Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Media bias against cyclist in reporting (Shawn Bradley)

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Media bias against cyclist in reporting (Shawn Bradley)

Old 03-24-21, 11:14 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Speaking of bias, what if NEITHER of them swerved? Your obvious bias is showing.

In A&S, when in doubt, assume "details" that will blame the victim.

-mr. bill
King bias has spoken
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 03-27-21, 07:06 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Who needs facts about cause(s) of collisions when xperts have the all purpose answer at hand for the cause of every collision? "Cell phones!" Done and Done.
OTOH Im quite sure that a good percentage of "accident" are caused by cell phones these days. Cell phones should shut down if moving faster than 10 mph!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-27-21, 07:22 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Who needs facts about cause(s) of collisions when xperts have the all purpose answer at hand for the cause of every collision? "Cell phones!" Done and Done.
OTOH Im quite sure that a good percentage of "accident" are caused by cell phones these days. Cell phones should shut down if moving faster than 10 mph!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-27-21, 09:11 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
There are very few truely few accidents. Most collisions are the result of inattention to driving.
Source? None, as usual.
Old 03-27-21, 09:16 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot
Bradley has to be a one off. He was 7'6'' and a guy that big is hard not to see and harder not to miss.
I haven’t found any details. Do you know that he didn’t do something like come off the sidewalk between parked cars in front of the striking vehicle?
Old 03-28-21, 06:35 AM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 35 Posts
I don't see any problem. Everyone knows bicycles belong on sidewalks. There is no reason for an adult to be clogging traffic by riding on any street in the US

Clearly, the public has a right to know when people create dangerous situations by riding bicycles out in the street. Journalists have a responsibility to warn the public of these weirdos creating traffic hazards and posing risks to motorist's peace of mind.

I feel very lucky that I didn't have to pay for the car door I dented and passenger window I shattered with my hip and shoulder when a motorist steered his Toyota right into my path while riding on a bight, sunny afternoon. Luckily I got off with only $47,000 in medical bills.

The police report "proves" exactly what happened..... If you ride a bicycle than take the time to get out of the way of cars from any direction.
Old 03-28-21, 07:47 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium
I don't see any problem. Everyone knows bicycles belong on sidewalks. There is no reason for an adult to be clogging traffic by riding on any street in the US

Clearly, the public has a right to know when people create dangerous situations by riding bicycles out in the street. Journalists have a responsibility to warn the public of these weirdos creating traffic hazards and posing risks to motorist's peace of mind.

I feel very lucky that I didn't have to pay for the car door I dented and passenger window I shattered with my hip and shoulder when a motorist steered his Toyota right into my path while riding on a bight, sunny afternoon. Luckily I got off with only $47,000 in medical bills.

The police report "proves" exactly what happened..... If you ride a bicycle than take the time to get out of the way of cars from any direction.
... I'm living through a 25K+ med bill now caused by a swipe but riding the streets are a must because the sidewalks are FORBIDDEN BY LAW in most places...OTOH why should one obey a dangerous law
Old 03-29-21, 07:02 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I haven’t found any details. Do you know that he didn’t do something like come off the sidewalk between parked cars in front of the striking vehicle?
Do you know there is NO SIDEWALK? BTW, how do you ride between a SINGLE PARKED CAR?

-mr. bill
Old 03-30-21, 09:43 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
I certainly wouldn't be surprised if "cellphonitis" plays a roll in some rear end collisions to bicyclists. I have read much speculation and fear mongering posted on BF discussion lists in the last dozen years about the significance of "cellphonitis," and it being assumed that the possible presence of a cellphone in a motor vehicle is likely the cause of most if not every motorized vehicle-bicyclist collision. Almost without exception, the BF accusations have usually been with an absence of any evidence presented.

BTW, I have not read on BF or anywhere else any evidence or data of just how significantly the number of bicyclist rear end collisions actually has increased, and if so over what period of time or just how universal/widespread is the alleged increase (rural highways vs urban streets), night vs day, collision numbers vs number of cyclists present on the streets and highways, etc.

Again, and for the umpteenth time... the reason you never get all the facts on cellphonitis or even all the facts regarding the cause of collisions with cyclists is that often there is an inadequate investigation; facts are not collected and data, such as cell phone use at the time require a warrant, which is not pursued. The bottom line is that statistics regarding cyclists in traffic collisions is woefully under-reported. Cyclists themselves may eschew contact with authorities by simply picking up the pieces and leaving the scene.

Yet, in spite of the lack of "certified data," there is plenty of anecdotal evidence... anyone standing on a busy street corner for any length of time can clearly observe the popular use of the cell phone and see that this use may conflict with traffic decisions from time to time.
Likes For genec:
Old 03-30-21, 10:08 AM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
You're the guy who can figure out everything with no details. Why don't you tell us?
The "no details" include the detail that there is no sidewalk
The "no details" include the detail that there was ONE parked car.

