Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

53cm Conti with complete Galli groupset

Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Old 06-25-21, 03:50 PM
Mushrooom

Bikes: Marinoni Ciclo 1999, Marinoni Fleur de Lys 1979, Conti Designer 84, Look 585 2006

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts

Here’s a wonderful example of detailed and meticulous Italian craftsmanship at its best: the Conti Designer 84 (probably early 90s). The history of this bike and its rarity are so cool that they add a little wow-factor to the already superb build quality of the frame and groupset. All the small details and engravings make me think that this was a top of the line bike.

Groupset: Galli Criterium.
Size: 53 cm downtube center-to-center.
Material: Columbus steel with some kind of Colnago-style tubing and chromed fork, seatstay and chainstay.
Downtube shifters: Mavic SSC (Simplex SLJ)
Saddle: San Marco Concor Supercorsa
Stem and handlebar: 3ttt
Tubular tires: Vittoria Competition Rally 21 28’’
Pedals: Shimano Ultegra PD-6620

A bit of history: from what I understand, Conti was the “local” version of Ciöcc meant for the Italian market. These bikes are thus extremely rare. Both were made in the same factory owned by the Bonati brothers (that also made Concorde bikes), often by the same employees using the same or similar parts. Galli was another Italian company that thought of themselves as the true competitors to Campagnolo. They favored simplicity, lightness and traditional mechanics that were easy to service. Working on this bike is a charm because setting things correctly is so easy.

As you’ll see from the pictures, the bike is in “rider’s” condition. It has a lot of scuffs and signs of use. No rust to be found though. The BB is practically NOS and period correct to the rest of the groupset. I got it from nesteel (thanks John!).

Brakes are a little hard to press and probably need new springs or more oil.

Asking XXX$US + shipping [not for sale anymore]. (Could sell for less if you don't need the pedals/saddle.)

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by Mushrooom; 05-07-22 at 09:23 AM. Reason: I decided to keep this bike after all.
Likes For Mushrooom:
Old 07-12-21, 09:48 AM
Mushrooom

Bikes: Marinoni Ciclo 1999, Marinoni Fleur de Lys 1979, Conti Designer 84, Look 585 2006

Just a quick heads up to let you know that I'll go camping and won't be able to take any PMs until the end of July. Please allow some extra time if you get in contact with me. I'm also considering selling the groupset separately and keeping the frame. Let me know if this is something that might interest you.
Old 08-17-21, 03:56 PM
Mushrooom

I'm taking offers, so don't be afraid to shoot!

If this doesn't sell, I will sell the groupset separately.
Likes For Mushrooom:
Old 08-18-21, 03:31 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
A 53 from nesteel! I got a 60 from him. He must be an adaptable fellow.

Old 08-18-21, 03:50 PM
Mushrooom

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
A 53 from nesteel! I got a 60 from him. He must be an adaptable fellow.
No, I only got the BB from John. The bike was sent to me by a friend in France.

Last edited by Mushrooom; 08-18-21 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-18-22, 12:32 PM
Mushrooom

I've decided to keep this one after all! I understand the scuffs may have turned some people off. This one will become my deluxe "city commuter". Cheers!
Likes For Mushrooom: