Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The Etiquette of Drafting

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 12-02-21, 09:51 PM
Cramic

Bikes: Giant TCR Pro Disk 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts

Newish cyclist here, riding mostly on roads. Just wondered what people’s thoughts are on the “unannounced drafter”.

I live in Perth (Western Australia) and it’s bloody windy! As such it’s really helpful to get on another cyclist’s wheel, but it doesn’t always feel fair.

Case in point, today I was cycling along a long, flat path and a cyclist was up ahead. I was catching him pretty quick, announced that I was about to pass, and did so. I had a feeling he attached himself to my wheel and when I came to turn off a few kilometres later it was confirmed. There was a fairly strong headwind that I did all the work against. He didn’t ask if he could “hitch a ride”.

But the caveat to all this is that he was clearly slower than me when up against the wind himself, so I wouldn’t have wanted him to go ahead. I’d have ended up slower (albeit getting a bit of a rest). So where’s the harm in him riding behind me?

I feel like I’m being a petty little guy! 😂

But then, that said, I had somebody else do it without me knowing. I thought I heard something fall from my bike and my immediate reaction was to brake and look back…to see another cyclist swerving around me and muttering a curse. Which I think was totally unacceptable. I accept that there are “slowing down” signals, but it all happened so fast and it was only an issue because he was a few inches off my rear wheel, benefiting from the slipstream.

So what are people’s thoughts on this? Is there a fairly well accepted etiquette?
Old 12-02-21, 10:18 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
It's not "nice" but that's to be expected.

When you're out experiencing "life" you'll run across people who take and other people who give. That transcends all sports. Cycling is no different. When I encounter a situation like yours where I catch a slower rider and they want to cling to my wheel to keep up, I'll do it for a few hundred yards and if they don't do a pull, I get up from my saddle and drop them if I can.

Now mind you, this does NOT happen often with me because there are lots of faster riders in my area, but it does happen occasionally. Try doing the same and don't get worked up over wheel suckers. On the other hand, I have been known to slow way down to force the rider to make a decision to go around or be an obvious wheel sucker. I rarely do that and only if I'm in a bad mood that day, which is also very rare.
Old 12-02-21, 10:24 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 616 Posts
Originally Posted by Cramic
Newish cyclist here, riding mostly on roads. Just wondered what people’s thoughts are on the “unannounced drafter”.

I live in Perth (Western Australia) and it’s bloody windy! As such it’s really helpful to get on another cyclist’s wheel, but it doesn’t always feel fair.

Case in point, today I was cycling along a long, flat path and a cyclist was up ahead. I was catching him pretty quick, announced that I was about to pass, and did so. I had a feeling he attached himself to my wheel and when I came to turn off a few kilometres later it was confirmed. There was a fairly strong headwind that I did all the work against. He didn’t ask if he could “hitch a ride”.

But the caveat to all this is that he was clearly slower than me when up against the wind himself, so I wouldn’t have wanted him to go ahead. I’d have ended up slower (albeit getting a bit of a rest). So where’s the harm in him riding behind me?

I feel like I’m being a petty little guy! 😂

But then, that said, I had somebody else do it without me knowing. I thought I heard something fall from my bike and my immediate reaction was to brake and look back…to see another cyclist swerving around me and muttering a curse. Which I think was totally unacceptable. I accept that there are “slowing down” signals, but it all happened so fast and it was only an issue because he was a few inches off my rear wheel, benefiting from the slipstream.
So what are people’s thoughts on this? Is there a fairly well accepted etiquette?
The Front Rider gains 1 or 2 Mph when another tags on behind.
Enjoy The Boost

Old 12-02-21, 10:56 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,421 Times in 2,824 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Enjoy The Boost
Huh? Citations please.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-02-21, 11:04 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Maybe, if you're riding at >100 mph.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-02-21, 11:08 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
I don't like it. That person is obligating me to ride for them or possibly put myself at risk when they crash into me if I do something unacceptable to a drafter behind. Announce yourself and give me the option to ride for you or be willing to take all risks including anything happening to me from your presence.

My view - unless there is agreement by both parties to suspend the law, the law should apply. Tailgating to the tune of 24 inches or less is illegal in most states. It is here in Oregon.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 12-02-21, 11:58 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,421 Times in 2,824 Posts
Now there are bicycle laws? Did I fall into an alternate reality?

