Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Specialized Sequoia, Yoshi Konno?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Specialized Sequoia, Yoshi Konno?

Old 12-27-20, 02:39 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Originally Posted by twolve
Thanks for the advice, I'm of the same mind and will be on the lookout for a proper fitting post. It worries me when I imagine how long this post has been in the bike.But I am bikerich right now, and can let this sit for a bit. Addison has wanted to ride it since I bought it, so I'll head there when we both have some time. I need him to do some work on my Expedition as well. I've missed going to his shop through the pandemic.
Great find, huge fan of the bikes from Big S in these early days, Neenan, Merz, DiNucci, Bayless and many others are the main reason Sinyard was able to build the juggernaut that Big S came to be.

Going to add to the fray here.

Make sure the seat lug is proper, it may have been clamped down to far if it has had a too small SP when the correct bigger one didn't fit for that, crud, corrosion, burr or tight fit, etc many folks are too to figure it out.

So carefully spread the clamping area if needed, clean the ST, file any burrs, scotch brite can work, auto brake wheel cylinder hone, flapper sanding wheel, round or half round file, carefully.

My bench mark is a snug correct size SP when ST is clean and correct, goes in with a light coat of grease but seems too big without it.

Last edited by merziac; 12-27-20 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-27-20, 03:03 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 933 Posts
He was neutered last week, and I am not sure who has disliked the cone and lack of activity more, us or the dog! Probably the dog, rough life for a herding dog.
He looks like a very good boy!!!

When I got my Trek 720, our dog was afraid of it! I took it into the house for pictures and he was so cautious around it, got to sniffing it and decided it was best left alone.

I love the concept of the Sequoia- a "sport" bike made with the highest standards of tubing, construction and build! One of these days Imma commission a custom to that sort of ideal.

Best!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 12-27-20, 06:37 PM
twolve

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, 2012 Goodrich Randoneuse, 2016 A-Train, 2022 Wilde Dream Engine, 2022 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Great find, huge fan of the bikes from Big S in these early days, Neenan, Merz, DiNucci, Bayless and many others are the main reason Sinyard was able to build the juggernaut that Big S came to be.

Going to add to the fray here.

Make sure the seat lug is proper, it may have been clamped down to far if it has had a too small SP when the correct bigger one didn't fit for that, crud, corrosion, burr or tight fit, etc many folks are too to figure it out.

So carefully spread the clamping area if needed, clean the ST, file any burrs, scotch brite can work, auto brake wheel cylinder hone, flapper sanding wheel, round or half round file, carefully.

My bench mark is a snug correct size SP when ST is clean and correct, goes in with a light coat of grease but seems too big without it.
Thanks for the tips, I will follow that! When I picked up my custom A-Train, the seatpost and clamp were the one thing Alex (the builder) gave me adequate fear about being careful with.
Old 12-27-20, 06:40 PM
twolve

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, 2012 Goodrich Randoneuse, 2016 A-Train, 2022 Wilde Dream Engine, 2022 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
He looks like a very good boy!!!

When I got my Trek 720, our dog was afraid of it! I took it into the house for pictures and he was so cautious around it, got to sniffing it and decided it was best left alone.

I love the concept of the Sequoia- a "sport" bike made with the highest standards of tubing, construction and build! One of these days Imma commission a custom to that sort of ideal.

Best!
Ha! He's not to scared of bikes, thankfully, unless they're moving which can be bothersome. He does have to be fun police if he sees me on the bike. But he does have a strange fascination with pedals, including licking my clipless pedals on my other bikes, and I've fairly confident he is going to try eating the leather straps on the Sequoia same day soon if I'm not careful.
Likes For twolve:
Old 12-27-20, 07:01 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Thanks for the tips, I will follow that! When I picked up my custom A-Train, the seatpost and clamp were the one thing Alex (the builder) gave me adequate fear about being careful with.
Sounds like you already have a feel for it, once you have that, you should be good to go and there should be no fear, just understanding and the right touch for knowing when its a no go and sussing that out with out adding to the problem.
Old 02-16-21, 07:36 PM
PBridge1300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny for me to be cruising this thread and run into a photo that seems ... wait a minute, why is that so familiar? Oh, it's my bike.

I wish I'd caught the 60 that sold last fall.

~pb
Old 02-16-21, 09:28 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 286 Posts
Hey PB, youkoso!

What's with the sudden Sequoia bug? Did you sell yours and now wish you didn't? Or are you looking for a companion for one you still have?

PB2
Old 02-17-21, 01:52 PM
PBridge1300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Phil CHP are a nice touch, if a tad early.

~pb
Old 02-22-21, 01:36 PM
PBridge1300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pcb
Hey PB, youkoso!

What's with the sudden Sequoia bug? Did you sell yours and now wish you didn't? Or are you looking for a companion for one you still have?

PB2
Well, first off, I haven't bought or built a bike since my Della Santa about 3 years ago, so there's that. Second, my 58 Konno Sequoia (59.5 c-t) is a skosh small. I should sit down and shut up, because the 60 will be a bit big, and the 58 is really just fine.

It was entertaining to be reading this thread and to bump into a photo of my bike. "Wait a minute, why does that bike and that location look so familiar?

~pb
Old 12-30-21, 07:59 AM
narwhale100

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yoshi?

Originally Posted by clubman
Nope. Tim Neenan design, as it says. AFAIK, Yoshi was only involved with a small number of early Allez's.

I'm just repeating what others have said. Perhaps it is very early.

I just stumbled on this thread and first off want to say thanks for all the information. I've attached a few photos of my '81 Sequoia. Purchased at Detroit Ave Cycles Lakewood Oh with proceeds from my summer job at an Akron tire plant. Bike has been in daily use since, including fully laden for 6mo across Europe in summer/fall of 85, plus shorter tours in Canada, Aust, NZ. In the four places I've lived - Oxford Oh, Palo Alto, Sydney, London - I've been fortunate enough never to commute by car so gosh knows how many miles

Back to the bike: I recall it was built up by the shop with Shimano 600 groupset. Everything's been replaced at least once apart from the orig brakes and shifters. It has "60" stamped on the BB. The bright orange "Tange" decals fell off at some stage- I guess that was the tubing material. Paint has held up well.

Good to know the history. A bit of a sleeper; amongst all the carbon and ali bikes chained up around town, an old steel frame becomes eminently un-nickable.
Likes For narwhale100:
Old 12-30-21, 08:10 AM
narwhale100

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well I would add the photos but there is a reqt to have posted 10 times prior. Another day...
Old 12-30-21, 04:03 PM
merziac

Mods may not allow U to be sorry to do that

You're almost there but may need to wait until tomorrow to satisfy the 5 posts X 2 days for 10 requirement.

And yes we certainly do want to see pics.
Old 01-02-22, 08:24 AM
narwhale100

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here ya go, hopefully this will work

Blackburn rack bought with bike

Shimano 600 brakes and shifters, Cinelli stem and bars

Campy Veloce cranks, Campy seatpost

Veloce mechs, Vetta TT saddle
Old 01-02-22, 08:34 AM
narwhale100

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Success! acknowledging this is a "Classic" thread but also knowing there are never too many pictures of bikes, I've added my weekend ride...