Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Looking for ideas on repurposing weight bench into Bike repair stand and/or trainer

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Looking for ideas on repurposing weight bench into Bike repair stand and/or trainer

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-22, 10:33 AM
CharlesDennison

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

As the title says, I'm looking for ideas on how to repurposing/upcycle an old bench press stand into a bike repair stand and/or trainer. I have multiple weight benches but I refuse to throw anything out and I'm always looking to repurpose. This is a cheap'o weight bench from the late 80s that has the leg and arm curl option.
Likes For CharlesDennison:
Old 01-14-22, 11:08 AM
coupster

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
They say you can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but I certainly wouldn't try. Your weight bench has everything you don't need in either of your goals. It's too low and long to be a good work stand and it has nothing you'd need to add upright stationary support or resistance to make it a trainer. You'd have better results turning it into a couch potato lounger for binging Nickelodeon
Old 01-14-22, 11:18 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,820 Times in 1,540 Posts
I am an build it myself, improvise/recycle/creative guy. I wasted way more money and time trying to make a DIY workstand than buying a good one cost, just buy a good one

IMHO a bike workstand is as important as a good set of hex wrenches. it is the foundation for repairs

as for trainers, look for used, lots of people try and give up

Old 01-14-22, 12:50 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
It's possible someone might want your old weight bench. Try giving it away. It's just some random object. No more a repair stand or trainer in disguise than your lawnmower.

Last edited by shelbyfv; 01-14-22 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-14-22, 04:47 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Yeah, that can be done. I remember seeing a repair stand made from a weight bench many years ago when I lived in Spain, in a little shop a guy ran out of his garage. I can’t recall exactly how it was set up, but just remember thinking how ingenious, simple, and effective it looked.

Dan
Old 01-14-22, 10:11 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Do you weld?

John
Old 01-14-22, 10:38 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
You can get a cheapie bike repair stand at Aldi and/or Lidl for thirty bucks, even less on clearance.
Likes For Rage:
Old 01-14-22, 10:48 PM
MyRedTrek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlesDennison
As the title says, I'm looking for ideas on how to repurposing/upcycle an old bench press stand into a bike repair stand and/or trainer. I have multiple weight benches but I refuse to throw anything out and I'm always looking to repurpose. This is a cheap'o weight bench from the late 80s that has the leg and arm curl option.
I like to tinker too but I think you'll invest a lot of time and effort to end up with something that's not going to work as well as a purpose-built repair stand. Assuming the bench is in solid condition why not donate it to a thrift store or give it away via the local Craigslist or Pennysaver?

Both Park Tool and Bikehand make heads that you could probably fit onto one of the uprights but I wonder how stable it's going to end up being and I think it would be more clumsy and awkward to use and take up more space than something that's engineered to be a bike repair stand.

I have a Bikehand stand that in my opinion is really well designed - quick and easy to set up and take down, lightweight - I hang it from a rubberized J-hook turned sideways attached to a stud over my tool pegboard.

You think you're going to come up with something as good as this? The weight of the bike hangs over the legs to enhance the stability. You can turn the pedals while on the stand - for cleaning the chain for example, or running through the gears to adjust the shifting mechanism. The head folds down - I hang mine from the rubberized J-hook around the round ring around the back of the head in its folded position, with the legs folded up it takes up very little space. Nice tool tray right there. Someone clearly put some thought into designing this. I actually think it's designed better than the Park stands I've seen.

Btw - it telescopes higher than shown in both these pics.

Last edited by MyRedTrek; 01-15-22 at 06:45 PM.
Likes For MyRedTrek:
Old 01-15-22, 12:50 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlesDennison
Can you get to ten posts so you can post a photo or two? If it's a basic bench like the one I have...like many are...I have an idea for a work stand. I wouldn't use it as a trainer, though
Old 01-15-22, 07:53 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
I am a hopeless mechanical engineer/tinkerer so understand and while I admit I have a Park Tool and a Bontrager repair stand I have a saw horse converted to a European type stand for when I really need to get down on a stuck BB or similar. Have you checked out these:https://www.instructables.com/Homemade-Bike-Stands/
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 01-15-22, 08:57 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
Exercise equipment is in short supply right now. Sell the bench, purchase a work stand. Mission accomplished.
Likes For Outrider1:
Old 01-15-22, 03:55 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked 1,464 Times in 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by Outrider1
Exercise equipment is in short supply right now. Sell the bench, purchase a work stand. Mission accomplished.
This x 1,000.
Old 01-15-22, 05:28 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Last winter I picked up a similar weight bench for 25 bucks including 50 pounds in weights and a barbell. The cheapo stuff ain't worth much because it is cheap right from the start.
I am a tinkerer and enjoy repurposing into useful items. Post a pic of the bench so we can see what you have to work with.