Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Old 03-31-24, 03:39 PM
bike_tom

Bikes: 2022 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2014 Cannondale Trail SL1, 1983 Fuji Royale II

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 239 Posts
I took the Checkpoint for an Easter morning ride up the Minuteman to Bedford Depot Park. It was still breezy, but not nearly as gusty as the past few days.

A lot of other folks were also inspired to enjoy the great weather. In general there were more people on foot than on bikes. Here's one of the busier spots:

Approaching Lexington Center outbound, I encountered this fellow on a bike that seemed to be propelled by pumping the handlebars back and forth, similar to rowing:

I don't recall ever seeing one of those before. It seemed rather awkward - I wonder what the benefit is.

I paused to stretch at the Lexington Visitor's Center:

At 10:30 the restrooms there were open, as was the Center itself.

It was pretty peaceful out in Bedford:

As is often the case, I had Depot Park to myself:

The restrooms in Bedford are still closed for the season. Maybe with April starting tomorrow we'll see them open soon?

The ride home went quickly: I encountered a pair of riders with a slightly faster pace, which inspired me to match their tempo most of the way back.

A pleasant ride.

Tom
Likes For bike_tom:
Old 04-02-24, 10:18 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,729 Times in 884 Posts
Took the Seven for a late-afternoon ride on the Minuteman to Depot Park on Tuesday, and got a little cold drizzle for my pains. Rain, rain, go away, I said.

It's been hard to be a tree lately.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 04-02-24 at 10:32 PM.
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 04-05-24, 11:07 PM
rholland1951

On Friday, after all that rain, snow, wind, and what-have-you blew out to the Gulf of Maine, I took the LHT and rode East.

The Kurukulla Center's neighbors appeared to be repairing a fence between the two properties. I wonder what the equivalent phrase for "good fences make good neighbors" would sound like in Pali or Tibetan? Might come in handy in this situation. I took the usual devotional photo (bicycle as prayer wheels), taking care that the wind not blow the whole thing over (not without precedent, after all), then got on with an afternoon's riding. Truth was, conditions were somewhat gustier and wetter than I had expected from slavish attention to the weather forecasts. The wind was doing what it could to make trouble with the steering. I had the LHT on this ride because I was aware that in some streets, in some towns, the DPW had been spreading salt like Summer was coming, and, indeed, the treads on the Snoqualmie Pass Extralights became as white as powdered donuts from time to time. I didn't want to expose the fancy modern drive train of the Seven to all those road chemicals, whereas the LHT has been certified HARD TO KILL. Drivers were unusually snarky that afternoon, demonstrating once again that Boston drivers' skills deteriorate in direct proportion to the extent to which they notice WEATHER of any sort; some, I think, figured the day's little earthquake entitled them to BONUS SNARK. I went cranking up the hills and zooming down the hills, the latter a little circumspectly given the delinquent winds and jangled drivers. On average, this was more fun than it sounds. I took no additional photographs, but my legs were happy by the end of the ride and the rubber side stayed down.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 04-06-24 at 04:14 PM.
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 04-07-24, 09:59 PM
rholland1951

Sunday was a bit more of the same in terms of weather, a boreal breeze that moved mid-40s air around whether you wanted any part of it or not. Still, a bright day, and much of the previously-fallen rain was making its way through whichever watershed it found itself in. I had a little time for a short ride Sunday afternoon, and took the Surly Trucker DeLuxe (a.k.a., Monster Trucker, when sporting 559-55 Compass Rat Trap Pass Extralights). I had taken delivery of this bike on Saturday, after having its MKS Lambda EZ Superior pedals swapped for a new set of MKS Gamma EZ Superior. "EZ Superior" denotes an MKS travel bike affordance for breakaway pedals (only when you want them to), one of the several bits of travel bike trickery built into the Trucker DeLuxe (S&S Couplers, cable splitters, etc.) The joke here, of course, is that I'd never broken the bike down and put it in a suitcase; a story goes with that, but it's worth mentioning in passing that it's not desirable to have EZ Superior pedals fall off the crank arms while you pedal (I did that once, then reread the manual). Another joke arises from the fact that the drop from saddle to handlebar is the longest on this bike compared to any bike in my stable. The story that goes with that is that I told Tyler Oulton, as a general principle of the build, "when in doubt, build it for me the way you'd build it for yourself." I forget about that between rides on this bike and the difference between my Rivendelian practice of running handlebars at saddle height and the power-oriented cockpit geometry of this bike catches me by surprise. Here's a photo of the Trucker DeLuxe during Visiting Hours at Mal's yard, commiserating with a somewhat busted up Tesla and an even more busted Honda.

