Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

garmin 1030+ or the 830 or the wahoo or the karoo2?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

garmin 1030+ or the 830 or the wahoo or the karoo2?

Old 01-09-22, 07:30 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
Does the Karoo have a web platform like Garmin Connect that has all the ride data and stats? Or is something like Strava required?
Old 01-09-22, 08:05 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by WorldIRC
Does the Karoo have a web platform like Garmin Connect that has all the ride data and stats? Or is something like Strava required?
Yes, it's called Dashboard. Its where your completed ride data gets sent, similar to Garmin Connect, then onward to Strava or RWGPS or others Has much less breakdown of stats and ride data, performance info., HR, etc.... they assume most folks wanting that use Strava so send it there. It's also where you can create new routes and import routes developed elsewhere.
Old 01-09-22, 08:55 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Yes, it's called Dashboard. Its where your completed ride data gets sent, similar to Garmin Connect, then onward to Strava or RWGPS or others Has much less breakdown of stats and ride data, performance info., HR, etc.... they assume most folks wanting that use Strava so send it there. It's also where you can create new routes and import routes developed elsewhere.
How would you compare the ride data on Dashboard compared to Garmin Connect?
Old 01-09-22, 01:30 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,560 Times in 2,090 Posts
The Dashboard is very minimal. My data syncs direct to Strava or I download the .fit file and import I
n Garmin Connect.

Old 01-09-22, 02:36 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
The Dashboard is very minimal. My data syncs direct to Strava or I download the .fit file and import I
n Garmin Connect.
This

It pretty much is only a portal to other fitness trackers. I can't even find ride data such as avg. speed. But I don't care as I don't use it, I use RWGPS.. I bever used Connect either, I occasionally learn that it can do a feature I had never discovered, I just used it to send data onward.
Old 01-09-22, 06:55 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
I only have it power on when it is done charging. but when I stop my ride where it does not get a gps signal it will start back up if its not hooked to a speed sensor. it retains whatever speed it had when it lost its signal. Now that it has gotten glitchy it does it a lot more. See how long it takes to ge the Karoo from china.
​​​​​​Really weird because it sounds like it might be programmed to do that for when you ride through a tunnel ... but mine just says it doesn't know how far or fast I'm going when I ride into a tunnel.
Old 01-09-22, 06:57 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 553 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
​​​​​​Really weird because it sounds like it might be programmed to do that for when you ride through a tunnel ... but mine just says it doesn't know how far or fast I'm going when I ride into a tunnel.
all of my gamins have done this they all would jsut start up again when I am down in the basement of my shop and end the ride. it depends on how fast cam going when I lose the satellites. if its slower then 6mph then it wont do it.
Old 01-09-22, 07:12 PM
fooferdoggie 

all of my gamins have done this they all would just start up again when I am down in the basement of my shop and end the ride. it depends on how fast cam going when I lose the satellites. if its slower then 6mph then it wont do it.
Old 01-09-22, 08:29 PM
fooferdoggie 

is there phone software for the Karoo? I sure cant find anything for my iPhone. it was easy to setup online and get my connections done. might as well do it till I get the unit.
Old 01-14-22, 06:11 PM
Steve B.

is there phone software for the Karoo? I sure cant find anything for my iPhone. it was easy to setup online and get my connections done. might as well do it till I get the unit.
Only for Android. iPhone notifications (texts, calls) get picked up by the Karoo without a smartphone app.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 01-14-22, 06:17 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Only for Android. iPhone notifications (texts, calls) get picked up by the Karoo without a smartphone app.
thats what I finally figured outs unusual. seems fixed lost my delivery. Now lets see if the claim works. we were home and have video and they never even drove by.
Old 01-16-22, 07:58 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

I ordered the Karoo 2 to compare to my Garmin. Hopefully the more smartphone like interactivity will make it a little easier to operate.
Old 01-16-22, 01:09 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by WorldIRC
I ordered the Karoo 2 to compare to my Garmin. Hopefully the more smartphone like interactivity will make it a little easier to operate.
Fair warning, if you are long term Garmin user, you may find the switch confusing at first as the setup is a little different. Stick with it and all starts to make perfect sense. Also, I had some trouble with getting sensors found at first, mainly because my first ride was in a parking lot full of other riders and the K2 latches on to sensors pretty fast. It can be confusing trying to eliminate a few HRMs, some other Di2s, and a couple extra power meters.

