Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

SA AG Dyno Hub Servicing

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

SA AG Dyno Hub Servicing

Old 10-18-22, 12:52 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 2,272 Posts
SA AG Dyno Hub Servicing

I am the wrench for some guy's rebuilding of an English 3 spd. The SA AG Dyno Hub is dated 1953. He asked me to overhaul the hubs then lace up both wheels w/ new rims and spokes. I'm quite comfy working on AWs but it's been close to 40 years since I last did one of the rear Dyno Hubs and I don't remember if I took it completely apart or just did a flush and lube. I looked through my Sutherlands manuals (yes, I have a few including the separate coaster, internal hub one) and Sheldon Brown's site but don't see an answer to my question.

Can I pull the axle with the rest of the guts (as the kids that come into the shop say) and leave the armature within the magnets?

I see all kinds of warnings to not separate the armature from the magnets but no mention if one has to tap the magnets out of the hub shell to access the gear internals. I know my options if I can't pull the internals. Andy
Old 10-18-22, 01:27 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,346 Posts
Please don't rely entirely on this, but if memory serves, the warning about separating the armature from the magnet relates to long term storage, not short intervals when servicing.

Generally magnets need to be stored with a "keeper" to maintain their field properly. In this case the armature is the keeper, so removing it long term will weaken the magnet. So, my advice is to replace the armature into the magnet if your service gets interrupted waiting for parts or whatever. Otherwise, proceed normally.

BTW- the magnets are pretty brittle, so EXTREME care is needed if you decide to remove it.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 10-19-22, 07:21 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
1960 Sturmey shop manual with AG section:

Sturmey-Archer Heritage :: History

Download the PDF. Bob's your uncle.

Sturmey sez: "Separation, even for a fraction of a second, will cause loss of magnetism."
Old 10-19-22, 07:49 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
Sturmey-Archer did offer a "keeper ring" to protect the magnets when servicing the hub. It's just a simple steel ring sized to fit closely to the magnets:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
keeper.jpg (61.0 KB, 8 views)
keeper-ring.jpg (46.9 KB, 8 views)
Keeper_Ring_spec.jpg (46.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 10-19-22, 09:56 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

tcs- I have spent hours looking at this book a long long time ago. It is what helped develop my love of SA hubs. The shop where I first took apart SA hubs had this book on its shelves for reference (back when we turned pages instead of the clicking on an arrow). The text is pretty much what is also shown by the Sheldon Brown site. So, unfortunately no new info for answering my question.

All- I've decided that I will not take the magnet/armature out of the shell and only remove what I can otherwise for cleaning. The gears seem to work well and the bearing surfaces I can see are in good shape, so I don't think there will be any parts needs. I will talk to the guy about this approach before going ahead. Thanks for the help. Andy
Old 10-19-22, 03:21 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Here's what the hub looks like after the solvent cleaning. The axle is left in the shell, it won't come out w/o doing a magnet removal, which I am avoiding. These will air dry for a few days and I'll reassemble with strategically placed grease and OEM oil. Note I have zip tied the parts that I need to keep in the right order and locations.

What's not seen are the replacement rims (original Raleigh R23.0 EA-3, used but in nice shape), the front hub, spokes and spoke elbow washers. These hubs have a very thin flange (close to half what's common these days).and modern spoke elbows are longer then back in the day. The washers will place the crotch of the elbow against the flange, about 5 washers for each spoke. (Unless I find a source for old NIB spokes with their shorter elbows). Andy

Last edited by Andrew R Stewart; 10-23-22 at 05:44 PM.
Likes For Andrew R Stewart:
Old 10-23-22, 02:53 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Here's what the hub looks like after the solvent cleaning.
Was there an image?
As for the magnets losing their strength, unless the magnets are really of inferior quality I doubt that brief periods without the armature would do any harm. A piece of iron pipe of a suitable diameter could be used as a keeper.
I re-built a "Joule" (first generation) dynohub and had the armature out for a few hours at a time while working on the bearings. Between sessions I left the armature ("stator", more correctly) in the hub shell. No loss of function was apparent. The magnets in this case were of the "ceramic" type, so perhaps their maintenance requirements were different.
Some possibly relevant discussion HERE.

EDIT: Some even *more* relevant discussion HERE, ranging from keeper "analogues" to actual keepers.

Last edited by sweeks; 10-23-22 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-23-22, 05:47 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Sorry to forget to attach the shot... I'll check out the linked discussions, thanks.

I was able to buy some "old world" spokes with short elbows. Tomorrow I'll try cutting and threading one down in the hope that that will go well. The elbow/flange fit is far better than with modern elbow sizes. Andy