No parts fell off, so I declared victory and rode home.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 04-08-24 at 08:02 AM.
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 04-08-24, 03:11 PM
bike_tom

Bikes: 2022 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2014 Cannondale Trail SL1, 1983 Fuji Royale II

Happy Eclipse day. It wasn't super dramatic in metro Boston, but it did get darker/cooler. I made some pinhole viewers - my wife and I were able to discern the moon taking a varying chunk out of the sun.

Prior to that I got out for a morning ride on the Checkpoint. My planned route was Minuteman to Bedford Depot Park, then Reformatory Branch to Concord. This was my first time taking the Checkpoint on dirt/gravel since I installed the Gravelking SS tires over the winter.

The weather was great as I set out, heading up the MM through Lexington and on to Bedford. At some point I started seeing what, at first glance, appeared to be evenly spaced white rocks along the shoulder. I quickly realized they weren't rocks, they were chunks of snow left over from, I assume, plowing the MM after last week's late season snow. We didn't get enough snow in Arlington for that, but they did further west. In this example they have a rather totem like appearance:

From Bedford I made my way onto the RBT. Initially conditions were good, and the Gravelkings felt great. Here's how it looked for the first mile:

Nice, huh? Well, read on...

Shortly after crossing the cul-de-sac at Lavender Lane, I encountered this:

That's the wettest I have ever seen that section. I rode along the shoulder till I got to a point where there would have been no options other than plunge in or bushwhack. I paused for a moment and debated: should I push on? I could see better conditions up ahead. After considering the likely state of the upcoming regular quagmires in Concord (east of Great Meadows and east of Monument St). and the required post-ride cleanup of bike and rider (no fenders!) I chose to make that my turnaround point.

I made a stop at the Depot on the way back:

As you can see, the bike is not lathered in mud (and neither was I.)

A little bit disappointing, but I am glad I tried and OK with my decision to not go all the way to Concord. I'll give it another shot after a period of dry weather.

Tom
Likes For bike_tom:
Old 04-08-24, 05:11 PM
rholland1951

Originally Posted by bike_tom
Happy Eclipse day. It wasn't super dramatic in metro Boston, but it did get darker/cooler. I made some pinhole viewers - my wife and I were able to discern the moon taking a varying chunk out of the sun.

Prior to that I got out for a morning ride on the Checkpoint. My planned route was Minuteman to Bedford Depot Park, then Reformatory Branch to Concord. This was my first time taking the Checkpoint on dirt/gravel since I installed the Gravelking SS tires over the winter.

The weather was great as I set out, heading up the MM through Lexington and on to Bedford. At some point I started seeing what, at first glance, appeared to be evenly spaced white rocks along the shoulder. I quickly realized they weren't rocks, they were chunks of snow left over from, I assume, plowing the MM after last week's late season snow. We didn't get enough snow in Arlington for that, but they did further west. In this example they have a rather totem like appearance:

From Bedford I made my way onto the RBT. Initially conditions were good, and the Gravelkings felt great. Here's how it looked for the first mile:

Nice, huh? Well, read on...

That's the wettest I have ever seen that section. I rode along the shoulder till I got to a point where there would have been no options other than plunge in or bushwhack. I paused for a moment and debated: should I push on? I could see better conditions up ahead. After considering the likely state of the upcoming regular quagmires in Concord (east of Great Meadows and east of Monument St). and the required post-ride cleanup of bike and rider (no fenders!) I chose to make that my turnaround point.

I made a stop at the Depot on the way back:

As you can see, the bike is not lathered in mud (and neither was I.)

A little bit disappointing, but I am glad I tried and OK with my decision to not go all the way to Concord. I'll give it another shot after a period of dry weather.

Tom
I think you were wise. I walked part of the Concord section of the RBT over the weekend. Not only were selected sections muddy in an unprepossessing way, the Great Meadows NWR was flooded to an extent I've never seen before: the main trails were submerged. We've got MUD SEASON, and no mistake...

rod
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 04-08-24, 06:55 PM
rholland1951

The GT was back from the shop from its Spring tune-up, having done Winter Bike duty in this somewhat questionable Winter. Aside from a new pair of pedals, the studded Nokian W240 559-47 snow & ice tires were swapped for Rene Herse Humptulips Ridge Extralight 559-55 dual purpose knobbies. Enough had changed to call for a short shake-down ride, so I took it out the Mystic Valley Parkway to see what was what with the bike, and what was what with the Mystic Lakes. The bike itself seemed cheerful.

How to camouflage a red bike.

How to camouflage a pair of ducks: his and hers.

A parliament of fowles, in the Cormorant dialect.

Eclipse time rolled around, and I took the approach of photographing it with the phone's camera (Google Pixel 8 Pro). As I thought it might, all that overstimulation produced interesting image-processing artifacts by the time Mr. Google's computational photography got done with it, rendering tiny abstract solar systems in multiple channels. The things that look like nail parings are, of course, the partially illuminated solar disc.

And now for an animation with 50 more...

rod
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 04-10-24, 07:55 AM
EVlove

Bikes: 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy + 1981 Lotus Classique + 1986 Bianchi Sport SX + 2005 Van Dessel Project WR + 2021 Zizzo Liberté

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 479 Times in 219 Posts
At some point I started seeing what, at first glance, appeared to be evenly spaced white rocks along the shoulder. I quickly realized they weren't rocks, they were chunks of snow left over from, I assume, plowing the MM after last week's late season snow. We didn't get enough snow in Arlington for that, but they did further west. In this example they have a rather totem like appearance:

I noticed the same evenly spaced lumps of snow somewhere out here in and around Chelmsford, although I can't remember now where that was. Not along the BFRT, as it doesn't get plowed.

I haven't been riding much lately, and not posting here at all for some time, but I did get some short rides in, mainly to reacquaint myself with the Van Dessel in fixed gear configuration, in preparation for the new season at Northeast Velodrome. Which, I mention in passing, will run May through August, and newbies of all ages and experience levels are always welcome.

We spent Eclipse Day on I-93 and I-89 with tens of thousands of our fellow Metro Bostonians, but it was all worth it for the spectacular celestial show. At St. Johnsbury, VT for us, and we were very impressed with the level of preparation and organization that this small town had put into it.

In bike-related news, we parked near this not very encouraging sight:

But I understand this is to direct bikers to the Lamoille Valley Rail Trail terminus, near that massive white road salt shelter in the background. Something to be explored another time, perhaps.

Yesterday afternoon, I finally got my first ride of the month in. I decided to get a few dinner necessities at Donelan's supermarket in Acton, just so I could toss the bike in the trunk and go up and down the BFRT a little bit, too. As far as Route 225, or only about 7 miles out and back. A short ride, in shorts, and short sleeves, for which it is also finally the season again. No pictures but I can report that a porta-potty has reappeared at the trail kiosk behind Donelan's, opposite from where it used to be in previous years.
Likes For EVlove:
Old 04-10-24, 11:47 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
Originally Posted by EVlove
We spent Eclipse Day on I-93 and I-89 with tens of thousands of our fellow Metro Bostonians, but it was all worth it for the spectacular celestial show. At St. Johnsbury, VT for us, and we were very impressed with the level of preparation and organization that this small town had put into it.
well done!
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 04-10-24, 11:48 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by rholland1951
Eclipse time rolled around, and I took the approach of photographing it with the phone's camera (Google Pixel 8 Pro). As I thought it might, all that overstimulation produced interesting image-processing artifacts by the time Mr. Google's computational photography got done with it, rendering tiny abstract solar systems in multiple channels. The things that look like nail parings are, of course, the partially illuminated solar disc.