Old 12-03-21, 01:54 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
It's etiquette. Just like there is no law against farting in an elevator, but doing it is a Richard move.

Oh, and sliding in a taking someone's wheel uninvited that you don't know what a Fred does. Don't do it. Don't force others who were out on a solo training ride or just out for a spin to focus on you, too.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 12-03-21, 02:21 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
So where’s the harm in him riding behind me?
If you have any general concern toward the safety of other humans, it puts a responsibility on you.

Frankly a lot of people who hitch a wheel without asking have flat-out bad judgement. Mostly because they actually trust a stranger who hasn't made any kind of demonstration of safe or fun group-riding behavior, but for other reasons as well.
Recently I had some guy on an ebike do it to me. He was going around 15mph, I was cruising along at around 21mph, and he hopped on my wheel when I passed. About a mile later, he decided to hop in front to "help" right as we started to go downhill; I had to immediately re-pass to get up to reasonable speed. Not a big deal, but kind of silly.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 12-03-21, 02:43 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 379 Posts
This subject pops up pretty regularly here. If I am going to draft behind someone I come across on on a ride, I'll say something like "You mind if I tag along back here for a little bit?* A couple of times I have picked up an unexpected tail, and while I don't think it is polite for someone to ride on my backside without making himself known (if it were a "her" I wouldn't care), I won't get bent out of shape about it.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 12-03-21, 04:17 AM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
I won't let an uninvited Fred suck my wheel. There are four options, aside from taking him down.

1. Drop him
2. Slow down to deliver a message
3. Stop and have a rest
4. Ask him to get off your wheel

There is potential harm, the wheelsucker could take you down. Different story with riders you know and accept the risk of riding together. Strangers with questionable riding ability? Not a risk I want to assume and it seems wrong to latch on without asking or getting an invite (hand wave from behind)
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 12-03-21, 04:25 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,264 Times in 7,221 Posts
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-03-21, 04:38 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
IMO, I have no responsibility for the safety of a stranger that jumps on my back wheel. My responsibility is my safety. At this point in my bike world, this is a bit of moot point as I almost never have someone do this.
Old 12-03-21, 06:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
You know better than that if you're riding on roads, we're subject to lots of laws.
In most states, a bicyclist is a vehicle operator who has all applicable legal rights and duties on a road. That would definitely include anti-tailgating laws that require some prudent distance between vehicles.

On a path in Perth? I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-03-21, 06:09 AM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
You know better than that if you're riding on roads, we're subject to lots of laws.
In most states, a bicyclist is a vehicle operator who has all applicable legal rights and duties on a road. That would definitely include anti-tailgating laws that require some prudent distance between vehicles.

On a path in Perth? I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised.
I live in Perth. There's some pretty major and smooth sailing paths going all across the city

I find that below 30kph no one is really riding hard or fast enough to draft so it doesn't matter
On the flip side, if I'm holding down 35-40kph and someone jumps on my wheel, then they're generally strong and experienced enough to also take pulls, and with a little nudge of the elbow I've had fun little pace lines going on many a commute

If you don't like someone on your wheel, either speed up and drop them, slow down so they pass you or start firing off snot rockets
Old 12-03-21, 06:16 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Unannounced wheel sucking is definitely a safety hazard and probably a traffic violation if done on a road. When I've caught people doing it to me on paths, I've told them I will stop suddenly for pedestrians and take no responsibility for signalling my stop or anything else to them. That has backed them off so far.

Pacelining of any kind on a MUP is generally unsafe. I do what I can to discourage drafting if I think there's any real likelihood of pedestrian traffic.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-03-21, 06:37 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by SapInMyBlood
I live in Perth. There's some pretty major and smooth sailing paths going all across the city

I find that below 30kph no one is really riding hard or fast enough to draft so it doesn't matter
On the flip side, if I'm holding down 35-40kph and someone jumps on my wheel, then they're generally strong and experienced enough to also take pulls, and with a little nudge of the elbow I've had fun little pace lines going on many a commute

If you don't like someone on your wheel, either speed up and drop them, slow down so they pass you or start firing off snot rockets
Or tell them to stop. Or swerve side to side. Or......

There are US MUPs where I think it's reasonably safe, and if people know they have a "partner", it's ok. I have seen people doing this while essentially slaloming through pedestrians, which I think was clearly illegal and dangerous.

