Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Another old guy joins the group with a question about brand preference

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 02-14-22, 08:56 PM
SteveInConverse

Bikes: Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts

Hey all, I'm 55 and am buying a bike next week. It's likely going to be either a Trek FX series or a Specialized Sirrus model. I'm considering the X 2.0. I will be riding primarily roads with some light trails at the local parks. Both of these manufacturers seem to have good reputations and I had a Trek some years ago and recall it was a nice bike (don't remember the model). Between these two, which would you choose and why? I like the lifetime warranty of Trek but the Specialized seems to have better quality parts from my understanding. Help! lol.

Thanks in advance, Steve.
Old 02-14-22, 09:46 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 719 Posts
I'd incline towards the trek and in the vein of these two bikes check out the Cannondale Quick as well which is a similar style. Price for price the two brands are always very similarly equipped and you're not usually giving up anything by picking one over the other. I lean towards the trek as I think the company behind specialized uses some shady tactics and having worked in shops that sold both I never once was inclined to buy a specialized, not certain what people see special about them but I never have. For hybrids and similar the treks were always solid, reliable and fairly light bikes for the price that made them stand out more when making suggestions for friends and family.
Old 02-15-22, 01:17 AM
SteveInConverse

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
I'd incline towards the trek and in the vein of these two bikes check out the Cannondale Quick as well which is a similar style. Price for price the two brands are always very similarly equipped and you're not usually giving up anything by picking one over the other. I lean towards the trek as I think the company behind specialized uses some shady tactics and having worked in shops that sold both I never once was inclined to buy a specialized, not certain what people see special about them but I never have. For hybrids and similar the treks were always solid, reliable and fairly light bikes for the price that made them stand out more when making suggestions for friends and family.
Thank you for your reply and the suggestion for the Cannondale. Now I have more research to do lol. I'm a little familiar with Cannondale from wayyyy back when they were pretty much road bikes only.
Old 02-15-22, 03:37 AM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,825 Times in 2,982 Posts
Pick the one you like the look of best as they are going to be very similar in performance/spec per $. As brands go they are on a par.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-15-22, 03:52 AM
SteveInConverse

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Pick the one you like the look of best as they are going to be very similar in performance/spec per $. As brands go they are on a par.
Thank you! It's kind of overwhelming when you get off into the weeds of spec's, options etc. I'm liking the Cannondale CX 4 after checking it out online and I'm still interested in the Trek FX series (FX2 Disc). I do like the looks of the Trek overall.
Old 02-15-22, 06:35 AM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 60 Posts
Fit and comfort on the bike is key. If possible, definitely take them for a test ride. Have fun and enjoy!
Likes For Jumpski:
Old 02-15-22, 08:21 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 695 Times in 434 Posts
Agree with fit and comfort. A few other things to consider: Do you do your own maintenance/adjustments? If not, which dealer has the best reputation for mechanical work-if you have bike clubs in your area, might ask someone in them for that info. And which shop has a good rep for handling warranty issues (hopefully you won't have any-but......).Are you purchasing the bike "off the floor" or will it have to be ordered? This is important now, as the parts listed on a website may not be what comes with the bike (parts shortages due to covid). The small print states that parts may be other than listed, so even if off the floor, check out the components. Substitute components may be of equal quality, but if that is a sticking point, you'll want to check that out. Proprietary components are something I don't care for, but you may just have to "grin and bear it" if the bike has them. Many do. Are you going to be adding a rack, fenders, or other accessories? if you are, does the frame have mounting points for those you might add. Best o'luck and enjoy a new bike!
Likes For freeranger:
Old 02-15-22, 08:22 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
I would say check out Cannondale also but having said that buy the bike that gives you the best kit for the price. I bought a Quick only because the bike fit me best and was suited for the riding I do. I don't buy Speclized because I think the price is inflated but that is a personal thing. Buy the bike that feels best for you and you will ride it more and that is the most important thing. Oh, and also having fun,
Frank.
Old 02-15-22, 08:23 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
related issues?: any availability issues with the models you are looking at? any differences w/ the bike shops you would buy from?
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 02-15-22, 08:55 AM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,825 Times in 2,982 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveInConverse
Thank you! It's kind of overwhelming when you get off into the weeds of spec's, options etc. I'm liking the Cannondale CX 4 after checking it out online and I'm still interested in the Trek FX series (FX2 Disc). I do like the looks of the Trek overall.
If that's the Cannondale Quick CX4 with a cheap suspension fork then don't bother. Suspension forks in that price range are complete dead-weight junk. Much better to stick with a rigid fork like on the Trek FX2.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-16-22, 08:06 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
If you are doing roads and light trails, which is my kind of riding, you do not need any suspension, and I agree with the previous post that you are arguably better off without it. My classic top-of-the-line Schwinn mountain bike serves my -- and presumably your -- needs perfectly.

