcome to the forum and this thread. I'm glad to see that this thread is bringing in more members, and helping to dispell the myth that SS & FG is only for youngsters. I think both your bikes are hot and spot-on.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 01-22-11, 12:08 PM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
A real dilemma

TejanoTrackie,

I was born in Los Angeles and lived there for 17 years and 364 days. My family pre dates state hood. Because of this family lineage I feel somewhat compelled to apply for a permit to use the banned five letter word.

However, on my 17th year and 365th day of life I left California to live elsewhere. Because of this, I feel somewhat compelled to use FG or Fixed Gear.

I'm sure you now can see my dilemma. I'm clearly a POMPG (Person of Mixed Pedaling Geography).

To make matters worse, I'm going to build a (yet to be determined name) bike. I really like the Wabi Lightning frame set. Wabi, just my luck, is in California. Other components will come from my LBS. This will make my (yet to be determined name) bike a BOMG (Bicycle of Mixed Geography).

With all this on my mind you can imagine how the banned word jumps out at me as I search for components for my (yet to be determined name) bike. I now mentally catalog every place I see it including this one:

(warning page contains a word(s) some might find offensive)
https://www.sram.com/sram/road/products/omnium-crankset

Please advise.

Bob
Old 01-22-11, 01:02 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bob. Consider this thread an opportunity to liberate yourself from the faux bike culture exemplified by terms like f****. Understand that manufacturers like SRAM seek to exploit this market by promoting their products under this moniker. The fact is that people who buy such products do so to impress others, as they walk their f**** to the local overpriced cafe spot. So, consider my intolerance of such terminology an attempt to bring a mature perspective to FG bikes as actual rideable bicycles rather than toys or style accessories. You are completely free to post and start new threads in the general SS&FG forum, where you can use such terminology with impunity, but please refrain from doing so here.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 01-22-11, 03:20 PM
macnab

Bikes: Litton, Gunnar, Iro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 to KRhea

get over it TT
Old 01-22-11, 10:41 PM
tadley62

Bikes: Serotta road, Ellsworth Truth mtn, Lightspeed tandem, Kona Smoke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=TugaDude;12006252]Just did my first "fixed" ride the other day. I've been riding singlespeed for awhile, and of course when I was young that was all I had. My first ride on my 2008 Madison was awesome. I learned a lot...[QUOTE]
Welcome, although I'm usually only a reader here.
I noticed you also have a '74 Letour. I am in the midst off converting it to a SS/FG townie.
I am far from anything like an expert, but I suggest you go out and ride, as often as you can. Practice a circular pedal motion, and be safe. Riding fixed is as simple as forgetting about gears. Sounds cliche, but that's how it feels to me.
Old 01-23-11, 10:59 PM
proantibicycle
Master of Ceremonies

Bikes: 2005 Lemond Versailles, 2010 Mercier Kilo OS fixed gear, 2008 Redline Monocog Flight, 1985 Peugot 700c conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
You are completely free to post and start new threads in the general SS&FG forum, where you can use such terminology with impunity, but please refrain from doing so here.
You need to just let it slide. Why? It's part of the dialect of cyclists from particular areas of the country. Censorship is an ugly word. Besides, typing the word "fixie" is a lot easier that SS&FG or f*****. To many shift keystrokes required. Just let it go, dude. If you don't, we may start referring to your track bikes as "trackies". (^__^)
Old 01-24-11, 07:20 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
[QUOTE=tadley62;12117523][QUOTE=TugaDude;12006252]Just did my first "fixed" ride the other day. I've been riding singlespeed for awhile, and of course when I was young that was all I had. My first ride on my 2008 Madison was awesome. I learned a lot...
Welcome, although I'm usually only a reader here.
I noticed you also have a '74 Letour. I am in the midst off converting it to a SS/FG townie.
I am far from anything like an expert, but I suggest you go out and ride, as often as you can. Practice a circular pedal motion, and be safe. Riding fixed is as simple as forgetting about gears. Sounds cliche, but that's how it feels to me.
I was going to switch my '74 Letour into a FG/SS bike, but after buying it, cleaning it up, replacing all of the cables, etc. I noticed that it shifts like butter and am having a hard time pulling the trigger to switch it. I still might, we'll see.
Old 01-24-11, 07:27 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by proantibicycle
You need to just let it slide. Why? It's part of the dialect of cyclists from particular areas of the country. Censorship is an ugly word. Besides, typing the word "fixie" is a lot easier that SS&FG or f*****. To many shift keystrokes required. Just let it go, dude. If you don't, we may start referring to your track bikes as "trackies". (^__^)
Personally, I don't care much what people call things if used in context. If you say fixie, I know what you mean, so as far as communication goes it is fine. I don't want to speak for TT, he can speak eloquently for himself, but I think that some people hear "fixie" and find it sort of disparaging. It somehow cheapens fixed gear bikes to call them fixies. Maybe that is part of it.

Now, what does bother me is when people either are too lazy or don't care enough to spell brakes properly. Don't know how many posts, even on this forum where people should know better, where people claim to have cantilever breaks, or sidepull breaks. That does bother me. I also don't like that the word Mixte, which from what I can determine is pronounced "meekst" has not only been mispronounced "mixtee" but is frequently misspelled mixtie. Some will read what I have just said and say I am wound too tight or too picky. So be it. To each his, or her own. I don't have any issues with trying to raise the bar. Too many folks are sneaking under it these days.
Old 01-25-11, 04:58 PM
proantibicycle
Master of Ceremonies

Bikes: 2005 Lemond Versailles, 2010 Mercier Kilo OS fixed gear, 2008 Redline Monocog Flight, 1985 Peugot 700c conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Tejano, I just posted a new article on my blog about this video that caught me eye and kind of reminded me of the f**** question. Check it out. It's a great video. Based in Seattle.

https://proantibicycle.blogspot.com/2...hilospohy.html
Old 01-27-11, 12:31 AM
Asystole

Bikes: Specialized x 2, Cannondale Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How cool is this. Just happened across this forum a couple days ago and it was meant to be. Just turned 49 about 2 weeks ago and after riding road bikes now for almost 30 years I just had my first FG experience today.

