Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Garlatti completely original

Old 09-24-22, 09:06 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
First, a better picture of the subject. I adjusted the light and contrast.

I know someone that put a BMX brake on the rear to replace the long reach Universal centerpull.
Old 09-25-22, 12:04 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 10-02-22, 08:42 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
I read a comment that matches the situation here, the theory of holes, once you have dug one and find you are in deep, stop digging.
Old 10-05-22, 12:09 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude

DD
I hope it is here....

A lot of wasted bandwidth IMO

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 10-05-22, 04:27 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,489 Times in 1,189 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
I hope it is here....

Wonder how that works, two different companies, trash in the recycle and recycle in the trash. Like the bike, it would be a no go...
Old 10-05-22, 04:46 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
OK How about this solution

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 10-06-22, 02:15 AM
brixxton
resykler

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Reparto Corsa, Mongoose IBOC Campagnolo, Schwinn Super Sport, Mairag 4 Star, Canondale Criterium, Centurion Accordo RS, Specialized Hard Rock 1st Gen, Bianchi Special '81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 39 Posts
came across this post from another forum. incredible

modernretrorider
·
Registered
Joined Aug 19, 2006 · 8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · Sep 18, 2006

I use to go by another name but changed it cause the name I use now better suits me and my riding. I hope my post helps someone since the first time I did a search on here for Garlatti Bike and asked a question I got nothing but these know it all no life jerks who think every post is a scam and there opinion is the bible. Anyway hope my post helps some one like me.This is not to bring attention to a ebay auction. This is a post about a bike I bought and had no luck finding info about when I bought it. Im not sure of the model year but for those looking on ebay the Vintage Garlatti bikes are friction shift meaning you dont have the clicking between gears and makes it alittle harder till you learn. I had my friend go over my Garlatti since he is a local wrench and he said he likes it although it was a entry level bike back then but really liked some of the stuff like the matchbox derailuer on the front and also the rear one. The brakes are center pull and they have good clearance and also are very strong. A down side is the bike are heavy and my guess is 28 to 30 pounds since all is steel even crank. The wheels are steel with indentions but when wet will be useless. You cant change over to 700 series wheels cause the brakes want go down that far. Also the brakes sing because of the indentions so i am going to get new wheels but cheap ones. My bike is a 61 cm and fits me nicely so I can ride more upright but the handlebars are narrow and the seatpost clamp is junk. The 27 1 1/4 are nice since they take up alot of the bumps. The brazing isnt that great but its a low price built bike so thats ok. Overall I am happy with the bike but the shifting is tuff. But from what componets are on the bike is is a 70's model year and also the water bottole cage has a latch to keep it from bouncing out on ruff roads and also had a lid for drinking and a lid for sprinleing water on your self. Hope this helps your decision since there poping up more and more. Also dont really care what the snobs here think. Just those who ride them or are looking. One more thing and that is had to change the cables because they were binding up.
Likes For brixxton:
Old 10-06-22, 02:19 AM
brixxton
resykler

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Reparto Corsa, Mongoose IBOC Campagnolo, Schwinn Super Sport, Mairag 4 Star, Canondale Criterium, Centurion Accordo RS, Specialized Hard Rock 1st Gen, Bianchi Special '81

Originally Posted by xiaoman1
I hope it is here....

nuff said
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bob_hi4s.jpg (3.4 KB, 41 views)
bob_hi1s.jpg (5.4 KB, 39 views)
bob_hi3s.jpg (4.6 KB, 39 views)
bob_hi2s.jpg (5.1 KB, 39 views)
Old 10-06-22, 03:08 AM
brixxton
resykler

deja vu

- - Vintage Garlatti Road Bike (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...road-bike.html)
Old 12-11-22, 06:48 PM
brixxton
resykler

Sold, thank-you to everyone

who took the time for input on the Garlatti project. It had some serious legs. I had a lot of fun and learned a lot. In the end I sold it with upgraded gearset (still Campy) and wheels (Dura Ace) . I gave the buyer the history and the origional Campag Valentine gear set and the centre pull brakes so it can be restored.
He was happy, I was ok, time to let go
In the end after subtracting the cost of the upgrades, cables, chain,wheels etc the Garlatti project netted me $380 clear and many good times. So I'm not complaining. I just need an other bike to obsess over. Anyone got a Schwinn Curcuit !!