Now, I'm running the thing on three bikes and the unit finds the right sensors every time. Sometimes, it looks like it's not connecting but a few pedal strokes and everything pops right up. My Garmin always seemed to struggle from day to day finding the right sensors. The K2 never seems to have that problem.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 01-16-22, 01:20 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
When you buy a new bike computer, no matter who makes it, you can make your life easier by pairing your sensors to it in a spot where they're the only ones around. 🙂 Once you pair them out knows which ones to use forever after.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 01-16-22, 03:19 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

When you buy a new bike computer, no matter who makes it, you can make your life easier by pairing your sensors to it in a spot where they're the only ones around. 🙂 Once you pair them out knows which ones to use forever after.
Will be paired in my house so no worries there
Likes For WorldIRC:
Old 01-16-22, 05:05 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Definitely. In my case, I was so excited to use my new computer that I didn't think about it until it started pinging every sensor in the county.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 01-18-22, 09:09 PM
fooferdoggie 

got it today and man what a difference it is like the difference between a iPhone and a flip phone it auto updates as soon as it gets wifi so easy to connect it to your phone and account. was really easy to connect my sensors and get the date screen setup. but was disappointed it did not have a compass choice for the data screen. Plus it does not seem to turn on and off my garmin radar. it takes longer to boot up and more steps to start a ride. I fact it wont start a ride automatically like a garmin will. is there a way to pause a ride and then put it to sleep while you go into a store and such?
the grade updating is far faster then garmin to read a 20% grade it would take almost 3 blocks to read it but I got one I go on in one block at 17% by the time I got to the top. the overall screen size is about the same as the 1030
Old 01-19-22, 07:58 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

It has an auto-pause feature in the settings. On mine, there is a little icon next to the ride time in the upper left corner. Tapping that turns the auto-pause off and on. I can't remember if I had to set up auto-pause first.

Old 01-19-22, 08:38 AM
fooferdoggie 

It has an auto-pause feature in the settings. On mine, there is a little icon next to the ride time in the upper left corner. Tapping that turns the auto-pause off and on. I can't remember if I had to set up auto-pause first.
yes it pauses when I stop but with the garmin I hit the stop button then the power and it would sleep the nI started again I hither power then the stop button anti would just keep going til lI ended the ride.
Old 01-19-22, 08:39 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

yes it pauses when I stop but with the garmin I hit the stop button then the power and it would sleep the nI started again I hither power then the stop button anti would just keep going til lI ended the ride.
You got me there. I've never done that with a Garmin, either. My K2 does turn the screen off after no movement. I come out of the coffee shop and just hit a button to get going again.

Old 01-19-22, 08:52 AM
fooferdoggie 

You got me there. I've never done that with a Garmin, either. My K2 does turn the screen off after no movement. I come out of the coffee shop and just hit a button to get going again.
I commute a lot so taking the gamin in the store is a must.
Old 01-19-22, 09:32 AM
Steve B.

got it today and man what a difference it is like the difference between a iPhone and a flip phone it auto updates as soon as it gets wifi so easy to connect it to your phone and account. was really easy to connect my sensors and get the date screen setup. but was disappointed it did not have a compass choice for the data screen. Plus it does not seem to turn on and off my garmin radar. it takes longer to boot up and more steps to start a ride. I fact it wont start a ride automatically like a garmin will. is there a way to pause a ride and then put it to sleep while you go into a store and such?
the grade updating is far faster then garmin to read a 20% grade it would take almost 3 blocks to read it but I got one I go on in one block at 17% by the time I got to the top. the overall screen size is about the same as the 1030
Pausing a track that is in progress is a press of either the lower right on-screen button, or the lower right hard button. Press again to start. You can also set Auto-Pause to a 0 speed or when stopped. That will pause the recording of the ride.

There's also an easy to use Help section. On Dashboard (the HH PC web application), press the 3 dots lower left, press help. There's a good search function using key words.

Screen turnoff is in Control Center, swipe down.
Old 01-19-22, 09:46 AM
fooferdoggie 

the reason you needed to turn off or put the garmin to sleep is to turn off the lights and radar thats connected. the Karoo does not seem to turn off the radar or on.
Old 01-24-22, 05:15 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Got my K2. No problem getting everything paired up!
Old 01-30-22, 08:15 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Ended up returning the K2. Maybe once it’s matured more I’ll reconsider but for now I’m happy with my Garmin.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.