Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Height adjustable HB

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Height adjustable HB

Old 09-17-22, 03:15 PM
ThisJustIn

Bikes: Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Height adjustable HB

Is this system of handlebar able to be raised up and down?
Old 09-17-22, 03:29 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 1,460 Times in 1,011 Posts
Originally Posted by ThisJustIn
Is this system of handlebar able to be raised up and down?
The height of the handlebar cannot be raised from what is shown in the above photograph without buying a new stem.

Either (or both) of the spacers below the stem may be removed and reinstalled above the stem, or the stem maybe installed upside down, thereby decreasing the distance between the stem to the ground, which effectively lowers the handlebar.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 09-17-22, 03:41 PM
ThisJustIn

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
The height of the handlebar cannot be raised from what is shown in the above photograph without buying a new stem.

Either (or both) of the spacers below the stem may be removed and reinstalled above the stem, or the stem maybe installed upside down, thereby decreasing the distance between the stem to the ground, which effectively lowers the handlebar.
Thank you very much! I had suspected this but a family member of mine was disputing it. Thanks to you, I have won my argument.

Cheers
Old 09-17-22, 03:49 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,836 Times in 2,294 Posts
The usual goal with a question about raising the stem is to actually have the hand holding location (the grips on a non drop bar) higher. This can be had by a few methods.

One has been mentioned, a stem with a higher angling from the steerer to the bar clamp. Do know that a higher angled stem, for the same length, will also bring the grips back toward the seat (for better or not).

A different handle bar with a riser bend in it will lift the grips above the central bar clamp height. This might not bring the bars back towards the seat depending on the bar having similar swept back, or not.

A method which I dislike is to install a steerer riser extension and mount the existing stem on that. The reason why I dislike this option is the addition of more connections to not be kept properly tight and the chance for greater flex with the added leverage an extender has on the steerer. Note that many of these extensions have fine print to not use them for off road riding...

When the bars, or the levers mounted on the bars, are moved higher up sometimes the cables are too short to not kink or bind up, especially when turning. If the cables end up needing added length to work well the old rears, if in good shape, can be moved to the fronts and only the rears need purchase.

An aspect most don't think of initially when doing this higher grip change is that the body will rotate up and back some. This tends to place more pressure on the wider portion of one's butt. Often a saddle change is found to be needed too. The saddle might only need a small rearward repositioning or a replacement. The rider will have to figure this out. Andy
Old 09-17-22, 08:07 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Don't ever let that 'family member' work on your bike.
Old 09-17-22, 08:14 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
Do you want to go down or up? Down is simple. Up requires buying new components, either bar or stem or both
Old 09-18-22, 03:54 PM
ThisJustIn

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Don't ever let that 'family member' work on your bike.
Hahah
Likes For ThisJustIn:
Old 09-18-22, 03:55 PM
ThisJustIn

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Do you want to go down or up? Down is simple. Up requires buying new components, either bar or stem or both
Up, and by a quite a bit as the bike is a medium frame and I typically ride a large one
Old 09-23-22, 12:06 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by ThisJustIn
Up, and by a quite a bit as the bike is a medium frame and I typically ride a large one
I recommend the purchase of a riser stem, like this one: https://ritcheylogic.com/bike/stems/...-axis-30d-stem. These folks also have riser handlebars.

You might need to install longer shift and brake cables.

Last edited by oldbobcat; 09-23-22 at 12:28 PM.