Last edited by brixxton; 12-11-22 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Pic
Old 12-11-22, 07:25 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Quoted: 3782 Post(s)
Liked 3,287 Times in 2,147 Posts
-----

...one day when we have all vectored to our respective rewards this thread will continue to chug along...

-----
Old 12-12-22, 09:46 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by brixxton
the Garlatti project netted me $380 clear.

Old 12-13-22, 01:27 AM
BMC_Kid 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 146 Posts
In the end after subtracting the cost of the upgrades, cables, chain,wheels etc the Garlatti project netted me $380 clear and many good times.
Old 12-13-22, 01:34 AM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 139 Posts
Don't doubt the man.

After those tasteful gold enhancements, the extra braking power of that rear brake, the advanced under the bracket cable routing and the aero routing of the brake cables any true collector would be chomping at the bit.

Last edited by Mackers; 12-13-22 at 01:38 AM.
Old 12-13-22, 07:09 AM
BMC_Kid 

Originally Posted by Mackers
Don't doubt the man.

After those tasteful gold enhancements, the extra braking power of that rear brake, the advanced under the bracket cable routing and the aero routing of the brake cables any true collector would be chomping at the bit.
I don't know whether you are being serious or yanking my chain. I came to this thread just recently and if this story is actually true, then this guy should make it a business because he has managed to take a bike that on it's best day, is in my opinion worth about $250, but to the right buyer, I guess the sky's the limit. Who knows? I wouldn't be into it if someone gave it to me but I digress. He stripped it down to the bare steel from what I can see removing any last trace of originality, combined a bunch of mismatched, lower-tier used components, and didn't so much as service the headset or bottom bracket and he netted $380? It is a good story, just not believable, IMHO.

Edit: I take that back. I see it has a front Dura-Ace hub. Definitely worth 4-5 times what I was thinking it was worth.

Last edited by BMC_Kid; 12-13-22 at 07:19 AM.
Old 12-13-22, 11:30 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
Good news the constipated sale complete, oh boy that must feel good!
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 12-13-22, 12:16 PM
brixxton
resykler

a little late......

Originally Posted by BMC_Kid
I don't know whether you are being serious or yanking my chain. I came to this thread just recently and if this story is actually true, then this guy should make it a business because he has managed to take a bike that on it's best day, is in my opinion worth about $250, but to the right buyer, I guess the sky's the limit. Who knows? I wouldn't be into it if someone gave it to me but I digress. He stripped it down to the bare steel from what I can see removing any last trace of originality, combined a bunch of mismatched, lower-tier used components, and didn't so much as service the headset or bottom bracket and he netted $380? It is a good story, just not believable, IMHO.

Edit: I take that back. I see it has a front Dura-Ace hub. Definitely worth 4-5 times what I was thinking it was worth.
welcome to the thread though it's at it's end, no chain yanking. I had fun. the bike in it's final incarnation performed beautifully, no back brake, and fellow bikers would always love it in the flesh. I was offered $100 for the original wheels and took it replacing them with Dura-Ace + as you noticed, causing the rear brake issue. I guess that brings it closer to your $250. I also gave the buyer the original running gear, derailleurs, brakes etc. I'm not a purist and those lower-tier components worked seamlessly together. I suggest stepping out of the box once in a while. You might have some fun.
Cheers again for all the input, it was time to let it go........
Old 12-13-22, 12:41 PM
brixxton
resykler