I do strongly recommend adding handlebar extensions, which provide a valuable additional hand position, with palms-vertical neutral rotation in the forearm, similar to what one gets on drop bars.

CycleAware mirror on my Giro XEN helmet.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 02-16-22, 08:24 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 392 Times in 232 Posts
There are lots of great bikes out there, so I'd suggest you pick the shop first. Choose the one that listens to you, what type of riding you'll do and who will able to provide maintenance for you. Unfortunately though, supply chain issues may limit your choice, but I hear it's getting better.
Old 02-16-22, 09:52 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,791 Times in 3,305 Posts
Do you buy Ford, Buick, Chevrolet, Nissan, Toyota and etc?

It's much the same.

I'd pick the one that calls to you the most. If these are from different dealers in your area, then pick the one from the dealer you think you can get along with the most. If you are buying online, then one that has a authorized dealer/service near you so any potential issues and questions can be addressed first hand in person.
Old 02-16-22, 09:33 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 895 Times in 440 Posts
You might consider Jamis, too.
Old 02-17-22, 12:21 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
Forget the Cannondales, IMO. Steep top tube and suspension totally unneeded.
The only diff with the 2 OP choices, is the Trek has 35 mm and the Sirrus has 32 mm tires, both have schraeder valves which is good IMO. 35 mm is better for sure, mostly what I've ever used. Both are 46/30 2x, also good.
And for sure buy the bigger size over a too small one.
PS... Cannondales have ZERO resemblance to the old days, AFAIK.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 02-17-22 at 12:50 AM.
Old 02-17-22, 10:33 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,986 Times in 4,452 Posts
All of the Quick series Cannondales have rigid forks until you get to the CX series which is a different animal entirely.
Old 02-17-22, 12:05 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
Sram or Shimano kind of like Coke or Pepsi. My bikes have both and both function well. I like Shimano a bit better because I have worked on Shimano stuff more. I guess it is the equipment that has been good to you.
Old 02-17-22, 12:11 PM
TPL

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 64 Posts
heat treated aluminum frame with oversized diameter tubing
Old 02-17-22, 09:50 PM
SteveInConverse

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
related issues?: any availability issues with the models you are looking at? any differences w/ the bike shops you would buy from?
Nope! Availability is good and the shop I'm working with have taken some time to work with me and actually talked me into the Trek FX2 rather than the DS1 I came in to look at after talking to me about the riding I was going to be doing.
Likes For SteveInConverse:
Old 02-17-22, 09:54 PM
SteveInConverse

Originally Posted by big john
All of the Quick series Cannondales have rigid forks until you get to the CX series which is a different animal entirely.
​​​​​​THanks! I ended up going with a black Trek FX1. I was going to go to Austin to check out Specialized and Cannondale and ran out of time.
Old 02-17-22, 09:56 PM
SteveInConverse

Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
Forget the Cannondales, IMO. Steep top tube and suspension totally unneeded.
The only diff with the 2 OP choices, is the Trek has 35 mm and the Sirrus has 32 mm tires, both have schraeder valves which is good IMO. 35 mm is better for sure, mostly what I've ever used. Both are 46/30 2x, also good.
And for sure buy the bigger size over a too small one.
PS... Cannondales have ZERO resemblance to the old days, AFAIK.
One of the things I do want to do to the FX1 is put a little wider tire on it. I got the XL frame and it feels really good.
Old 02-17-22, 09:56 PM
SteveInConverse

Originally Posted by Fredo76
You might consider Jamis, too.
I'll check into them, thank you!
Old 02-17-22, 09:58 PM
SteveInConverse

Originally Posted by Iride01
Do you buy Ford, Buick, Chevrolet, Nissan, Toyota and etc?

It's much the same.

I'd pick the one that calls to you the most. If these are from different dealers in your area, then pick the one from the dealer you think you can get along with the most. If you are buying online, then one that has a authorized dealer/service near you so any potential issues and questions can be addressed first hand in person.
My lbs is a Trek dealer and I went with the FX1 XL frame size. I decided not to worry about all the details and went with a bike that felt good when I was on it.
Old 02-18-22, 04:45 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveInConverse
Nope! Availability is good and the shop I'm working with have taken some time to work with me and actually talked me into the Trek FX2 rather than the DS1 I came in to look at after talking to me about the riding I was going to be doing.
great, happy trails! everyone in my family of 4 has a Trek FX (older models w/ rim brakes) I've found them to be snappy shifters, durable & reliable
Old 02-18-22, 06:30 AM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 792 Times in 403 Posts
I've been on a crusade against Trek since they threw Greg Lemond under the bus. I've been a fan of Specialized since they were just a maker of bicycle tires. I've owned a couple Specialized bikes, and found them to be well-made. I've never had a Cannondale, though that may change in the near future.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.