So tell me, why do you all speculate when you don't know what you are taking about?

-mr. bill
Old 03-30-21, 12:33 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
YOU CANNOT BLAME EITHER IF THERE ARE NO DETAILS, c'mon man!
There are details, but keep claiming there are no details.

The swerve crowd, the sidewalk crowd, the parked cars [plural] crowd, and the cell phone crowd are all the same crowd.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 03-30-21 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-30-21, 04:07 PM
mr_bill

Of course it could never happen to you. You'd never be riding an 80 cm frame.

BTW, anything in the details about cell phones? Swerving? Sidewalks? Multiple parked cars? Anything?

(I sure hope Shawn Bradley isn't reading this "stuff" at bikeforums at his hospital.)

-mr. bill
Old 03-30-21, 08:40 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Again, and for the umpteenth time... the reason you never get all the facts on cellphonitis or even all the facts regarding the cause of collisions with cyclists is that often there is an inadequate investigation; facts are not collected...
Yada, yada. The same can be said for the "facts" about UFO sightings or the facts as professed by the purveyors of various religions.Constant repetition of belief in unverified "facts"/fabrications and anecdotes doesn't make it so but that won't stop the true believers/fear-mongers from prattling on about their "facts."
Old 03-31-21, 07:33 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Yada, yada. The same can be said for the "facts" about UFO sightings or the facts as professed by the purveyors of various religions.Constant repetition of belief in unverified "facts"/fabrications and anecdotes doesn't make it so but that won't stop the true believers/fear-mongers from prattling on about their "facts."
Not an apples to apples comparison, at all.
  • In the case of cyclists and traffic situations... there we are fighting a general public bias ("roads are for cars, bicycles are toys") and the subsequent lack of official statistics due to that bias.
  • In the case of UFOs, there are active agencies trying to maintain secrecy regarding any information on such sightings. (there is a declassified report due out in a few months.... so that should be interesting, but of course we will only hear/read what those agencies are willing to release... there will continue to be "official denials.")
  • And in the case of religion, it is a matter of indoctrinated fears and beliefs by authority figures that clouds the facts, and promotes blind belief.
The end results ARE about the same... a lack of real data about any of the above... but the reasons for the lack of data are vastly different.
Old 03-31-21, 08:23 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by genec
The end results ARE about the same... a lack of real data about any of the above... but the reasons for the lack of data are vastly different.
And in all cases of the above, biased proselytizers and/or fearmongors continue to repeat the same baseless accusations, cast blame, and/or cite their favorite boogeymen as the reason/cause for the occurrence of specific events for which they have no evidence. And reinforce each others' certitude that the repetition of such third hand anecdotes, fabrications and Internet based chatter is a suitable substitute for presentation of evidence.
Old 01-17-22, 08:26 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 708 Times in 362 Posts
Here’s an actual account of what happened. https://apple.news/AjznsegygQXC922Ixrzalqw

the actual fault for the accident can be debated. From the account it appears the driver clearly didn’t give Bradley sufficient room. However, depending how abruptly Bradley moved left, and whether he did it while still in front of the car, or after the car was already up to him, there may be an argument that he had some fault as well.

Regardless of the precise facts of the accident, the abhorrent fact is that the driver did not stop to render assistance and yet wasn’t charged with leaving the scene
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 01-17-22, 08:31 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

And I know I will be shouted down for blaming the cyclist, and that’s not my intent. However, there is a teachable moment here.

Often, it’s safest to fully take the lane, when safe to do so before entering a roundabout. If Bradley would have moved in front of the van, with sufficient room, and making eye contact with driver before doing so, he wouldn’t be paralyzed today.

obviously it is easy to second guess. But the takeaway going forward is take the Lane before entering roundabouts.

in fact many in our area are marked for bikes to do just that.

Sp again not blaming Bradley, but just an opportunity for other cyclists to learn
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 01-17-22, 09:02 AM
RayHenry
Legend In My Own Mind

Bikes: Road, hybrid, mountain, motor. I have no shame.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 17 Posts
This right here:
she says she gave Bradley enough room when passing him

When I was hit, this is exactly what the driver who hit me told the cops when he was tracked down. This is no surprise, I've learned over the years since. Far too many people out there have no idea where their vehicle ends. Now, when in a position where lane splitting may be a danger to me as a rider, I take the lane. Yes, I've had annoyed drivers honk, yell, swear, accelerate hard around me. But they have all moved right out of the lane to get around me, leaving me lots of room.
Likes For RayHenry:
Old 01-17-22, 10:42 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
The same can be said for the "facts" about UFO sightings or the facts as professed by the purveyors of various religions.
Seems an odd analogy.

