Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Interesting finds around the web

Old 05-20-16, 04:14 PM
  #876  
Godsight
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Qc,Canada
Posts: 159

Bikes: Felt TK FRD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another new track bike from Argon 18 for the Dutch national pursuit team.

New Argon Electron Pro debuts sharp design under the Danish national track team - Bikerumor

This one seems to be made to ride only with mavic comete rio and a tt bar.
Godsight is offline  
Old 05-20-16, 04:40 PM
  #877  
carleton
Elitist
Thread Starter
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15,956
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1382 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Godsight View Post
Another new track bike from Argon 18 for the Dutch national pursuit team.

New Argon Electron Pro debuts sharp design under the Danish national track team - Bikerumor

This one seems to be made to ride only with mavic comete rio and a tt bar.
Nice!



I"m glad to see that it's adjustable.

Recall Bicycle Marketing 101 rule #1 : Mention that your new bike is lighter, stiffer, faster, and more aero than anything else.



They claim the end result is a bike that is faster and stiffer than either party had ever worked with on the track.
"Stiff" is mentioned 7 times in the Argon article. Felt mentions "fast" 8 times and "aero" 11 times

I'm in the wrong business.
carleton is offline  
Old 05-20-16, 07:20 PM
  #878  
Godsight
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Qc,Canada
Posts: 159

Bikes: Felt TK FRD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also those chain tensionner on the Argon 18 seems finicky to use. Would rather have a dropouts like the dolan DF3/4
Godsight is offline  
Old 05-20-16, 09:07 PM
  #879  
MarkWW
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 485

Bikes: A little of each

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://hedcycling.com/track/track-wheels/volo

I was wondering how the new hed wheel dealt with the left hand drive of the new felt. Looks like it uses a White Industries splined cog.

EDIT: I also find it interesting that the valve hole appears to end up on the left side of the hed discs on the new felt bike. You'd think that would be less aero than if it were on the opposite side.

Last edited by MarkWW; 05-20-16 at 09:33 PM.
MarkWW is offline  
Old 05-20-16, 11:21 PM
  #880  
WhatsYoCadence
Annoying Member
 
WhatsYoCadence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MarkWW View Post
While having fun on their site, I found out their track clincher Jets can only handle 100 psi. What the hell is that?

this way cheaper chinese company makes U shaped carbon clinchers that can handle 160...

Last edited by WhatsYoCadence; 05-20-16 at 11:25 PM.
WhatsYoCadence is offline  
Old 05-21-16, 08:43 AM
  #881  
queerpunk
aka mattio
 
queerpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,583

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by MarkWW View Post
https://hedcycling.com/track/track-wheels/volo

I was wondering how the new hed wheel dealt with the left hand drive of the new felt. Looks like it uses a White Industries splined cog.

EDIT: I also find it interesting that the valve hole appears to end up on the left side of the hed discs on the new felt bike. You'd think that would be less aero than if it were on the opposite side.
I know a dude who worked on those wheels - we chatted at a party last night. WI splined cogs, lenticular discs, 28mm rim bed for some special tires made for this project.
queerpunk is offline  
Old 05-21-16, 08:44 AM
  #882  
queerpunk
aka mattio
 
queerpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,583

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
Nice!



I"m glad to see that it's adjustable.

Recall Bicycle Marketing 101 rule #1 : Mention that your new bike is lighter, stiffer, faster, and more aero than anything else.





"Stiff" is mentioned 7 times in the Argon article. Felt mentions "fast" 8 times and "aero" 11 times

I'm in the wrong business.
Argon made the Danish team some Cervelos to replace their Cervelos.
queerpunk is offline  
Old 05-21-16, 09:46 AM
  #883  
MarkWW
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 485

Bikes: A little of each

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by queerpunk View Post
I know a dude who worked on those wheels - we chatted at a party last night. WI splined cogs, lenticular discs, 28mm rim bed for some special tires made for this project.
The WI spline seems to be pretty common now, but I feel like if you're doing all this work for a new wheel, why not just come up with your own spline that'll let you create a 12t or even 11t cog.
MarkWW is offline  
Old 05-21-16, 10:21 AM
  #884  
Hrothgar42
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's more friction when bending the chain around a small cog, so I don't see the need for a custom spine to support a 12t or 11t. I expect we'll see big cogs and big chainrings, while maintaining the gear ratio the rider needs. (Wiggins rode a 58-14 during the hour.)

Friction Facts: free speed from proper shifting - BikeRadar USA
Friction Facts’ earlier study on rear derailleur pulley size suggested that larger-diameter chainrings and cogs would produce less friction than smaller ones, and this latest exercise confirms that hypothesis. Despite the fact that bigger chainrings and cogs create higher chain speed (which slightly increases friction), Friction Facts says the lower chain tension and reduced individual chain link rotation more than offset lower frictional losses overall.
Hrothgar42 is offline  
Old 05-22-16, 05:25 PM
  #885  
brawlo
Senior Member
 
brawlo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,201
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by WhatsYoCadence View Post
this way cheaper chinese company makes U shaped carbon clinchers that can handle 160...
If you have a look on the RH column, the recommended max is only 120PSI. If you want to run deep dish carbon on track, why bother with clinchers? Just go straight for tubs
brawlo is offline  
Old 05-28-16, 10:44 PM
  #886  
gycho77
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Delaware, USA
Posts: 607

Bikes: Serotta steel track bike, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Corima 5 spoke wheel
Attached Images
gycho77 is offline  
Old 05-29-16, 08:55 AM
  #887  
WhatsYoCadence
Annoying Member
 
WhatsYoCadence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brawlo View Post
If you have a look on the RH column, the recommended max is only 120PSI. If you want to run deep dish carbon on track, why bother with clinchers? Just go straight for tubs
90% of my racing is at Kissena, where the track is in pretty rough shape. Not to mention I don't have a car- so I have to commute by bike a little each way off the train.

At some point I'll move somewhere with a fancy track, but till then I'll be on deep clinchers.
WhatsYoCadence is offline  
Old 05-29-16, 01:32 PM
  #888  
carleton
Elitist
Thread Starter
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15,956
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1382 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by WhatsYoCadence View Post
90% of my racing is at Kissena, where the track is in pretty rough shape. Not to mention I don't have a car- so I have to commute by bike a little each way off the train.

At some point I'll move somewhere with a fancy track, but till then I'll be on deep clinchers.
This problem has already been solved:



Use your street wheels to get you to the track as you carry your race wheels.
carleton is offline  
Old 05-29-16, 05:10 PM
  #889  
WhatsYoCadence
Annoying Member
 
WhatsYoCadence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
This problem has already been solved:



Use your street wheels to get you to the track as you carry your race wheels.
Haha! No way am I bring race wheels, bike, AND all my other **** on the train.
WhatsYoCadence is offline  
Old 05-29-16, 07:11 PM
  #890  
carleton
Elitist
Thread Starter
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15,956
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1382 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by WhatsYoCadence View Post
Haha! No way am I bring race wheels, bike, AND all my other **** on the train.
How much stuff do you need? The rest should fit in the backpack.
carleton is offline  
Old 05-29-16, 09:07 PM
  #891  
Jared.
Uninformed Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Union County, NJ
Posts: 1,117

Bikes: Dolan Pre Cursa, Cannondale R400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
How much stuff do you need? The rest should fit in the backpack.
Wednesday, just before rush hour, on any train in the tri-state area...no thanks.
Jared. is offline  
Old 05-30-16, 11:27 AM
  #892  
WhatsYoCadence
Annoying Member
 
WhatsYoCadence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jared. View Post
Wednesday, just before rush hour, on any train in the tri-state area...no thanks.
bingo.
WhatsYoCadence is offline  
Old 05-30-16, 03:53 PM
  #893  
700wheel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 638
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
This problem has already been solved:



Use your street wheels to get you to the track as you carry your race wheels.
For info, decades ago track and TT racers in the UK used to carry their tubular tired wheels to races using wheel carriers. This site shows the wheel carriers https://janheine.wordpress.com/2015/...or-cyclocross/. You could make the carriers yourself using flat aluminum bar.
700wheel is offline  
Old 06-01-16, 06:37 PM
  #894  
Godsight
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Qc,Canada
Posts: 159

Bikes: Felt TK FRD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
British Cycling teases new Cervelo track bike ahead of Rio Olympics | road.cc

teaser of the new cervelo track bike. Probably exclusive to GB team for this year and public release for 2017. Look to atleast be usable with standard drop bars. Curious if the sprint squad will actually switch from their old superbike to the cervelo. My guess for the name is the T5.
Godsight is offline  
Old 06-01-16, 08:23 PM
  #895  
gycho77
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Delaware, USA
Posts: 607

Bikes: Serotta steel track bike, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Godsight View Post
British Cycling teases new Cervelo track bike ahead of Rio Olympics | road.cc

teaser of the new cervelo track bike. Probably exclusive to GB team for this year and public release for 2017. Look to atleast be usable with standard drop bars. Curious if the sprint squad will actually switch from their old superbike to the cervelo. My guess for the name is the T5.
WTH
It's not red!!!!
gycho77 is offline  
Old 06-02-16, 07:38 PM
  #896  
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deschutes
Posts: 4,584
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
This problem has already been solved:

<<photo of ENVE backpack>>
I have that bag, and even being a queen-bag-lady at the track, I still managed to get it to work pretty well.
Rollers under the arm, everything else in/on the backpack, roll slowly through the side streets & the park.
Hida Yanra is offline  
Old 06-02-16, 07:42 PM
  #897  
gycho77
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Delaware, USA
Posts: 607

Bikes: Serotta steel track bike, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Cervelo T5!!
Cervélo T5GB: British Cycling's new track bike for Rio 2016 - BikeRadar
gycho77 is offline  
Old 06-03-16, 12:05 AM
  #898  
Koogar
Senior Member
 
Koogar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Godsight View Post
British Cycling teases new Cervelo track bike ahead of Rio Olympics | road.cc

teaser of the new cervelo track bike. Probably exclusive to GB team for this year and public release for 2017. Look to atleast be usable with standard drop bars. Curious if the sprint squad will actually switch from their old superbike to the cervelo. My guess for the name is the T5.
It will be interesting to see if Cervelo moves away from road TT geometry with this frame.....
Koogar is offline  
Old 06-03-16, 12:38 AM
  #899  
carleton
Elitist
Thread Starter
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15,956
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1382 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Koogar View Post
It will be interesting to see if Cervelo moves away from road TT geometry with this frame.....
I'm willing to bet a dollar that they did not.

I'm also willing to bet another dollar that the GB sprinters do not use this frame.





[le sigh]
carleton is offline  
Old 06-03-16, 06:37 AM
  #900  
SprintzNKiloz
Senior Member
 
SprintzNKiloz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 97

Bikes: LOOK 675, Dolan DF4, Casati Gold Line, Litespeed Classic, Felt TR2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Someone on FB posted a picture of Phillip Hindes new Cervelo from his Instagram account so it appears to be a yes.
SprintzNKiloz is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.