Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Auto pause - yes or no?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Auto pause - yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-22, 05:42 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4391 Post(s)
Liked 4,833 Times in 2,988 Posts
I never realised it was "fake" to use auto-pause, lol.

If I ride my local loop I'm more interested in the moving averages, not how long I had to wait at junctions etc for traffic. So that's definitely auto-pause on.

For big Sportive/Fondo events I may or may not use auto-pause, depending on my aims for the ride. If I'm riding with friends who like to stop for breaks then I will generally use auto-pause. If I'm riding solo and aiming for an overall PB then I will ride without auto-pause so I know my overall average. Not that I stop much in that kind of situation. Had a total of 7 mins stop time on a 9 hr event last summer and most of that was because I had to wait for them to change a water barrel at the final re-fill stop. I lost a good few minutes there!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 01-13-22, 06:30 AM
Rodrigo Kenobi

Bikes: Trek Domane AL 5 Disc 2022

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I never realised it was "fake" to use auto-pause, lol.

If I ride my local loop I'm more interested in the moving averages, not how long I had to wait at junctions etc for traffic. So that's definitely auto-pause on.
Same, I've also just learned that this is a thing. For sure auto-pause on for me, makes sense for the kind of non-competitive riding I do.
Old 01-13-22, 01:59 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by bahula03
And everyone else is laughing at you for divining the One Truth™ on something that's entirely subjective and personal preference. Preaching the gospel has always been tough sledding, though.

Kinda funny- Garmin manuals describe auto pause as "This feature is helpful if your ride includes stop lights or other places where you need to slow down or stop." Almost as if people are using this optional feature exactly as intended Maybe what we really need is a governing body to make sure that all data for recreational rides is recorded in a uniform manner, as decided by a self-selected group of the purest, most pious cyclists. Hard to say.
We should probably get those purists (and Garmin) to exclude any "drafting time" as well. Wouldn't want to artificially bump up an average speed that a cyclist didn't truly earn themselves.
Likes For OBoile:
Old 01-13-22, 02:11 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
We should probably get those purists (and Garmin) to exclude any "drafting time" as well. Wouldn't want to artificially bump up an average speed that a cyclist didn't truly earn themselves.
You realize there are other metrics people care about beyond average speed that are affected by auto-pause, don't you?
Old 01-13-22, 02:26 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
You realize there are other metrics people care about beyond average speed that are affected by auto-pause, don't you?
Don't worry, if/when a "real cyclist" makes a huge deal about one of those other metrics I'll mock them too.
Likes For OBoile:
Old 01-15-22, 06:03 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
auto pause yes.

why would i be interested in anything other than moving speed/power/whatever? I want to know how long I spent at a stoplight??
Old 01-15-22, 09:31 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
I want to know how long I spent at a stoplight??
The Garmin has elapsed time and moving time. The difference is the time you weren't moving
Old 01-15-22, 12:38 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
Garmin really needs to add 10 minutes to the clock every time you wave at another cyclist! 😡
Old 01-15-22, 12:39 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
I care a lot, like that 80s band Faith No More.