Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ran my first 100m sprint today on the old Schwinn

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ran my first 100m sprint today on the old Schwinn

Old 01-14-22, 08:09 AM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Bikes: 1983 Ross Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
Very nice. Just FYI, from a standing start, 10 seconds would put you into pretty elite company. Here are some data from a standing start for a "national-level" master's pursuiter (note the IP is 4000 meters, so I'm just cutting this off after the initial acceleration. As you can see, the rider passed 100 meters just under 10 seconds. At 14 seconds, the rider had gone 162 meters).

Great chart and research! Did you say that's a 4k race? 4000 meters? I know in distance running races we dont take off and accelerate as fast as we possibly can because we have to pace ourselves. So his 10 seconds at 100meters must be much less than he is capable of were he not pacing himself. I can tell you from my limited experience that after going 100% all out for 100m from a standing start I would have to slow way down to recover and continue racing for another 3900 meters. I think 10 seconds might be doable for someone much less than elite like me. For now I just want to break into the 13s.
Old 01-14-22, 08:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Weight of the bike matters most on acceleration and climbing, so this seems a rather peculiar choice of bike for this standing start test. Then again, I'm not sure what you are expecting to find out here.
Old 01-14-22, 10:53 AM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Weight of the bike matters most on acceleration and climbing, so this seems a rather peculiar choice of bike for this standing start test. Then again, I'm not sure what you are expecting to find out here.
Why does the weight of the bike matter most and not the total weight of the rider and bike? I see this online quite a bit, people counting grams and shaving grams off of their bike weight when they can just skip the desert a couple times a week and get the same effect? What am I missing? I do agree that lighter rotating mass is better for acceleration but I never understood the significance of bike weight when the variation is only a matter of a couple pounds and the rider can easily change their weight by the same amount as buying a 10,000 dollar fork made of space age material to save a few grams of weight and that for a long distance race. Never made sense to me but I am open minded and would like to hear the rationale.
Old 01-14-22, 11:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by BikePower
Why does the weight of the bike matter most and not the total weight of the rider and bike? I see this online quite a bit, people counting grams and shaving grams off of their bike weight when they can just skip the desert a couple times a week and get the same effect? What am I missing? I do agree that lighter rotating mass is better for acceleration but I never understood the significance of bike weight when the variation is only a matter of a couple pounds and the rider can easily change their weight by the same amount as buying a 10,000 dollar fork made of space age material to save a few grams of weight and that for a long distance race. Never made sense to me but I am open minded and would like to hear the rationale.

Well, unless you want to cut an arm off or something, you aren't going to be able to vary your weight much in a reasonably short time frame. But you're talking about an event where a couple of pounds could make a substantial difference because it's pretty much completely acceleration, and you said you're using a 38 pound bike. Couple of grams at $10,000, my butt, it would cost you a few hundred bucks to get a bike 10 pounds lighter than that.

BTW, I see where you misinterpreted me, I meant that the weight of the bike is more important in this context than it is in other contexts, not that the bike's weight was a more important factor than your weight. The same could also be said of your weight--it would matter most in acceleration and climbing as compared to other types of riding.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-14-22, 11:11 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I think this question should be thrown out to the group--is Kool Lemon the fastest color? Typically, red is considered faster, but that particular shade of lemon could be considered a PED, right?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-14-22, 11:24 AM
BikePower
Time Traveler

I think this question should be thrown out to the group--is Kool Lemon the fastest color? Typically, red is considered faster, but that particular shade of lemon could be considered a PED, right?
Well once we get some races going we can compile the data and see what colors are fastest. Maybe we can get a research grant from the government.
Likes For BikePower:
Old 01-14-22, 06:57 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Well, unless you want to cut an arm off or something, you aren't going to be able to vary your weight much in a reasonably short time frame. But you're talking about an event where a couple of pounds could make a substantial difference because it's pretty much completely acceleration, and you said you're using a 38 pound bike. Couple of grams at $10,000, my butt, it would cost you a few hundred bucks to get a bike 10 pounds lighter than that.

