Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Interesting finds around the web

Old 01-19-18, 11:00 AM
  #1576  
700wheel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 638
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by pierrej View Post
Was hard to get a picture of properly (impossible) but how about a dual power aero carbon crankset chainring combo, Dura ace bolts of course
Two adjacent chain connectors? Perhaps it is to accommodate different gear ratios. I have that problem but use different chains.
700wheel is offline  
Old 01-19-18, 01:47 PM
  #1577  
carleton
Elitist
Thread Starter
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15,956
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1382 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by pierrej View Post
Was hard to get a picture of properly (impossible) but how about a dual power aero carbon crankset chainring combo, Dura ace bolts of course
I believe this is the company that made the cranks for the Team GB bikes. I posted about them a few months ago.

Originally Posted by 700wheel View Post
Two adjacent chain connectors? Perhaps it is to accommodate different gear ratios. I have that problem but use different chains.
Yes. It's a common way to make a "short chain" and "long chain" out of a single chain.
carleton is offline  
Old 01-20-18, 12:30 PM
  #1578  
Poppit
Senior Member
 
Poppit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Nottingham, UK
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
mmm, Charlie did a 4’12” to win the gold in Minsk, 4th fastest time ever!

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/tr...for-Team-KGF-0
Poppit is offline  
Old 01-20-18, 12:47 PM
  #1579  
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past
 
Voodoo76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Schertz TX
Posts: 3,195

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, CAAD12, Felt DA, Dolan

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
I believe this is the company that made the cranks for the Team GB bikes. I posted about them a few months ago.



Yes. It's a common way to make a "short chain" and "long chain" out of a single chain.
Had not seen that either, a neat trick & with a waxed chain would be a nice clean/quick change.
Voodoo76 is offline  
Old 01-22-18, 02:03 PM
  #1580  
carleton
Elitist
Thread Starter
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15,956
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1382 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 73 Posts
Xiaofei Wang (CHN) uses double straps in bunch races.

This photo is from the World Cup Santiago stage Omnium Scratch:



I found a blurry photo of her wearing them in the Omnium Scratch race this weekend as well: EDIT: Apparently BF doesn't like twitter links. Try this: twitter: /uci_track/status/954669678118436864

I'm still waiting for more enduros to catch on to this idea

Wang finished 7th in the Omnium for this event and 5th in standings across all World Cup events.

Last edited by carleton; 01-22-18 at 02:12 PM.
carleton is offline  
Old 01-22-18, 05:08 PM
  #1581  
taras0000
Lapped 3x
 
taras0000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 43.2330941,-79.8022037,17
Posts: 1,723
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
I wonder if this is because she is from China. Their first successes in track cycling (or even cycling in general) came from their female sprint squad. In other words, this worked for the lady sprinters so it must be good, therefore trickled down/across to an enduro. Track cycling being a relatively young sport amongst the Chinese, there would be very few ties to traditional methods, especially the way the government was throwing money at the federation with the mandate of "whatever works".
taras0000 is offline  
Old 01-22-18, 06:14 PM
  #1582  
carleton
Elitist
Thread Starter
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15,956
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1382 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by taras0000 View Post
I wonder if this is because she is from China. Their first successes in track cycling (or even cycling in general) came from their female sprint squad. In other words, this worked for the lady sprinters so it must be good, therefore trickled down/across to an enduro. Track cycling being a relatively young sport amongst the Chinese, there would be very few ties to traditional methods, especially the way the government was throwing money at the federation with the mandate of "whatever works".
Yeah, maybe so. Maybe simply a fresh and empirical approach? A woman of her stature should have no problem staying in a set of pedals with the tension properly adjusted. My guess is that it's for another reason.

Straps aren't just about preventing unclipping.

I don't think that every enduro should use straps. But, I'm fairly certain that some will benefit from it.

It's interresting that the 2 world class enduros that I've noticed doing this were both women. I would think that the stronger men would do this first.

Last edited by carleton; 01-22-18 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Rephrased.
carleton is offline  
Old 01-22-18, 06:33 PM
  #1583  
Baby Puke
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Kanazawa
Posts: 1,700

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Speaking of straps, I notice Theo Bos is one of the last top pros to still use the Japanese-type straps. Curious what pedals he's using with it, anybody got a good photo? I've been unable to find anything.
Baby Puke is offline  
Old 01-22-18, 09:52 PM
  #1584  
carleton
Elitist
Thread Starter
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15,956
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1382 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke View Post
Speaking of straps, I notice Theo Bos is one of the last top pros to still use the Japanese-type straps. Curious what pedals he's using with it, anybody got a good photo? I've been unable to find anything.
So is his teammate Buschli, who was using the orange nylon straps that the Dutch team uses then seems to have switched back to NJS in the past 6 months or so. Van Den Berg uses nylon BLS straps. I think he's sponsored by BLS.