Are you suggesting that accidents for which the proximate cause can be tied to cell phone use are as speculative as the presence of UFOs?

Do you question the existence of both because you lack adequate documentation?
Old 01-17-22, 01:02 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by jon c.
Seems an odd analogy.

Are you suggesting that accidents for which the proximate cause can be tied to cell phone use are as speculative as the presence of UFOs?

Do you question the existence of both because you lack adequate documentation?
For some A&S posters, cell phone use and/or texting are the so-called "proximate cause" [whatever that is supposed to mean] and "tied" to any and every collision where the actual facts about the cause are unknown.

These irrational/emotional A&S types are hardly alone in claiming/speculating that unexplained events/mishaps are caused by God's will, or perhaps whatever boogeyman, evil doer, evil device, or other-worldly presence trips their trigger.
Old 01-17-22, 01:23 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
If Bradley would have moved in front of the van, with sufficient room, and making eye contact with driver before doing so, he wouldn’t be paralyzed today.
Look, you can't write something like that and deny you're blaming the victim--you're literally saying he caused his own crippling. You have absolutely no way of knowing that statement is true other than your assumptions about the situation. Even the driver didn't claim she didn't see him. And eye contact? What the hell? She was behind him, he's supposed to turn his head 180 degrees?

I'll be damned if I can understand why people are so anxious around here to use someone else's crippling as a "teachable moment".

Last edited by livedarklions; 01-17-22 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-17-22, 01:32 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Look, you can't write something like that and deny you're blaming the victim--you're literally saying he caused his own crippling. You have absolutely no way of knowing that statement is true other than your assumptions about the situation. Even the driver didn't claim she didn't see him. And eye contact? What the hell?

I'll be damned if I can understand why people are so anxious around here to use someone else's crippling as a "teachable moment".

there is a distinction between assigning blame for an incident, and using information learned from an incident to improve practices going forward.

you’re not legally at fault or blameworthy if you don’t take the lane in a roundabout and get clipped by a poor or inattentive driver.

that does not alter the fact that the best practice in many circumstances is to take the lane before entering a roundabout.

It is an unfortunate reality that automobile drivers are going to do things that put cyclists at risk.

As cyclists, we should learn as best we can to protect ourselves. Using this tragic incident to teach other cyclists is about the only productive thing that possibly can come from this thread
Old 01-17-22, 01:37 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
For some A&S posters, cell phone use and/or texting are the so-called "proximate cause" [whatever that is supposed to mean] and "tied" to any and every collision where the actual facts about the cause are unknown.

These irrational/emotional A&S types are hardly alone in claiming/speculating that unexplained events/mishaps are caused by God's will, or perhaps whatever boogeyman, evil doer, evil device, or other-worldly presence trips their trigger.

It isn't just the "it's always a cell phone." There's also the "it's always bad lane position", "it's always cyclist wearing headphones", "it's always DUI", "it's always a jerk in a black pickup", and then there's the basic "it's always the drivers' fault" or "always the cyclist's fault."

A&S is literally just a collection of fault lines.
Old 01-17-22, 01:39 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

And eye contact? What the hell? She was behind him, he's supposed to turn his head 180 degrees?

".
Eye contact is one of the few, and one of the best tools we have to survive in traffic. Drivers often don’t “see” us. Even if the physically see us, they often don’t perceive us as human beings. Making actual eye contact with a driver before you move in front of them greatly improves your chances that they see you and perceive you as a human they shouldn’t kill.

if you look them in the eye, and they don’t acknowledge you then you’re at least forewarned.

So hell yes, if at all possible I’m making eye contact with a driver before I move into or in front of their lane of travel

If you’re not making eye contact with the drivers of cars around you, you’re unnecessarily increasing your own risk

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 01-17-22 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-17-22, 01:44 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

It isn't just the "it's always a cell phone." There's also the "it's always bad lane position", "it's always cyclist wearing headphones", "it's always DUI", "it's always a jerk in a black pickup", and then there's the basic "it's always the drivers' fault" or "always the cyclist's fault."

A&S is literally just a collection of fault lines.
My comment is specific to lane position in this particular circumstance, as relayed by the cyclist himself.

in the vast majority of circumstances, it is preferable to take the lane before entering a roundabout, to avoid precisely what happened here, provided you have space to do so safely.

Trying to pass on that point to people who may have not been taught that or have had that experience is the sort of thing this form should be about.

Are you arguing that cyclists shouldn’t take the lane before entering a roundabout? If that s your claim, you could tell us why you think that and we could have a rational conversation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.