Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Park Work Stand PCS-1

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Park Work Stand PCS-1

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-22, 01:15 PM
IceTee2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Park Work Stand PCS-1

I have a chance to buy a Park PCS-1 (pre6/96 model) off CL for $100 and it appears to be in very good shape. I am rebuilding/restoring a couple of Trek 520s and I'm hoping it will make these projects a little easier on my back. For $100 I could get something off Amazon that would have a more convenient clamp. Feedback please!
Old 01-10-22, 03:51 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Well, I'll say the advantage of the Park is that it's practically bombproof if you plan on keeping it a few years. Not the easiest and most compact to fold up and not real lightweight if that matters and they do also have spares for anything that does break/wear out. $100 is a fair price but more on the higher end of the scale for what those can be found for but not always easy to come by either.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 01-10-22 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-10-22, 04:23 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
$100 seem like a good deal if it’s working properly. I have the PCS-1 and I think it’s pretty versatile. It takes a little cajoling to adjust the clamp for various tube sizes. But if you’re using it at home…where you can set it for your frame tube size and leave it…it’s all good. The only drawback is clamping on CF frames. In those cases, I clamp to something like the front of the seat.

Dan
Old 01-10-22, 04:51 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by IceTee2
I have a chance to buy a Park PCS-1 (pre6/96 model) off CL for $100 and it appears to be in very good shape. I am rebuilding/restoring a couple of Trek 520s and I'm hoping it will make these projects a little easier on my back. For $100 I could get something off Amazon that would have a more convenient clamp. Feedback please!
I have a pre96 PCS-1 and have been using it since the early 1990s. It is an excellent stand and far better than any stand that you can get for $100 anywhere, with one proviso…it’s short. I had a tube added to mine that moved the clamp up to my eye height and haven’t regretted doing so. The spring clamp can be a bit hard on frames but I seldom clamp the frame anyway. I clamp the seat post since seatposts are far cheaper than frames.

I also upgraded the clamp in the last 5 or so years to a 100-9C clamp.

If I were to do the extension again, I’d probably try to use the PCS-EXT stand extension and have it welded. That would make the height adjustable. I did that with another stand I got for my daughter in Tucson.

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-10-22, 08:32 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
I'd have to evaluate the level of wear, if its someone who always thought they would work on bikes and its mostly been used to showcase a bike or stored in the closet its worth every bit of 100. If the owner is someone more serious about their repairs and it received regular use for the last 25-30 years I'd move on, I find these stands do a decent job of most bikes till the heavier mtbs when you have to keep readjusting, but if worn from regular use it'd be annoying and not worth the cost.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 01-11-22, 10:05 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
I'd have to evaluate the level of wear, if its someone who always thought they would work on bikes and its mostly been used to showcase a bike or stored in the closet its worth every bit of 100. If the owner is someone more serious about their repairs and it received regular use for the last 25-30 years I'd move on, I find these stands do a decent job of most bikes till the heavier mtbs when you have to keep readjusting, but if worn from regular use it'd be annoying and not worth the cost.
The PCS-1 (and most any Park stand) isn’t a stand that “wears out”. Mine has been in constant use for 30 years and shows zero wear. I replaced the spring clamp because I wanted to but not because I had to. The original clamp is still in very good shape. I use the clamp I have now at my co-op in the professional version of the stand and those get far more abuse than mine will ever get. They are used tens of thousands of times per year and they get severely abused. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a used one from them because the clamp can be rebuilt.

Even if the stand were is extremely bad shape, it’s a far better stand than anything you can buy off Amazon for $100.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-11-22, 10:20 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
The PCS-1 (and most any Park stand) isn’t a stand that “wears out”. Mine has been in constant use for 30 years and shows zero wear. I replaced the spring clamp because I wanted to but not because I had to. The original clamp is still in very good shape. I use the clamp I have now at my co-op in the professional version of the stand and those get far more abuse than mine will ever get. They are used tens of thousands of times per year and they get severely abused. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a used one from them because the clamp can be rebuilt.

Even if the stand were is extremely bad shape, it’s a far better stand than anything you can buy off Amazon for $100.
That has not been my experience, glad it has for you. This is why I traded mine in after about 15 years for a PRS 3.3 which I much prefer. I've worked in, and helped set up, bike clinics. We used them due to the level of thefts that were happening but they would still wear enough with very regular use to not optimally hold the bike the way I'd like. No different from the pro stands, which can take many decades, but I have seen them with clamp arms that wore through at the pivot and one that wore too far where the rotating clamp was.
Old 01-11-22, 10:50 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Since we’re talking about work stands, just pointing out that Aldi grocery stores occasionally carry a work stand. I have a PCS-1 so I haven’t used this one. But other discussions here in the BFs have indicated that they’re really pretty good quality…and for less than $100 U.S. If there is an Aldi near you…maybe check it out.
https://www.mtbr.com/threads/anyone-...stand.1103525/

Dan
Old 01-11-22, 12:23 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Since we’re talking about work stands, just pointing out that Aldi grocery stores occasionally carry a work stand. I have a PCS-1 so I haven’t used this one. But other discussions here in the BFs have indicated that they’re really pretty good quality…and for less than $100 U.S. If there is an Aldi near you…maybe check it out.
https://www.mtbr.com/threads/anyone-...stand.1103525/

Dan
I have the stand motioned from Aldi's and its actually a really good stand. I paid $22 for it or so and its been a solid stand. Its not my primary use stand but seriously if I only had this one stand to do work on it would be just fine.
Old 01-11-22, 12:26 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

I would personally pass on the used one for $100. For that money you can probably do better for something better off branded.
Old 01-11-22, 12:59 PM
IceTee2

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks as always for the input. I went to see the stand this am and it looks like new...original owner. I mentioned to him that it was not height adjustable and offered him $50, he countered with $60 and it was in the back of my VW Alltrack in a couple of nano-seconds. We'll see if I made the right decision. Stay safe.....Jerry
Likes For IceTee2:
Old 01-11-22, 02:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4352 Post(s)
Liked 3,990 Times in 2,663 Posts
I have a vintage Park stand and it works fine, it has been replaced in usage by a new PRS-25 but the old stand still works and I got a great deal on it. It can be upgraded to new clamps and such generally and is good long lasting quality. I think you made a good decision and will at least get you a stand to start with and you can see what you like and don't like and then upgrade as needed like I did (though now a newer stand came out after I bought my new one this year that I want but I am holding off due to price it is way more than my Park Stand and while it will save my back from lifting I don't need it enough yet to justify getting rid of a brand new stand to buy another brand new stand and also one that isn't Park.
Old 01-11-22, 02:21 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Thanks as always for the input. I went to see the stand this am and it looks like new...original owner. I mentioned to him that it was not height adjustable and offered him $50, he countered with $60 and it was in the back of my VW Alltrack in a couple of nano-seconds. We'll see if I made the right decision. Stay safe.....Jerry
yeah, for $60 thats probably a good deal. AND I would be Park would still have parts to help you out with they have great CS
Old 01-11-22, 04:17 PM
cyccommute 

Good job. Check with a local welder and see if they could add the Park extension to your stand. That will make it a great stand instead of a really good one.

Old 01-11-22, 06:37 PM
IceTee2

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'm thinking that I might call/eMail Park Tool to see if they can tell me the ID of the vertical portion of the tubing. I'm kinda hoping that the extension piece (park #927 will fit inside of that original tubing with the clamp to made it adjustable. I don't know if Park Tool will be eager to have me do mods to a 25+ year old stand instead of buying a new one.

If anyone has a later model PCS-1 with the adjustable vertical tubing could you let me know the OD of the tubing. A quick caliper check showed 1-5/8" OD for my pre-96 stand..
Old 01-11-22, 09:45 PM
cyccommute 

I'm thinking that I might call/eMail Park Tool to see if they can tell me the ID of the vertical portion of the tubing. I'm kinda hoping that the extension piece (park #927 will fit inside of that original tubing with the clamp to made it adjustable. I don't know if Park Tool will be eager to have me do mods to a 25+ year old stand instead of buying a new one.

If anyone has a later model PCS-1 with the adjustable vertical tubing could you let me know the OD of the tubing. A quick caliper check showed 1-5/8" OD for my pre-96 stand..
Park’s customer service is excellent. They have been very helpful to me in the past. If they give you the dimensions, please share.

Old 01-12-22, 08:12 AM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
GREAT price !!!!

Cannot go wrong for 60.00 !!!

And ALWAYS....clamp the seat post.....never the frame