Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Experience with Adventure Cycling Association tours

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Experience with Adventure Cycling Association tours

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-20, 10:34 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2598 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
My first group tour was a fully supported, week long ride up the Blue Ridge Parkway (the northern half). It was one of the best group rides I've been part of. The leadership team was great. You've heard "a place for everything, and everything in its place"? That was the kind of ride it was. Everything they could control was perfect. Things that weren't under their direct control, they managed to make things work.

On my first tour, we crossed paths with a van-supported Trans Am group. The riders were uniform in their praise of the leaders. We saw them when the place they were going to camp in Jackson, MT had closed the week before their arrival. I was impressed by how well, and how quickly, they adapted to that (even if the riders had to pay an exorbitant price for their dinner dessert!).
Old 08-24-20, 11:17 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I was going to give a short story similar to this topic, but decided not to as it might sound like ACA guides are worse than they really are. I think only a few are not so good.

I mentioned that on my other trip that the guide was not so good. I overheard him say to someone that he really liked being a guide for ACA because he and his wife could get paid to go on vacation. And that was how he treated it, he only put in a couple hours of work each day. I think it highly unlikely that you would ever see them on a cross country trip, he and his wife were only doing this for week long trips.
1. I agree with what is expressed in the first paragraph. As noted, we had a total of three. Two were terrific. The one who sucked was a last minute replacement for a replacement. Cancelling the tour would have been a horrible alternative.

2. As for paid vacations, I did a week+ hotel/supported trip in Italy built around the end of the Giro. The company was relatively well known. The owner and his wife, who were from the west coast, seemed, at times, to treat it like their way to spend the summer in Europe. My roomie got really pissed at them near the end. For a couple of days we were stuck in a hotel room that looked out onto what was basically a 24 hr. truck stop/fueling station. The noise bothered my roomie. When we moved to our last hotel, the owners took a room overlooking a beautiful lake while we again got no view. My roomie demanded that we swap rooms. The owner had no issue with basically telling me that my roomie was a PITA for complaining.
Old 08-24-20, 11:55 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
2. As for paid vacations, I did a week+ hotel/supported trip in Italy built around the end of the Giro. The company was relatively well known. The owner and his wife, who were from the west coast, seemed, at times, to treat it like their way to spend the summer in Europe. ....
Both of the ACA trips I did, the guides had never been on that route before, they basically work on the trips they would like to do and nobody that is guiding in their spare time wants to do the same boring trip repeatedly. If you asked them where something was, if it was not a grocery store or bike shop that would be listed in their trip book, they would not be able to tell you because they had not been there before. If ACA suddenly needs an emergency substitute, they look to their guides that are not currently assigned, a guide was injured on a trip that a friend of mine was on and they had a replacement guide within a few days.

I have done two Europe trips with REI Travel. REI contracts with local guide organizations in Europe to put on their trips. They provide the bikes, the lodging and most of the meals. Those local organizations that they contract with, that is their full time business. Thus if you asked the guide where the nearest ATM was, he or she knew it was down the road two blocks, turn right, it is inside the bank front door on the right because the guide has been there a dozen times before and had the same questions many times. For those guides, that was a major income source and they knew that they had to keep the customers happy or they might lose the contract. Once in the evening, several of us were sitting around a picnic table, the guide was also sitting there. I was standing. Three times the guide offered to give up his seat so I could sit down, but i kept telling him I preferred to stand at that time. That guide went out of his way to keep you happy.
Old 08-25-20, 07:18 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
Okay, before anyone gets their knickers in a twist, I like ebikes. I think I'd enjoy a group tour where everyone was on a Class 1 ebike.

A few of Adventure Cycling's tours (and these days many commercial tours) allow ebikes in the mix. Just me personally, I wouldn't sign up for one of those if I was riding a pedal bike. Part of riding in a group for me is the shared experience and the shared challenge. I've read enough travelogs to know the experience and the challenge is very different on the two machines.

Last edited by tcs; 08-25-20 at 07:24 AM.
Old 08-25-20, 07:20 AM
tcs
Palmer

Hmph. I see Adventure Cycling lists scheduled tours' assigned leaders and offers leader bios.

https://www.adventurecycling.org/guided-tours/tour-leaders/

Of course, AC is not running trips during the COVID era and these leaders could be scattered to the four winds and off in another chapter in their lives when tours resume (much like the staff at your old favorite restaurant).

Last edited by tcs; 08-25-20 at 07:35 AM.
Old 08-25-20, 07:42 AM
rmball28

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Surly Troll, Motobecane Century Ti Pro, Lynskey Urbano, Bike Friday Diamond Llama

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the guide bios

Thanks for pointing out the guide bios. That is a nice find.
Old 08-25-20, 07:53 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by tcs
A few of Adventure Cycling's tours (and these days many commercial tours) allow ebikes in the mix. Just me personally, I wouldn't sign up for one of those if I was riding a pedal bike. Part of riding in a group for me is the shared experience and the shared challenge. I've read enough travelogs to know the experience and the challenge is very different on the two machines.
People don't ride as one group. Too many variations in fitness levels. Some people are early starters. Others are slow to get out of camp. Some people stop in towns along the way. Others just keep riding.

On my unsupported ACA tour, one guy preferred riding alone. No one wanted to ride with another guy. Many days I ended up riding with one other person with whom I "clicked" and was about on par with fitness-wise, but some days I wanted to ride solo. The four twenty-somethings tended to ride together. The leader always rode sweep unless someone volunteered for the job on a particular day, which I did once or twice.

On my supported ACA tour, people who ride in groups tended to be friends who had come to the tour together, although that was not always the case. And you wouldn't want 100+ people all together on the road. What I experienced was the same as what I observed when I crossed paths with Cycle Montana twice. People would ride solo or in very small groups at best. Usually no larger than 4 or 5. If the group was larger it was because you ended up getting grouped together on something like a climb or after leaving a rest stop. The day I camped at the same location as the tour, some people were already in camp when I got there. Others trickled in over the next few hours.
Old 08-25-20, 08:08 AM
jfoobar

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Of course, AC is not running trips during the COVID era and these leaders could be scattered to the four winds and off in another chapter in their lives when tours resume (much like the staff at your old favorite restaurant).
That's a very good point and one I had not thought about. This is going to be an issue in a lot of seasonal industries and other non-career jobs as well. Furthermore, even if we do get a vaccine early next year, it will take many months before everyone who wants it, gets it. That will push up against summer season scheduling and create a lot of additional uncertainty. I would guess that next year's schedule will be pretty impacted by this as well and available slots in what does go off will be snapped up more quickly.
Old 08-25-20, 09:13 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by indyfabz
People don't ride as one group.
Hmm. Obvious?

But you rendezvous to start and again each evening, and share meals and talk (well, hopefully), discussing the day accomplished and the challenges ahead.
Old 08-25-20, 09:31 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by tcs
Hmm. Obvious?

But you rendezvous to start and again each evening, and share meals and talk (well, hopefully), discussing the day accomplished and the challenges ahead.
I was addressing point about eBikes being in the mix. I cannot see it making a difference other than make a few people a bit faster than they normally would be. I don't see it radically changing the group riding dynamic.

People amass for breakfast and dinner, if that's what you mean. In 2016, when I camped with Cycle Montana, I was invited to breakfast the next morning. Talk ran the gamut. It was actually a small world experience crossing paths with the tour. As I was pitching my tent I heard a woman speaking with an unmistakable tone and accent and at an unmistakable volume. She, her husband and a friend had been on Cycle Vermont 6 years earlier. All three were there. And one of the tour leaders had also participated (as a rider) in the Vermont tour.
Old 08-27-20, 09:30 AM
Wiggle

Bikes: 2019 Trek 520 Disc, 2012 Jamis Ventura Sport

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Since my two ACA trips were only a week long, it is hard for me to judge. That friend of mine that I mentioned above needed a new fork, he also needed a new rear wheel on that same trip.

On my month long solo trips where I am buying all my food and drink, I do not keep a separate budget for this sort of thing.

Cape Breton? I think I recognize that ice cream stand
Old 08-27-20, 06:37 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by Wiggle
Cape Breton? I think I recognize that ice cream stand
I looked at the date on the photo and at my GPS tracks, photo taken on the mainland about half way between Halifax and the bridge to Cape Breton Island. And it tasted really good.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 09-02-20, 09:53 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
I've done two self-supported ACA tours and enjoyed both. Each had two guides that were friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. Yes, the groups starts at the same time, but due to differing riding ability, speed and individuals stopping for photos, etc., the group doesn't always ride the entire route together.

One thing that a rider might/could/should be concerned about unless they're truly self-sufficient, is that last time I looked, the ACA rides I was interested in (pre-Covid) seem to now feature only a single guide rather than having two. I'm more comfortable with a leader and a sweep. A single leader may have problems if the group gets strung out. If you're trailing the group and have a mechanical or physical issue, if you're in an area without phone service, you may be stuck for quite some time until they discover that you're missing.

Perhaps I'm over-thinking this but...
Old 09-03-20, 03:55 AM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
I've done two self-supported ACA tours and enjoyed both. Each had two guides that were friendly, knowledgeable and helpful.
MAK, Which "self-supported" ACA tours did you take that had two leaders? I led four ACA TransAm tours and one partial Northern Tier over a period of 16 years and am not familiar with any that had two leaders other than the "van-supported" tours that do have two leaders, one to drive and one to ride.

The only exception I know was our 2000 TransAm Tour that had an assistant. It was a Y2K version of the trip with an extra large group, thus the extra leader was along but just on standby in the event I needed help. He was not paid but his tour was complementary. Several folks dropped out before the trip started so he wasn't needed at first. I had to leave in Kansas due to a health emergency and then he took over the group solo and started getting paid.

I actually enjoyed being the sweep. I'm a slow mover in the morning and like to linger in camp. I was also a slow rider and the sweep role gave me an excuse to be even slower!