And now for an animation with 50 more...
very cool!
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 04-10-24, 11:49 AM
rumrunn6

wow!
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 04-10-24, 10:35 PM
rholland1951

The Rivendell Appaloosa just had its turn for a pedal upgrade, along with a little opportunistic tweaking of the new drive train, so I took it out for a shakedown ride on the Minuteman. It was extremely pleasant to ride, rolling gracefully with its long-wheelbase steel frame and 55mm Fleecer Ridge Extralights. Lots of momentum; once it's up to speed, it's going to keep going.

I stopped by Battle Road Bikes and had a chat with Pete, who had stepped out of the shop to take a break. Pete made the rebuild happen for the Appaloosa. Thanks, Pete! That turned out well!

The Mile 4.0 Cairn Builders are at it again, this time with a miniature triad. Yet another gestalt projection screen from the Neolithic. Those folks keep the Minuteman supplied with totems; one can mythologize at one's leisure..

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 04-11-24 at 08:38 AM.
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 04-13-24, 11:08 PM
rholland1951

Saturday afternoon I took the Rivendell Rambouillet and rode East.

The Rambouillet reminded me just what a rideable bike it is, in the first few minutes. Its role in the evolution of Rivendell has been documented elsewhere, but suffice to say that it represented Grant Petersen's views about what was missing in the road bikes of the day, and (with the Atlantis) was a departure from Rivendell's custom shop business model. It screamed up and down hills, and danced with the wind (SW today) with no loss of control. The 32mm Stampede Pass Extralights were up to the job; it occurred to me that it had been a while since I had ridden 32mm tires, so it was good to renew my acquaintance with them. They went scampering over the broken pavement that often characterizes the streets of Arlington, Medford, Malden, Melrose, and Stoneham carrying this route. And they were sure-footed in the wet pavement which the rain showers of the early afternoon provided. And, of course, the newly-installed MKS Gamma pedals with Monarch Wings only helped with sure-footedness.

Meanwhile, just across the Melrose line, sunny skies and dry pavement prevailed. So it went as the afternoon proceeded.

Climbs and descents as usual, dodgy drivers as usual, but kinda what this ride is for.. And it's a good proving ground for bikes, helps me understand what they can and can't do, whether those are new-to-me bikes, or old friends encountered after long absence.

When I found this bike (in Bikes Not Bombs, where some charitable soul had donated it), I made a few changes, including swapping the down tube shifters for Suntour Power Ratchet bar end shifters. It had been a while since I have had the pleasure of using those, and enjoyed the nearly random access to gear ratios that they gave me, smooth as butter.

After a productive day on the bike, I rode home, pausing to admire the sunset over the Mystic River as I crossed from West Medford to East Arlington. Good ride today.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 04-14-24 at 09:09 AM.
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 04-15-24, 05:47 PM
bike_tom

Got out for a Patriots Day ride to Bedford this morning.

My arrival in Lexington coincided with a patriotic gathering there:

For a change, there were quite a few cyclists at Depot Park:

And the news you've all been waiting for: the bathrooms at Bedford are now open for the season!

The ride back was pleasant and uneventful, except for this garbage truck that decided to block the path at Fletcher Ave Lexington:

I managed to pass by on the far left. If you look to the left of the truck, you can just make out a golf cart that is barely squeezing past the truck. For some reason, there was a number of (gas powered) carts zipping around the Minuteman in Lexington at midday. Here's that same cart about to cross Woburn St:

I was glad the cart turned off the MM there, as it was stinky.

Other than that minor issue, it was a great ride.

Tom
Likes For bike_tom:
Old 04-15-24, 06:39 PM
rholland1951

So, the week began with the Battle of Menotomy, an insurrection with time travelers. Some of the time travelers had bicycles.