About 9 to 10 months ago I purchased a Specialized Langster frameset to build into a FG bike. After many months of visiting my LBS and spending a lot of time poking around Ebay and Craigslist she made her maiden voyage today. What a fantastic way to roll down the road and I love the way this bike feels, I am hooked. Originally I built it with the intention of riding it with my wife since see complains that I am to fast on my regular bike I thought the FG would slow me down a little. Can't wait to ride it again, it just may turn into my favorite steed.
Old 01-27-11, 09:02 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Welcome. Happy to see another cyclist enjoy a different perspective and participate in this forum. Glad to see you are enjoying it.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 01-27-11, 03:48 PM
Chad1376

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Asystole
.. Originally I built it with the intention of riding it with my wife since see complains that I am to fast on my regular bike I thought the FG would slow me down a little....
This is why I've been riding my fixed gear a lot. I'm just getting my 8 year old into road riding (He's got a new Fuji Ace 650c), and of course he's not super fast (yet). Orginally, I had my road bike geared with a super easy 38/17, and I'd spin-out at about his top speed, so we were compatable. I just went up to a 48/17, and now I find myself feeling like I'm riding extremely slow at his pace....Long story short - maybe ride an easy gear with your wife and work on your RPM?
Old 01-27-11, 07:13 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here ya go guys and gals. A 48 year old man named Gunnar Shogren finished this race on a 45x22 fg. I'm doing it this year on 38x34 freewheel. Enjoy! See you there in November! Give the vid about 20 seconds for the regular ad bs.

https://www.wqed.org/tv/its-pittsburgh/watch/ Then go to www.dannychew.com and get all the lowdown on the event if you want to participate.
Old 01-29-11, 04:12 PM
Plymouthfan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another first time poster here as well. I'm 41, live in Philly and have been riding this 2001 Bianchi Pista for about a year now. At this point the only original parts left are the frame, fork, headset, seatpost and wheelset.

Just repainted the frame/fork, added a new set of IRD Defiant cranks! I guess it looks exactly like a million other "retro" single speeds out there, but I love it!

Old 01-29-11, 04:30 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Welcome to the forum. That bike looks really sharp and spot on with the details. A lot of manufacturers are now going the "townie" route with their fixed gear bikes, such as Surly with their 2011 Steamroller.
Attached Images
2011_Steamroller.jpg (46.3 KB, 169 views)

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 01-30-11, 02:41 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Just returned from an 1 1/2 hour ride, temps in low 60's, steady 15 mph north wind. I just built this bike and this is the first chance I've had to put it through its paces. Gearing is 46 x 17, which seems just about perfect. I plan on taking it to the track in a couple of months, where all I have to do is remove the front brake and replace the front QR with a bolted skewer. This bike weighs under 16 lbs and is very stiff and responsive, but still has a smooth ride with its carbon fork, bars and stem. In case you're wondering, the saddle is quite comfortable although a bit too slippery.
Attached Images
IMGP1021.jpg (98.9 KB, 275 views)

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 01-30-11, 03:30 PM
xkillemallx16

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey, what kind of camelback are you using?
Old 01-30-11, 03:44 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by xkillemallx16
hey, what kind of camelback are you using?
That's a Rogue, and it's the smallest of 3 that I have. I also have a medium size Lobo and a large size Mule. I've had them all for a while, so IDK if those models are still made.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 02-01-11, 04:46 AM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
I purchased my FG bike a little under two years ago. When I bought it, I liked it. Then I realized that I'd of fit in more with the young crowd if I'd pulled a beater out of a dumpster or purchased an old bike at a garage sale, and converted it to an FG bike.

And then I realized I just liked my bike. After a while, I discovered that for me, a part of the fun was putting together the accessory package: the lights, the cyclometer, the pump and the water bottle. The bike itself is still mostly stock.

Currently, the bike is geared at 42/14, for about an 80 inch gear. While that's a little high for riding up a hill of any significance, I can crank out a few more rpms on the downside than I could with the stock set-up.

That's me and my bike on a visit to Manhattan (I live in Los Angeles).

Last edited by icyclist; 02-01-11 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-05-11, 10:37 PM
tedi k wardhana
transport, not sport.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all!
Would like to join.
I -not like other veteran track racers- first rode my fixed gear (not 'fixie'!) some 5 months ago.
Old 02-05-11, 11:24 PM
tedi k wardhana
transport, not sport.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't realize there was this thread for 'old' fixed gear riders like me, until a while back!
I bought a sovos quando flip flop hub, and just converted the rear wheel of my 1980 sovyet roadbike.
Old 02-05-11, 11:34 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by tedi k wardhana
I didn't realize there was this thread for 'old' fixed gear riders like me, until a while back!
I bought a sovos quando flip flop hub, and just converted the rear wheel of my 1980 sovyet roadbike.
Welcome to this thread. Do you have any photos that you can share with us? I'd be interested in seeing your conversion.

Originally Posted by Dcv

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.