Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

NYC E-Bike Riders - Watch Out!

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

NYC E-Bike Riders - Watch Out!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-18, 11:03 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
As someone who works in midtown manhattan every day... I suggest that proximity is very important to developing perspective on what is going on with e-bikes around NYC.
1. Of course, it's not the particular aspects of any type of e-bike (throttle, no throttle, etc.). Irrelevant.
2. The number of e-bikes used by delivery people is undergoing exponential growth this year, you can see it when you walk around, which we do here A LOT.
3. As the deployment increases, the visible number of "jerkish" riders goes up accordingly, becoming more visible and creating more incidents.
4. These riders don't think of themselves as cyclists, they're working-Joes delivering something for a demanding customer, a demanding boss, through a crowded concrete jungle of chaos.
5. These are not bicycles, they're ultralight motorcycles that want to be treated on par with bikes. But that's not how they're being ridden around here. They are workhorses that you can park on the sidewalk, easily skirt around traffic and go pretty fast while carrying five different bags of delivery food to 800 Third Ave at 48th street, 12 blocks away. Great vehicle, but not a bicycle.
6. New York set a law about this, like it or not (get out and vote, dammit), and NYC tends to vary enforcement of any law according to needs of safety and crime control.
7. NYC has been very lax on e-bike enforcement (intentionally, I believe) until lately, as the "jerkish" have been creating too many problems. Apparently, the Deli Owner, who dispatches these riders, isn't too worked up about it.
8. What generally happens around here is that something gets problematic, enforcement responds to tone it down, equilibrium returns.
9. And they have to stay off these dense, heavily-populated sidewalks. That's just being stupid.
Old 07-17-18, 12:10 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Bikes: Yuba Sweet Curry eBike, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Unless otherwise posted, it is acceptable to share the sidewalk with pedestrian so long as we don't forget they ALWAYS have the right-of-way.
Those types of antics exacerbate the issue and give motorist the impression that cyclist are doing something wrong by using the road. Road cycling takes a bit of intrepidity; so if you don't think you can handle it, better to stay off the roads altogether.
The issue is not whether I can handle it …. The issue is my SAFETY … !!! I don't have a car. Gave up driving many years ago. So, my bicycle is my main transportation.
Old 07-17-18, 12:58 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Bikes: Yuba Sweet Curry eBike, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
If you feel comfortable riding on socal's roads, do so. There's way too much automobile-inspired carnage for me (witness all the "white bikes"). I ride the sidewalks where necessary too and have for 40+ years.
Exactly ! I am very careful and respectful of pedestrians, as I'm sure you are too. I do not ride carelessly, recklessly. I stop for stop lights, and stop signs (except when there is nobody approaching the stop sign, then I do the "Idaho Stop".