BTW, I see where you misinterpreted me, I meant that the weight of the bike is more important in this context than it is in other contexts, not that the bike's weight was a more important factor than your weight. The same could also be said of your weight--it would matter most in acceleration and climbing as compared to other types of riding.
After our winter run club meet on Tuesday night I met a guy and bought a used name brand track bike for $250. Rideable, holds air, good deal. I have spare old TT parts for it and an old saddle that fits my bum. Zero dollars there. I have some used 23mm GP5000 tires to use, zero dollars there. It has 88 gear inches. It's actually pretty darn light for what it is.

I don't think $250 is a high barrier of entry to go fast for 100 meters, or 4km in my case if I fancy a formal track race on it. As I didn't buy it for 100m. But rather for 4000m.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 01-14-22, 08:16 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
After our winter run club meet on Tuesday night I met a guy and bought a used name brand track bike for $250. Rideable, holds air, good deal. I have spare old TT parts for it and an old saddle that fits my bum. Zero dollars there. I have some used 23mm GP5000 tires to use, zero dollars there. It has 88 gear inches. It's actually pretty darn light for what it is.

I don't think $250 is a high barrier of entry to go fast for 100 meters, or 4km in my case if I fancy a formal track race on it. As I didn't buy it for 100m. But rather for 4000m.

​​​​​​There's really nothing more basic than a track bike, basically no extra components to weigh it down or run up costs.
Old 01-14-22, 09:07 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

​​​​​​There's really nothing more basic than a track bike, basically no extra components to weigh it down or run up costs.
Im not sure what the right ratio will be for 100m straight track sprinting or if a single speed will be best. It may be but I feel that a 2 speed or 3 would be ideal. I have virtually nothing to back this up with at this point besides feel. Oh and by the way, it was hyperbole about the $10,000 fork. Certainly no disadvantage to a light bike, Im still not sure of the importance however I do agree with livedarklions that weight would be much more important the shorter the race. Im looking forward to tomorrow Im going to make a few runs and try to beat 14 seconds with a steeper gear like a 2.29 or something similar.
Old 01-17-22, 04:15 AM
son_of_clyde

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
I tried it tonight (100m from standing start) - 9.xx s @ 31.5 mph (measured on Avocet computer with 1 second resolution), Anchor keirin bike with 45/16 (76 gear inches) gearing. Bike weighs about 18.5 lbs. I weigh around 180 lbs.
I normally use this bike for hill sprints, so I want to mess around with some higher gearing and try it again (also figure out a better timing method).

In case anyone is familiar with the area, this is the route I used:

Likes For son_of_clyde:
Old 01-17-22, 05:38 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 1,122 Times in 482 Posts
Originally Posted by son_of_clyde
I tried it tonight (100m from standing start) - 9.xx s @ 31.5 mph (measured on Avocet computer with 1 second resolution), Anchor keirin bike with 45/16 (76 gear inches) gearing. Bike weighs about 18.5 lbs. I weigh around 180 lbs.
I normally use this bike for hill sprints, so I want to mess around with some higher gearing and try it again (also figure out a better timing method).

Very nice: that's a good time. I'm very familiar with that route. There's a slight downhill slope in that direction.

I've used Virginia and/or Francisco between Acton and Chestnut for CdA/Crr testing. Actually, during this pandemic, I've tried using the BART parking lot, too.
Old 01-17-22, 01:52 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Very nice: that's a good time. I'm very familiar with that route. There's a slight downhill slope in that direction.

I've used Virginia and/or Francisco between Acton and Chestnut for CdA/Crr testing. Actually, during this pandemic, I've tried using the BART parking lot, too.
Still even with a slight downhill grade that sounds outstanding!!!
Old 01-17-22, 01:53 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Outstanding Son!!!! sub 10s!! Ive got a lot of work to do!
Likes For BikePower:
Old 01-17-22, 02:27 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I'm a little confused--100 meters in 9 seconds is just under 25 mph average, is the 31.5 mph your peak speed?

Either way, well done! You're approximately as fast as Usain Bolt on the same distance.
Old 01-17-22, 05:51 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

I'm a little confused--100 meters in 9 seconds is just under 25 mph average, is the 31.5 mph your peak speed?