last words

the main thing that I have been shown by this thread is that we have two camps helpers and harassers.
a few months back a had a visit from a guy my age that was interested in the bike. Like myself he was an addict with too many projects and little space. He loved the bike but knew if he took it he would end up spending $$ getting it re-chromed. The next day I received a thank-you for showing it and a pay-pal for a nice chunk of change.
on the other hand, never in real time, I've been a target for unhappy people
all in all I think there are more helpers and as many have said it's your bike....................
Old 12-13-22, 02:01 PM
BMC_Kid 

welcome to the thread though it's at it's end, no chain yanking. I had fun. the bike in it's final incarnation performed beautifully, no back brake, and fellow bikers would always love it in the flesh. I was offered $100 for the original wheels and took it replacing them with Dura-Ace + as you noticed, causing the rear brake issue. I guess that brings it closer to your $250. I also gave the buyer the original running gear, derailleurs, brakes etc. I'm not a purist and those lower-tier components worked seamlessly together. I suggest stepping out of the box once in a while. You might have some fun.
Cheers again for all the input, it was time to let it go........
I actually was not responding to you.
Old 12-13-22, 02:50 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by Mackers
the advanced under the bracket cable routing...
That kind of forward thinking inventiveness is worth $380 right there!
Old 12-15-22, 09:36 AM
repechage

Must have been sold to a guy with money to burn. Was his first name Elon?
Likes For repechage:
Old 12-15-22, 10:07 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
If it is Elon, he will likely have to sell more Tesla stock to pay for the OP's valuation on this bike . . .

Last edited by bikemig; 12-15-22 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-15-22, 10:34 AM
repechage

Originally Posted by bikemig
If it is Elon, he will likely have to sell more Tesla stock to pay for the OP's valuation on this bike . . .
as of right now basically 157. Per share.
not too many, sell four and have enough to get a stack of pancakes as Sears fine foods.
Likes For repechage:
Old 12-16-22, 04:21 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26249 Post(s)
Liked 10,231 Times in 7,100 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Originally Posted by bikemig
...strange. Buying something that is not all that valuable to begin with, ******g it up in various ways, then attempting to profit from those mistakes, seems to be the new San Francisco business model.
Old 12-16-22, 11:14 PM
brixxton
resykler

Garlatti frames don’t carry the esteemed reputation of their contemporaries, but they still retain the style and glamor of an era when even entry level bikes were constructed from lugged steel and made by hand. The Italian bicycle industry, during the 70s and 80s, was quite incestuous, builders were manufacturing frames for each other and re-badging was rife. Garlatti created some frames for Cinelli that were designated ‘Riviera’ and exported as ‘replica racing frames’ to the US. Garlatti, it was rumored, was still in the bicycle business until only recently, creating frames for a niche local market. They were normally specified with a cottered crank set, steel rims, Weinmann brakes and a smattering of Campagnolo. This example is one of the finest to be found, in the collection of Eroica Cicli.

https://forums.bikeride.com/thread-7169.html

https://budgetbicyclectr.com/1970-s-...d-bicycle.html

Emilio Garlatti at the beginning of the last century believed in the new means of locomotion of that period: the bicycle. Thus began his activity in the historic headquarters in the center of San Vito al Tagliamento repairing and selling to the public the bicycles of the Bersaglieri, the same bicycles that will be used in the First World War.
In the first post-war period, the business developed steadily and the bicycle took off as a universal, economical and safe means of transport.
In the years of the Second World War Emilio founded the IVES "Fabbrica Velocipedi Emiliana Sala", based in Parma, thus escaping the war which in the Triveneto, his homeland, prevented any development of any private initiative.
At the same time, however, he also maintains the activity in San Vito, as a branch of his factory, where he dedicates himself to the sale and distribution of his bicycles built in the Parma factory.
The 70s are the years of austerity, the price of hydrocarbons is skyrocketing.
The bike market is at its all-time high, many use the bike for short trips, leading to a new appreciation as a means of transport and a new vision of it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.