Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

3D Printer Stuff

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-22, 03:55 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 1,044 Posts
3D Printer Stuff

Is there, or can ya all make an area for us to post and exchange information dealing with bicycle 3D printer stuff?

I have a couple of .stl files I would like to post for use but there really is not a place... Yet...
Old 01-17-22, 04:12 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Why not post the files somewhere that specializes in that such a thingiverse (or maybe somewhere else with better license terms) and then mention them here in the thread you just created, or in threads relevant to the particular use.

Also keep in mind that parametric designs (OpenSCAD, etc) are a lot more universally useful that .stl files, since they can be customized in details like changing that light mount to a different seatpost size or angle or whatever.

And FDM 3D printed stuff is going to be mostly light / phone / GPS mounts rather than functionally mechanical - maybe water bottle cage adapters at the outside.
Likes For UniChris:
Old 01-17-22, 07:52 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,967 Times in 1,916 Posts
Another option might be to create a thread. Then members post there profile link with a brief description of what the files are to the associated "Visitor Message" area. The "Visitor Message" area would contain the description & print files.
additional option to include, is a link in your sig to the aforementioned thread that your supporting.
Old 01-17-22, 08:00 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Originally Posted by UniChris
Why not post the files somewhere that specializes in that such a thingiverse...
Oh Yes I agree... But if you go to Thingiverse it can be tedious to find Bicycle related objects. You may have to wade through pages of useless objects that have nothing to do with real bicycles. I just would like to see an area where we could post those printable items that are useful and proven.

Cheap 3D printers are going for about 200 USD and I expect that soon we could see table top CNC machines that could work aluminum and other soft metals for a little more.
Old 01-17-22, 08:10 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
But if you go to Thingiverse it can be tedious to find Bicycle related objects. You may have to wade through pages of useless objects that have nothing to do with real bicycles. I just would like to see an area where we could post those printable items that are useful and proven.
That's why I'm suggesting you post links in the thread here, to the files there or on some other 3d printing repository site.

Cheap 3D printers are going for about 200 USD
Indeed, though they can be finicky

I expect that soon we could see table top CNC machines that could work aluminum and other soft metals for a little more.
Nope. For two main reasons:

First, cutting force is very much a thing - designing a machine that can resist that is drastically more complex than designing one that can move what's basically a miniature hot glue gun around

The other problem is the geometry of machining: many useful parts would require a cutter to come in from multiple angles. That requires either pricey 5 or 6 axis setups, or having a whole plan of re-fixturing the workpiece in a different angle partway through.

There's a reason desktop plastic fabrication has taken off, and apart from some very constrained applications like engraving, key cutting, programmed drilling, or (just barely) milling simple circuit boards, desktop machining is mostly a curiosity.
Likes For UniChris:
Old 01-18-22, 09:03 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
There has been a 3D printed thread in the gadgets and dodads forum for quite a long time.

Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets

And it gets regular updates. Is that not good 'nuff? You could start your own, I'd think that forum the obvious place though.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 01-18-22, 10:44 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,967 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
That's why I'm suggesting you post links in the thread here, to the files there or on some other 3d printing repository site.

Indeed, though they can be finicky

Nope. For two main reasons:

First, cutting force is very much a thing - designing a machine that can resist that is drastically more complex than designing one that can move what's basically a miniature hot glue gun around

The other problem is the geometry of machining: many useful parts would require a cutter to come in from multiple angles. That requires either pricey 5 or 6 axis setups, or having a whole plan of re-fixturing the workpiece in a different angle partway through.

There's a reason desktop plastic fabrication has taken off, and apart from some very constrained applications like engraving, key cutting, programmed drilling, or (just barely) milling simple circuit boards, desktop machining is mostly a curiosity.
robotic plasma 3D cutting might be a futuristic thing.
Old 01-18-22, 12:19 PM
zandoval 

Originally Posted by Iride01
There has been a 3D printed thread in the gadgets and dodads forum for quite a long time.

Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets

And it gets regular updates. Is that not good 'nuff? You could start your own, I'd think that forum the obvious place though.
OK... Got It! Thanks...