Ninja wheelsucking under any nonrace circumstance isn't just an etiquette violation, it's really dangerous. At a minimum, tell someone you're there.
Old 12-03-21, 06:52 AM
Cramic

Originally Posted by SapInMyBlood

Good to hear from another Perth rider, but then you must know that kph doesn’t mean a lot here? The headwind (or tailwind) means a lot.

My first example from today, doing the Canning Bridge to Narrows Strava segment (4.18km) I did 40.1kph at approx 10am.

My second example, cycling to work (essentially from UWA to the city, along Mounts Bay Road) was a “leisurely” 25kph or so, due to headwind.

In addition, I saw somebody get drafted earlier this week. I approached Mounts Bay Road from the Bell Tower. One cyclist ahead of me, who I was gaining on. Another guy came down off the Narrows Bridge, splitting us, but going at the same speed as me. I kept up with him, both gaining on the first cyclist, who he subsequently passed, who then stayed inches off his wheel. I think we averaged around 20kph due to a 30kph headwind (the doctor) and the gaps between me and the first two riders stayed the same. Me and the drafter peeled off at UWA and I passed him easily going up the western path of Kings Park.

Interested to hear your thoughts! It’s more about effort in my view, not outright speed.
Old 12-03-21, 06:59 AM
Cramic

Interesting to hear most people seem to think the same as me. It’s unfair and unsafe to draft.

But equally, as I pointed out, it’d actually be inconvenient if my first cyclist passed me to do his “fair share”.

So, being the sudden recipient of a slipstream, would you slow, to get out of it, and then continue at your earlier pace? Or tuck in behind and go along for the ride?
Old 12-03-21, 07:01 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Enjoy The Boost
Incorrect.
Old 12-03-21, 07:17 AM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Incorrect.
3-4% less drag for the lead rider in a tight paceline depending which study you want to believe

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...67610518306755

Old 12-03-21, 07:35 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,945 Times in 935 Posts
Ride in the hills and mountains and draft dodgers disappear magically.
Old 12-03-21, 08:01 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Interesting to hear most people seem to think the same as me. It’s unfair and unsafe to draft.

But equally, as I pointed out, it’d actually be inconvenient if my first cyclist passed me to do his “fair share”.

So, being the sudden recipient of a slipstream, would you slow, to get out of it, and then continue at your earlier pace? Or tuck in behind and go along for the ride?
Situational.

I'm a solo rider, so I'm going to go whatever speed I would normally go at and if someone wants to tuck in front of me and go as fast as I normally would or better, I'm going to stay behind them until I want to do otherwise. They know I'm there because they put me there so the awareness and etiquette are all fair game.

I have no idea how I'd handle this in a place as windy as where you ride, however. We get high winds where I ride from time to time, but nothing systematic like that. I'd think you might be somewhere where there's some unspoken rules that wouldn't apply elsewhere. From SapInMyBlood 's post, I suspect that might be the case.
Old 12-03-21, 08:02 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Enjoy The Boost
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
3-4% less drag for the lead rider in a tight paceline depending which study you want to believe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PevpVXelq8A

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...67610518306755
The video is not a "study", and I'm not sure why the second "rider" is standing up with a kids' bike between his legs; so I wouldn't take it seriously.

The cited article (and some cited pieces in its lit review) does suggest a <3% drag reduction for the leading rider in a two-person paceline, under very ideal conditions. (i.e., a drafting distance of a few inches.) I didn't see any numbers as high as 4%.

And at any rate, neither of these sources supports the conclusion of a 1-2 mph increase for a leading rider in a two-person paceline. Drag and speed are two different things, and we'd need someone who remembers more about their college physics to sort that out.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-03-21, 08:10 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 616 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
The video is not a "study", and I'm not sure why the second "rider" is standing up with a kids' bike between his legs; so I wouldn't take it seriously.

The cited article (and some cited pieces in its lit review) does suggest a <3% drag reduction for the leading rider in a two-person paceline, under very ideal conditions. (i.e., a drafting distance of a few inches.) I didn't see any numbers as high as 4%.

And at any rate, neither of these sources supports the conclusion of a 1-2 mph increase for a leading rider in a two-person paceline. Drag and speed are two different things, and we'd need someone who remembers more about their college physics to sort that out.
I need No Study. I was There many Times.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.