2 of 3 are on NJS straps and all 3 seem to be on Shimano pedals. Looks like Dura Ace. I think they all run red zero float cleats.



Last edited by carleton; 01-22-18 at 09:59 PM.
carleton is offline  
Old 01-22-18, 10:03 PM
  #1585  
JimiMimni
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
Yeah, maybe so. Simply a fresh and empirical approach. A woman of her stature should have no problem staying in a set of pedals with the tension properly adjusted. My guess is that it's for another reason.

Straps aren't just about preventing unclipping.

I don't think that every enduro should use straps. But, I'm fairly certain that some will benefit from it.

It's interresting that the 2 world class enduros that I've noticed doing this were both women. I would think that the stronger men would do this first.
Do you have some evidence suggesting this is an empirical decision? Because that is a BIG assumption. The more I hear about elite athletes, and professional riders, the less inclined I am to think they have ANY reason or logic to the things they do, or equipment they use. Remember the link to the Zipp testing?

I don't mean the tone of that to be super confrontational, but I am skeptical at best.

I remember someone had some data suggesting massive increases in watts "just from using straps" but as I recall, wasn't that for standing starts? Do we have any pursuit data with straps vs not straps? Or any data from flying efforts (which would, hypothetically, negate the increased watts in a start) with straps vs not?

Personally, I would never be able to get the strap tension right. If they were loose enough to be comfortable for 20+ minutes, they wouldn't do any good, and conversely if they were tight enough to do anything, they wouldn't be comfortable to ride!
JimiMimni is offline  
Old 01-22-18, 10:19 PM
  #1586  
carleton
Elitist
Thread Starter
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15,956
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1382 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 73 Posts
Denis Dmitriev (RUS) seems to go back and forth between NJS and nylon:


Sandie Clair (FRA) uses doubles:


Förstemann (GER) uses doubles:


There seems to be a 60/40 or 70/30 nylon/NJS split among sprinters. The NJS straps are a really, really mature product. The clasp is an engineering marvel.

Also, I have weighed them all:

1 BLS strap: 32g
1 single Toshi NJS strap: 31g
1 double Toshi NJS strap: 67g
carleton is offline  
Old 01-22-18, 10:27 PM
  #1587  
taras0000
Lapped 3x
 
taras0000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 43.2330941,-79.8022037,17
Posts: 1,723
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
From the looks of Bos' pedals, currently it seems like 3 hole Dura-Ace. He was running SPD-R on his track bikes up until December '15.
taras0000 is offline  
Old 01-22-18, 10:44 PM
  #1588  
carleton
Elitist
Thread Starter
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15,956
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1382 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by JimiMimni View Post
Do you have some evidence suggesting this is an empirical decision? Because that is a BIG assumption. The more I hear about elite athletes, and professional riders, the less inclined I am to think they have ANY reason or logic to the things they do, or equipment they use. Remember the link to the Zipp testing?

I don't mean the tone of that to be super confrontational, but I am skeptical at best.

I remember someone had some data suggesting massive increases in watts "just from using straps" but as I recall, wasn't that for standing starts? Do we have any pursuit data with straps vs not straps? Or any data from flying efforts (which would, hypothetically, negate the increased watts in a start) with straps vs not?

Personally, I would never be able to get the strap tension right. If they were loose enough to be comfortable for 20+ minutes, they wouldn't do any good, and conversely if they were tight enough to do anything, they wouldn't be comfortable to ride!
Sorry, no I don't. I shouldn't have stated it that way. I should have written, "maybe" with a question mark. You are right, it could be superstition.

This would be very easy to test.

My only evidence is anecdotal and what I see in photos. And the few people I can convince to try it.

I convinced Oscar Clark to try using double my double straps (attached to Speedplays at the time) at 2009 collegiate track nationals for his IP. I included his kilo times as well to offer more data as to how he was riding.

Oscar Clark (of BMC/Hincapie)
https://legacy.usacycling.org/results/?compid=221975

2009 (Trexertown): 4:51.7 pursuit (using straps) / 1:13 kilo
2010 (Major Taylor): 4:52.7 pursuit / 1:12 kilo
2011 (Major Taylor): 5:01.4 pursuit / 1:13 kilo

In 2009 He placed 3rd to two other future pros, David Williams (now of Astellas) and Joey Roskoff (now of BMC). He said he really liked them ...but I don't think he ever bought a pair of his own

I know I'm grasping at straws here. But, I truly think something is there.

Straps can be frustrating at times. One reason many people prefer laceup shoes with straps is because normal cycling shoes with 2 velcro straps (or a BOA disc) on the lower part of the foot can guide the strap into an uncomfortable spot between the two velcro straps causing pinching. This is worse with double straps.
carleton is offline  
Old 01-22-18, 10:45 PM
  #1589  
carleton
Elitist
Thread Starter
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15,956
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1382 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by taras0000 View Post
From the looks of Bos' pedals, currently it seems like 3 hole Dura-Ace. He was running SPD-R on his track bikes up until December '15.
Do you mean Förstemann? I'm pretty sure that Förstemann is running SPD-R.