Either way, well done! You're approximately as fast as Usain Bolt on the same distance.
it makes sense if you include that he was going zero mph when he started. It only stands to reason that if he averaged 25mph that his top speed would have to much higher to make up for starting from stop. I would have thought his top speed would have been much higher if his average speed is 25mph. Must have king kong legs to launch and get up to speed that quickly.
Likes For BikePower:
Old 01-17-22, 06:48 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
Do you have a bmx bike with small wheels or a brompton? Those accelerate really well
Old 01-18-22, 02:39 AM
son_of_clyde

I'll have to check out Virginia and Francisco. I was looking for a fairly flat route that offered good visibility where I didn't have to worry about blowing through a blind intersection or anything. Yeah, there is definitely a slight slope. I figure it gave me about 90 Watts/%grade.
Old 01-18-22, 02:50 AM
son_of_clyde

it makes sense if you include that he was going zero mph when he started. It only stands to reason that if he averaged 25mph that his top speed would have to much higher to make up for starting from stop. I would have thought his top speed would have been much higher if his average speed is 25mph. Must have king kong legs to launch and get up to speed that quickly.
With the gear I used (45/16), I felt like I was able to get up to speed pretty fast. It seems fairly consistent with the pursuit data posted by RChung. ETA: It was probably closer to 10 seconds. My timer only has 1 second resolution, and I saw a "9" at the finish. Yes, 31.5 mph was my peak speed.

Last edited by son_of_clyde; 01-18-22 at 02:53 AM.
Old 01-18-22, 04:56 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,710 Times in 2,910 Posts
I think max hr is 220 - age x 80% if I remember correctly. 168 - 34 = 134. bpm.
This commonly quoted formula is not at all useful. For me that would be a max of 220-54 x 80% = 132 bpm. That's not even my warm-up HR LOL! I can ride literally all day at around 150 bpm, threshold 180 bpm and my max is 190 bpm. Resting around 60 bpm I'm not an elite athlete, just a normal reasonably fit middle-aged guy. A 10 sec sprint isn't long enough to get anywhere near HR max anyway. I sometimes do sprint intervals and the highest my heart rate gets to is around 170 bpm after 8 sets. It also lags behind the sprint by a good few seconds.

In short, unless you have a heart condition, I wouldn't worry about it. Just remember to breathe and don't stop abruptly at the end! Try to ease off gradually as your HR peaks and then starts to recover. Also make sure you are well warmed up before starting.

Edit: Also worth noting that HR max varies enormously from person to person, even at the same fitness level. Some guys I ride with have a max of 160 or less with the same power as me and a much lower resting HR. I just happen to be a farily high revving unit!

Last edited by PeteHski; 01-18-22 at 05:00 AM.
Old 01-18-22, 09:47 AM
BikePower
Time Traveler

I'll have to check out Virginia and Francisco. I was looking for a fairly flat route that offered good visibility where I didn't have to worry about blowing through a blind intersection or anything. Yeah, there is definitely a slight slope. I figure it gave me about 90 Watts/%grade.
You could always run it the opposite direction and then average the two. It would be interesting to see how much difference that slight grade makes. Good job on the race. On my next run I will try that ratio. We had storms last few days. Going to get out there again soon.
Old 01-18-22, 09:51 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
BikePower Whatever goals and motivations that get you out and moving are good, no matter how unconventional.

I would issue one warning from personal experience. I used to push the limits of my strength on my bike, until I learned at 49 years old, that I was strong enough to overpower my body's frame...i mean my actual corporeal body. While straining and sprinting away from a stoplight, I slipped a disc in my neck that kept me off the bike for a year.

Now I'm more interested in average speed, stamina and cardio.

Also since then I have lowered the lowest gears on all my bikes as my knees began protesting after years of mashing up Colorado hills.

But again, keep doing what gets you excited...your body will let you know when you need to try something different.

go, Go, GO!
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 01-18-22, 12:52 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts
Your gearing seems pretty low OP. I'd try a 39/15 or 16.