Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

What To Do If The Chain Drops While Riding

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-22, 01:11 AM
AOSTIRMOTOR
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

In the process of riding, the bicycle will inevitably have problems. Instead of worrying about something going wrong, learn the tricks to troubleshoot early.

Dropping the chain is the worst nightmare for novice cyclists, but the chain drop actually means that the chain is not properly stuck on the gear, and falls on the flywheel or the inside and outside of the large plate.

When the chain is dropped, don’t pull it casually, otherwise the more the chain gets stuck in, the harder it is to take it out. First, observe the position where the chain fell, take out the chain, and put the nearest chainring to complete the repair. It’s very simple. However, if the bicycle often falls off the chain, it may be that the limit screw of the derailleur needs to be adjusted again, you can go to the repair shop to check and repair.
Old 06-28-22, 09:57 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
First, TURN THE POWER OFF.
Likes For Doc_Wui:
Old 06-30-22, 10:31 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AOSTIRMOTOR
In the process of riding, the bicycle will inevitably have problems. Instead of worrying about something going wrong, learn the tricks to troubleshoot early.

Dropping the chain is the worst nightmare for novice cyclists, but the chain drop actually means that the chain is not properly stuck on the gear, and falls on the flywheel or the inside and outside of the large plate.

When the chain is dropped, don’t pull it casually, otherwise the more the chain gets stuck in, the harder it is to take it out. First, observe the position where the chain fell, take out the chain, and put the nearest chainring to complete the repair. It’s very simple. However, if the bicycle often falls off the chain, it may be that the limit screw of the derailleur needs to be adjusted again, you can go to the repair shop to check and repair.
Some cheap e-bikes just have to tendency to drop the chain especially if on rough terrain. Had that problem with mine ( cheap e-Mt. bike ). My bike has a 9-speed rear hub motor and one front chain ring. As soon as I took it on rough trails I was dropping the chain almost every two hundred feet. Need I say, not acceptable!! With the help of the LBS I was able to remove the stock outer chain guard from the crank arm holding the front chain ring. After that I installed a chain guide over the top of the front chain ring. Adding a bit of overkill I added a chain tensioner on the chain stay to pull on the lower part of the chain. Probably don't need the tensioner but it all works and haven't dropped the chain since.
Old 07-01-22, 03:47 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Recover it with the FD.
Old 07-01-22, 04:58 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 264 Posts
If on a group ride claim you have no idea how to fix the problem and hope some kind hearted soul will get their hands dirty while you watch...
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 07-23-22, 09:46 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
check tension and chainline
TURN OFF BIKE

Above Typed with my remaining fingers
Likes For bikebikebike:
Old 07-23-22, 10:40 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
Originally Posted by AOSTIRMOTOR

When the chain is dropped, don’t pull it casually,
I do it purposely with a flourish of my arms in the air so other cyclists can see that I can overcome when I don't maintain my drivetrain properly.