I think that Bos is running SPD-SL.
carleton is offline  
Old 01-22-18, 10:58 PM
  #1590  
carleton
Elitist
Thread Starter
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15,956
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1382 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 73 Posts
Bos may have switched over to SPD-SL.

His BT and road bike:



His Avanti. SPD-R didn't come in black carbon, right?


Last edited by carleton; 01-22-18 at 11:02 PM.
carleton is offline  
Old 01-22-18, 11:46 PM
  #1591  
taras0000
Lapped 3x
 
taras0000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 43.2330941,-79.8022037,17
Posts: 1,723
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
Do you mean Förstemann? I'm pretty sure that Förstemann is running SPD-R.

I think that Bos is running SPD-SL.
Forsty IS on the SPD-Rs. Bos was running the Rs until he joined/started BEAT. When he first came back on the track a couple of years ago, his Cervelo sported SPD-R. There are a few photos of him racing Roy Van Den Berg and you can clearly see the low profile of the older SPD-R underneath his shoes.


Last edited by taras0000; 01-23-18 at 12:06 AM.
taras0000 is offline  
Old 01-23-18, 12:28 AM
  #1592  
Baby Puke
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Kanazawa
Posts: 1,700

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Who, you guys have amazing photo search skills, thanks!
Baby Puke is offline  
Old 01-23-18, 01:43 AM
  #1593  
taras0000
Lapped 3x
 
taras0000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 43.2330941,-79.8022037,17
Posts: 1,723
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Also, if you're into shoe porn, then you can look up Liguino Verducci. He/They make Theo Bos' shoes. Not as low volume as the Sierra custom Jobs that Francois Pervis wears. More like the old Rocket7 model of offering 3 levels of customization.
taras0000 is offline  
Old 01-26-18, 09:26 AM
  #1594  
Poppit
Senior Member
 
Poppit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Nottingham, UK
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
British champs IP qualifying
Attached Images
Poppit is offline  
Old 01-26-18, 10:50 AM
  #1595  
zizou
Senior Member
 
zizou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Only 1 of the top 5 qualification times coming from a funded athlete on the Olympic development programme...will be a bit of a scandal if none of them get selected for a ride at the world champs!

Last edited by zizou; 01-26-18 at 10:54 AM.
zizou is offline  
Old 01-26-18, 11:41 AM
  #1596  
carleton
Elitist
Thread Starter
 
carleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 15,956
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1382 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by zizou View Post
Only 1 of the top 5 qualification times coming from a funded athlete on the Olympic development programme...will be a bit of a scandal if none of them get selected for a ride at the world champs!
Very true.

But, it could be argued that the funded athletes are "training-through" the National Championships planning an annual peak at the World Championships one month from now.

If they are on a periodic training schedule, then the block they are in now would be really full and their fatigue levels pretty high and the tapers would start in a couple of weeks.

In Olympic years, Team GB was known (or rumored) to train-through even the World Championships with eyes on the Olympic games.
carleton is offline  
Old 01-26-18, 12:55 PM
  #1597  
Poppit
Senior Member
 
Poppit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Nottingham, UK
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Dan’s trying out some custom made bars by Carbon Wasp - Custom Made Carbon Fibre Bikes

I’ll try and get a photo of them this weekend
Poppit is offline  
Old 01-26-18, 01:06 PM
  #1598  
Poppit
Senior Member
 
Poppit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Nottingham, UK
Posts: 271
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Charlie’s position
Attached Images
Poppit is offline  
Old 01-26-18, 01:38 PM
  #1599  
Morelock
Senior Member
 
Morelock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
looks slippery

an aside... do they at all measure the saddle / bar height relation? I've seen a lot of guys lately that can't possibly have the tip of their extensions below the saddle.
(although this specific picture is a little misleading as it's not quite flat ground, just in general)
Morelock is offline  
Old 01-26-18, 01:40 PM
  #1600  
zizou
Senior Member
 
zizou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
Very true.

But, it could be argued that the funded athletes are "training-through" the National Championships planning an annual peak at the World Championships one month from now.

If they are on a periodic training schedule, then the block they are in now would be really full and their fatigue levels pretty high and the tapers would start in a couple of weeks.

In Olympic years, Team GB was known (or rumored) to train-through even the World Championships with eyes on the Olympic games.
Good point...although I think Tanfield and Bighams times are such that they would stand up to what the rest are capable of on their best day.

Special mention to Katie Archibald - she is doing the pursuit and bunch races as you would expect but also doing the match sprint and keirin for fun. Competitive in them too - the woman just loves to race, great to see!
zizou is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.