After we got that sorted, I was able to take the Rambouillet out for a spin on the Minuteman Monday afternoon. Lots of people were using the Patriots Day vacation the way Nature intended, by getting a little fresh air. I got mine.

A bottle deposit wrangler was working, reminding us that the bicycle is an engine of commerce in some circles. Good to be reminded of that from time to time.

Meanwhile, the Mile 4.0 Cairn Builders are still thinking small, but small allows them more room for their creatures to hobnob and frolic.

Ah, the life of a totem...

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 04-15-24 at 08:30 PM.
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 04-15-24, 06:44 PM
rholland1951

Tom, I think the golf cart people were affiliated with the Tough Ruck race. We've seen that before.

rod
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 04-15-24, 07:29 PM
bike_tom

Originally Posted by rholland1951
Tom, I think the golf cart people were affiliated with the Tough Ruck race. We've seen that before.

rod
Hey Rod. Tough Ruck 2024 was yesterday, April 14th: https://www.toughruck.org/
I saw the golf carts zipping back and forth from the gathering at the Visitor's Center, so I associated them with that.

Tough Ruck does explain the full trash bins and the water stations I saw along the MM today.
They must have had a tough ruck indeed traversing the flooded Reformatory Trail.

Tom
Likes For bike_tom:
Old 04-16-24, 04:30 PM
EVlove

Bikes: 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy + 1981 Lotus Classique + 1986 Bianchi Sport SX + 2005 Van Dessel Project WR + 2021 Zizzo Liberté

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 479 Times in 219 Posts
I was too busy to take advantage of the weather yesterday, and a little grumpy about that, too. But today, assignments dried up around 2pm, and so I took the Bianchi and rode south (with my apologies to Rod).

Rode south on the BFRT further than I had since October, in fact, to the Powder Mill Rd terminus in W. Concord.

I had done the southbound leg at a pretty good clip (track season is little more than two weeks away!) but now gave myself more time for the return. Rolling into the parking lot at NARA Park, an ornamental cherry tree in full bloom was impossible to miss. It occurred to me that my old friend Bianchi-san might want to admire the sakura.

Moments later, two 70-something (if I had to guess) ladies came walking up to the see the blossoms and I suggested I could take their picture with the tree, which they were glad to accept.

The park was vacation-week lively, the beach volleyball season had begun, and the permanent bathrooms were open. You may remember that the boardwalk was being rebuilt over the winter. Well, it is finished, looking splendid, and was being used by no less than five teenagers with fishing rods (when did fishing become trendy? or is this actually a sign of food insecurity?).

And so I walked my bike around the pond once more, rejoined the BFRT, and cranked home, past Heart Pond beach in Chelmsford, which was likewise being enjoyed by a young swimmer (brr!), another girl with a fishing rod who couldn't have been older than 12, three guys setting off in a kayak, and several sunbathers.

29.1 miles, my longest ride since, well, that last time I went on this same route, in October.
Likes For EVlove:
Old 04-17-24, 10:23 PM
rholland1951

Wednesday was cool and breezy, but with plenty of sunshine. Good day for a ride, if you dressed for it.

I took the 1982 Specialized Sequoia out for a dance in the wind. This was really a re-do of yesterday's shakedown cruise, which had resulted in something very like bicycle chain origami, as a result of a naive shift or two on my part. After a little counseling from the Battle Road Bikes guys, I was playing nice with the brifters, and the chain was playing nice with me.

I got into an incremental shifting groove with the brifters, and tooled along at something like maximum efficiency. Cf. the random-access shifts with the Sun Tour friction shifters. Glad I don't have to choose one or the other for all time. Today I was having fun being efficient. The 35mm Bon Jon Pass Extralights make me smile whenever I ride this bike. And they have a contact patch big enough to help with the wind.

The Bike Stop caught fire last May. Ever since, some of us have been waiting for a sign of what's to come, now that repairs seem complete.

Recently, we were given a sign. It said "For Rent". Uh-oh.

Rode home taking a little extra care with the Winslow Street wind tunnel. The bike managed just fine.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 04-17-24 at 10:46 PM.