Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bianchi or Motobecane?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bianchi or Motobecane?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-22, 11:58 PM
brixxton
resykler

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Reparto Corsa, Mongoose IBOC Campagnolo, Schwinn Super Sport, Mairag 4 Star, Canondale Criterium, Centurion Accordo RS, Specialized Hard Rock 1st Gen, Bianchi Special '81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 39 Posts
Bianchi or Motobecane?

Motobecane Grande Touring , champagne gold, all original in great condition down to the suede saddle.Early 80's. Same time period Bianchi Limited, deep red, all original in great condition, Ishwata Japanese frame. Both have Suntour VG-T Lux gearset the only real difference being the brakes side pull Shimano 600 on the Bianchi and Weinmann 610 center pulls on the Motobecane.
The frames are mirror images, yet they are made of different types of steel in different countries.
If you had to choose between them.....?

​​​

Last edited by brixxton; 11-20-22 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Pic
Old 11-20-22, 12:07 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
The moto is frame triangle only for the good steel not sure about the bianchi, also the frames are pretty far apart size wise. Which one fits best?
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 11-20-22, 01:28 AM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 351 Posts
Can you even have the Moto? That one looks locked up pretty tightly……well, there’s always a way….but

Yeah, 52telecaster is right, the size difference will matter here. If all were equal I’d choose the Motobecane, I love the ride of the Grand Touring but in this case it’s too small for me so I’d take the Bianchi. The Moto does get a few pounds lighter when you remove the shackles.
Likes For Pcampeau:
Old 11-20-22, 02:18 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Pcampeau
Can you even have the Moto? That one looks locked up pretty tightly……well, there’s always a way….but

Yeah, 52telecaster is right, the size difference will matter here. If all were equal I’d choose the Motobecane, I love the ride of the Grand Touring but in this case it’s too small for me so I’d take the Bianchi. The Moto does get a few pounds lighter when you remove the shackles.
I do like Motos and it's funny how little a tre tubi style frame gives up to better frames. Motos are always nice but the bianchi would fit me better.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 11-20-22, 06:47 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2926 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
I don’t think that is a Limited but a ‘83 Special with, as mentioned, TreTubi ChroMo and Mangalloy stays n fork.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-20-22, 07:43 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
First and foremost is size , but the Motobecane would get my vote. The difference in size is concerning , no middle ground , really. When I am looking at bikes , unless just for parts, I look at the size of the frame to decide if I’m even interested.
Old 11-20-22, 08:10 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2926 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
First and foremost is size , but the Motobecane would get my vote. The difference in size is concerning , no middle ground , really. When I am looking at bikes , unless just for parts, I look at the size of the frame to decide if I’m even interested.
Shall we say sizing is Paramount? 😜.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 11-20-22, 09:17 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 462 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Shall we say sizing is Paramount? 😜.
As some shepherd might put it: "That was a pretty ba-a-a-a-a-a-d pun, Bianchigirll."

Wish I'd thought of it.

Last edited by Hondo6; 11-20-22 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Correct typo.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 11-20-22, 10:15 AM
brixxton
resykler

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Reparto Corsa, Mongoose IBOC Campagnolo, Schwinn Super Sport, Mairag 4 Star, Canondale Criterium, Centurion Accordo RS, Specialized Hard Rock 1st Gen, Bianchi Special '81

Size matters

the Bianchi is 25" to the Motobecane 23".., At 5'10" the Motobecane is a better fit but the Bianchi is very fast, it could be the color. It has Ishiwata 022 and Piaggio decals , the seller told me it was a limited but it wouldn't be the first time a bike has been misrepresented. I put new white cable housings and bar wrap on it but I already have a Bianchi I love.
The shackles add nearly 10lbs but I haven't had a bike pinched using it and that's over a year in the bay area!
Quality problrms!

Last edited by brixxton; 11-20-22 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-20-22, 11:25 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Lose that Bianchi.
Old 11-20-22, 12:43 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,643 Times in 2,602 Posts
Comfy saddle positioning on the Bianchi.
Old 11-20-22, 01:15 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,746 Times in 1,190 Posts
The badging on the "Bianchi" looks entirely non-original, and distinctly non-professional.

The Moto has a replacement front wheel with one of those infernal spoke patterns.

But as said, it's all academic, given the size difference.
Old 11-20-22, 05:17 PM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 246 Posts
If Motobecane is your size, you might have your answer right there. There's no point in getting a frame that will be uncomfortable. I mean I would choose the Motobecane any time or wait for the correct size one if it didn't fit.
It will need another front wheel (or wheelset), but that's an easy fix: throw away the current one to the junk pile where it belongs and build a nice, proper, 32 / 36H wheel on a decent front hub. That seatpost being totally inserted gives me shivers, but it's the case with both frames (WHY?)
Old 11-20-22, 07:19 PM
brixxton
resykler

It's a good thing

Originally Posted by madpogue
The badging on the "Bianchi" looks entirely non-original, and distinctly non-professional.

The Moto has a replacement front wheel with one of those infernal spoke patterns.

But as said, it's all academic, given the size difference.
I always forget how much you folks pay attention to detail, which is very cool and I need to pay more attention to my pics.
The Motos front wheel, the Belgian concave was being worked on.
The Bianchi saddle is all the way down and quite secure, the big is too big for me and the faded gold decals are badly touched up with paint, they need fixing
and the blue lettering on the forks is recent. The Ishi 022 and Piaggio are origional.
I am going to ask $295 for the Bianchi, that seems about right for S.F. were I see similair machines for over $400, I will try and post recent pics if anyone
is intrersted.
Likes For brixxton: